The official, Pictures of yourself and gear.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Everytime I go to drop in there are people dressed up in NHL team sets.. its a pretty common thing..

Is it? I play in A / B level beer leagues and don't see anything like it. Perhaps it's common in lower levels though and I wouldn't know.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Is it? I play in A / B level beer leagues and don't see anything like it. Perhaps it's common in lower levels though and I wouldn't know.

In a league you generally have a team uniform, and I'll usually wear that to stick n puck, but sometimes for drop in I go full Kings, with matching socks. I don't get pant shells or anything, but if I can, I like to match. And if I switch teams during rec league, I ALWAYS get socks to match haha. Crazy like that!

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
In a league you generally have a team uniform, and I'll usually wear that to stick n puck, but sometimes for drop in I go full Kings, with matching socks. I don't get pant shells or anything, but if I can, I like to match. And if I switch teams during rec league, I ALWAYS get socks to match haha. Crazy like that!

Nothing wrong with players who do it.

But when goaltenders do it, it just reeks of dress up. The amount of planning that goes in to obtaining a full set of equipment to make one look like an actual NHL goalie double is just ridiculous.

JMO though.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
IF you are not a gear nut, you won't get it. Check out sports2k.com as it is a forum dedicated to mostly pro stock stuff and the people there love their matching and non-matching sets. It can be as simple as just matching gloves and shell/pants.

Full blown matching I think is less common.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Nothing wrong with players who do it.

But when goaltenders do it, it just reeks of dress up. The amount of planning that goes in to obtaining a full set of equipment to make one look like an actual NHL goalie double is just ridiculous.

JMO though.

Honestly though, I think MOST goalies have matching gear, in that their blocker, mitt and pads match. It's not that big of a step to go from there and buy a team jersey that matches those.

One of the guys in my league plays with black pads with red and white slashes across, so he wears a Canada jersey, and bought one of those pre-painted goalie helmets with a Canadian flag. He needs a jersey and a helmet anyway, so I don't really think he's going far out of his way to match.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I gotta say, I am of the "a little much, don't you think?" perspective with the matching uniform set (specifically, matching NHL uniform set).

Almost anyone I have ever seen wearing a full set of a team brand/colour at the local rink is always a target of sneers and laughs.

I hate when my socks match my sweater. I usually just wear a blank black jersey, but if I need a switch I have an old rec league grey sweater (grey with black/red trim, an NHL team should get on that).

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
I gotta say, I am of the "a little much, don't you think?" perspective with the matching uniform set (specifically, matching NHL uniform set).

Almost anyone I have ever seen wearing a full set of a team brand/colour at the local rink is always a target of sneers and laughs.

I hate when my socks match my sweater. I usually just wear a blank black jersey, but if I need a switch I have an old rec league grey sweater (grey with black/red trim, an NHL team should get on that).

It's not even about socks matching sweaters or having the same blocker / glove set as your pads. It's about the fact that expy went out of his way to get Carey Price themed Simmons pads and gloves, Montreal pants, shirt, and mask. And I believe expy also holds his glove the same way as Carey Price.

It's a little much, lol. :laugh:

SaintTavares

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn

I think the fact that, as an adult, you sneer at what somebody else wears is a little much. How could it possibly effect you what somebody else wears to the rink?

snizzbone*

I think the fact that, as an adult, you sneer at what somebody else wears is a little much. How could it possibly effect you what somebody else wears to the rink?

This.

The people making fun of people for doing stuff they enjoy are goofs.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
It's not even about socks matching sweaters or having the same blocker / glove set as your pads. It's about the fact that expy went out of his way to get Carey Price themed Simmons pads and gloves, Montreal pants, shirt, and mask. And I believe expy also holds his glove the same way as Carey Price.

Ehhh...

My glove and blocker are just Montreal colored, they don't match any of Carey Price's blocker or glove designs. The pads, as I stated earlier, only came in two designs, the price graphic, or the simmons graphic (which I didn't like), so it wasn't about copying Price, but about taking what I liked best. Also, pro level gear at half the price (no pun intended).

And jfyi, like I said in my other post, I bought an itech 960 because I wanted one (heck Price doesn't even wear a 960, I would've gotten a 9601 if I wanted to copy him). I have another helmet which I won off a contest, yet I still themed it after the Habs... because I wanted to :)

P.S. you'd be surprised how many goaltenders play fingers-up glove style.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Where in my post did I say that I say anything?

I'm just telling you what is heard in the dressing room after games so if you wouldn't mind, spare me your sanctimony.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I think it's awesome to have a matching set.

I personally don't do it because it does draw unwanted attention at times.

madguitarist

Jul 15, 2013
Moose Jaw, SK
So then...am I a Kelly Hrudey/Daniel Berthiaume/<insert 90s Kings goalie name here> wannabe for my setup? Or maybe I'm a Curtis Joseph wannabe, because the beast on my mask, bears a slight resemblance to the Cujo masks that he wore. Unreal that anyone would be lame enough to put a person down for choosing gear that they like. It's about as dumb as calling somebody a Sidney Crosby wannabe just because they bought SC87 stuff from SportChek when it was on sale...or calling them a wannabe for using an off the shelf stick with an NHLer's name on it. I think that expy's setup is pretty nice, and if he did choose it because he likes Price, then who cares? You don't have to wear it, and you didn't pay for it.

Anyways, back on topic...

Some pics of my new Reactor setup from last week. Loving it so far...

Attachments

• 13nov13-01.jpg
    13nov13-01.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 13nov13-02.jpg
    13nov13-02.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York

So you still haven't gotten past that stage where you judge others for doing what they like to do (things which have no effect on you?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->