The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Dorion is getting waay too much credit for Ottawa going far. It's getting tiring that it's used as an out. Oh you can't criticize Dorion we just went the farthest we've gone in 20 years!!!11!

Karlsson willed the team in the finals with Boucher doing the most out of an average group. (it's his speciality) and and it also involved a whole lot of luck facing a depleted Bruins squad, a rangers squad that had no gamebreakers and a penguins squad that was missing its top two d-men.

Dorion is getting way too much credit for pure luck.

How on earth is that luck? That makes us the better team. Being better is luck?
I also wouldn't consider the Pittsburgh thing luck considering they're still the best team in the league without those guys.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Disingenuous if it is being used as a slight on management because it doesn't take into account the context of our situation.

Assuming we are still a budget team similar to last year, which everything thus far points to, we can't add without removing a player. It's that simple. We're the budget Blackhawks without the success. If this keeps up, every off season we're going to see ourselves having to shed established players in cap moves.

It happened last year when we shed Zib for the cost controlled Brassard. It happened this year when the team lost Methot and we know at the very least attempted to shed Phaneuf's contract coincidentally when Methot was still in play by Vegas.

Is it a coincidence that we're gearing up to be just around 68M in salary again after we sign Pageau+Dzingel who will probably have backloaded deals with a cheap year 1?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Dorion is getting way too much credit for pure luck.

Yeah, agreed.

It's almost like we should give him a couple of years and see how all of this plays out before either heaping too much praise on him or throwing the guy under the bus, right?

What a far-fetched, crazy idea.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Can I please get comes coles notes on why I am supposed to hate Dorion?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If only we had a Do"lo"rion

lLDbzWM.jpg

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Can I please get comes coles notes on why I am supposed to hate Dorion?

He's not as media savy as Bryan Murray, just better at putting NHL teams together, hiring coaches, creating a stable environment, managing assets, adding in the teams area of weakness, salary negotiations and creating competitive teams.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Dorion tends to overpay for whoever we are targeting. That's my only real gripe with him other then the fact that he acts like a total clown towards the media.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Was it? Smith a noticeable dip in play after the contract was signed. I'm hoping it was it was just a blip and it wasn't Zack reverting to the old Zack.

I thought Smith was one of our best players towards the end of the Pens series.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dorion tends to overpay for whoever we are targeting. That's my only real gripe with him other then the fact that he acts like a total clown towards the media.

That's because Dorion, with the consultation of Boucher, target specific players that would work well on our team/system. As opposed to other teams who go "bargain bin" hunting and cross their fingers that the players will fit. All our acquisitions last year were excellent for us. Yes, even Burrows.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I thought Smith was one of our best players towards the end of the Pens series.

Not sure if he was one of the best, but yeah, he had a couple of good games. Still doesn't out weigh the noticeable dip in play before he signed and after in general.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
That's because Dorion, with the consultation of Boucher, target specific players that would work well on our team/system. As opposed to other teams who go "bargain bin" hunting and cross their fingers that the players will fit. All our acquisitions last year were excellent for us. Yes, even Burrows.

QFT. Great post, couldn't have said it better.

Thompson is going to be the next Pyatt and make everyone realize that our coach knows what he's doing.

Even with the shackles of Melnyk still handcuffing us, it's so damn exciting to see a management group who's got a plan in mind.

I loved Brian Murray, but I feel like this team wasn't going in any particular direction. And it sorely lacked an identity, aside from the pizza line days, which is a team that he inherited.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Smack dab in the middle.

Huh.

Probably doesn't account for Chabot, for obvious reasons, and likely doesn't factor in MacArthur at all because he was with the team already.

Also interesting, it implies we and Carolina had the biggest gain from getting rid of poor players, but the guys we added are expected by them to have negative contributions.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Thompson is going to be the next Pyatt and make everyone realize that our coach knows what he's doing.

Even with the shackles of Melnyk still handcuffing us, it's so damn exciting to see a management group who's got a plan in mind.
Being the next Pyatt isn't really a hard thing to achieve. Also, what plan do you think management has?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hopefully Stalberg is back. More competition the better and that pick we traded for him isn't a waste.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
QFT. Great post, couldn't have said it better.

I loved Brian Murray, but I feel like this team wasn't going in any particular direction. And it sorely lacked an identity, aside from the pizza line days, which is a team that he inherited.

The consensus is that the players brought in are ok. Just OK. That's not the issue. The issue is the price being paid. Either by trade or by contract. If we got Burrows for a mid round pick, no one would have an issue. Or if we signed Thompson to a one year, at a lower salary, again no one would be continuing these complaints.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The consensus is that the players brought in are ok. Just OK. That's not the issue. The issue is the price being paid. Either by trade or by contract. If we got Burrows for a mid round pick, no one would have an issue. Or if we signed Thompson to a one year, at a lower salary, again no one would be continuing these complaints.

They were all better than "OK". They all ranged from good to excellent. The only exception was maybe Kelly, but that was literally a zero risk ultra-cheap 1-yr deal.

Also, are you really nitpicking over a couple hundred k on the Thompson signing?? Not only that, but other contracts Dorion has negotiated have been amazing. The Smith deal is a phenomenal deal. Pyatt was also a great deal on a great term for us.

It says alot about how good a job Dorion has been doing if the worst you usual haters can come up with was a trading away a 2nd tier prospect and signing a few player for a couple hundred k too much.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Was it? Smith a noticeable dip in play after the contract was signed. I'm hoping it was it was just a blip and it wasn't Zack reverting to the old Zack.

I think he is a good 200 foot versatile player that goes hot and cold pts wise. There were a number of our forwards that had long drought like stretches if I recall. He is excellent on the PK
What would you have done with him?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
by letting their 2nd best d-man go and doing nothing to replace him?

He drafted Chabot, drafted Harpur, drafted Englund, drafted Boro, drafted Claessen.

Methot is a lose for sure. Is the 2018 team complete - NO. The Zibby trade happened July 18. Still lot's of time and lot's of talent out there.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Yeah but the complaints are about almost non issues. Basically haters are gonna hate. If we went out in the 1st round, Dorion would have no leg to stand on, in this argument.

But he got tremendous results. Bottom line. There is basically no argument against his decisions right now without coming across as being totally jaded.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Kelly?

"Excellent"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->