The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've explained this before, and if you want to continue to pile on, please do.

I never heard of the "the Allsvenskan" until someone mentioned that was where Dahlen was playing.

When I've checked Hockey DB they list the league he plays in as the " Swe-1", which I understood to mean Tier 1............... so I when I did a search on "the Allsvenskan"

"the Allsvenskan" at DuckDuckGo

The top five "hits" were about football or Rugby............ so I asked for some clarification.

Now I understand that because I'm not on board with the "all Hate Melnyk, all the time" mindset that some people are, that you have no choice but to hit back at me at every opportunity, I guess in the thinking that'll I'll come over to that side .......... so continue with your mission if you must.
Can we all appreciate the greatness of this post? This from one of our resident business and finance experts.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

:laugh::laugh::laugh::help:

How can one be so incompetent at their job?
You could just throw darts at the list and come up with better signings.

Well, it's a vicious cycle. Nobody wants to sign with this team, hence the signings that you do get are bad, your team gets worse, even fewer people want to sign with this team, rinse, repeat.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Nice. Hopefully there are some tough questions asked.

They are pre-screening the questions so I wouldn’t hold my breath. Expect some cookie-cutter questions and answers regarding the teams future and how they are going to follow their so-called plan.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This call-in is another example of crappy Management.

Dorion is put out before the season ticket owners to answer questions?? Why isn’t Melnyck doing that? Doesn’t Dorion have enough on his plate already to not have to appease 9000 people?

I’m a Dorion fan but Melnyck has treated him horridly, Dorion is the definition of ‘someone else doing my dirty work for me’

I like Dorion, I think he’s got a lot to learn and some maturing to do to become the GM he wants to be (he’s very emotional in interviews, his ‘Pierre in orleans’ call was cute but kinda junior, I don’t like his treatment of EK in February and he mentioned an HFbordas rumour in his deadline presser) but the man needs support.

The prep time alone for this call is a waste of resources for a stretched staff. And my guess like everything else this season, it’ll be a gong show.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
why even bother if questions are prescreened?

doubt there will be any EK or Melnyk questions which are the lead cause of season seat drops.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well, it's a vicious cycle. Nobody wants to sign with this team, hence the signings that you do get are bad, your team gets worse, even fewer people want to sign with this team, rinse, repeat.

We have never been free agent players though, which I am fine with. Drafting and developing is what is going to lead to our success. Oh, and re-signing generational talented defensemen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, I was crunching some numbers, and I think if we sign Duchene and Stone to 7.5 mil deals, and Karlsson to 11, and Ceci to a bridge at 3.8, we can keep the salary (not cap) down around 74 - 75 mil in 2019-20 if we replace Smith with a ELC. 2020-21 would have some tough choices with Ceci needing another deal, Chabot needing a new deal, and Hoffman, but if we get by that and manage to get team friendly goalie deals (5 mil combined) we're potentially back in the 75 mil range.

This is with modest deals to White (2.2 avg) Dzingel (3) and Pageau (4) and not replacing Gaborik.

Maybe my numbers are off, but I think it's plausible that we could keep the core and still have a competitive team as we'd be able to move some guys out if prospects show they can replace them on ELC

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So, I was crunching some numbers, and I think if we sign Duchene and Stone to 7.5 mil deals, and Karlsson to 11, and Ceci to a bridge at 3.8, we can keep the salary (not cap) down around 74 - 75 mil in 2019-20 if we replace Smith with a ELC. 2020-21 would have some tough choices with Ceci needing another deal, Chabot needing a new deal, and Hoffman, but if we get by that and manage to get team friendly goalie deals (5 mil combined) we're potentially back in the 75 mil range.

This is with modest deals to White (2.2 avg) Dzingel (3) and Pageau (4) and not replacing Gaborik.

Maybe my numbers are off, but I think it's plausible that we could keep the core and still have a competitive team as we'd be able to move some guys out if prospects show they can replace them on ELC
Dzingel will be more between 4-5M. Duchene 9M. Ceci will probably get more.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
How’re we going to be competitive? We just finished 30th. Changes need to be made and we have to get rid of ALL dead weight passengers on the team.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Pay star players what they are worth, surround them with cheap skilled players on ELCS and cheap speedy skilled players who haven't had an opportunity to thrive yet. Get rid of the vets who are slow, overpaid, and liabilities on the ice.

Have a robust scouting program that finds talent in the lower pro leagues to replace ones that have outpriced themselves.

It's not f***ing hard to build a good team.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Pay star players what they are worth, surround them with cheap skilled players on ELCS and cheap speedy skilled players who haven't had an opportunity to thrive yet. Get rid of the vets who are slow, overpaid, and liabilities on the ice.

Have a robust scouting program that finds talent in the lower pro leagues to replace ones that have outpriced themselves.

It's not ****ing hard to build a good team.

Some things you should almost never do as a budget team like ours:

• give out multi year, multi million dollar deals to 4th liners, back up goalies and bottom pairing players.
  • trade your first round pick
  • have very public rumours about trading your star players
  • cheap out on core franchise players
  • Have a disastrous farm system
  • Have the owner who keeps the team under a strict budget constantly speaking publicly in a demeaning way about fans
  • Hire coaches who don't want young players and prospects in big roles on the team

I think that about covers it. So, pretty much an F on all fronts for management.

Hopefully Condon can rebound somewhat. For Anderson I have less hope.

Here's the nice cherry on top of the turd sundae that is the Condon contract: His salary will be going up every year and in the final year he makes 3M. Good luck finding a team who wants a bad backup goalie at 3M. The utter incompetence of Doron is something that is hard to imagine exists.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

It's not ****ing hard to build a good team.

There are 31 teams with lawyers, chartered accountants, top hockey people, even analytics guys, all competing for scarce resources to try and out do each other to build a winner. And whats more, hockey perhaps more than any of the other major sports requires a bit of luck to build a winner. Saying its easy to build a good team seems to demonstrate a startling lack of respect for how hard this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->