TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Not sure what demographic they are trying to target on the drive but the music is terrible. Playing music from the 70's is great but that was 40+ years ago. And leever's emo grunge 90's mix tape needs to stop now.

people from the age of 65 to roughly 80 and are the majority of retirees. One's who would be home and listening to the radio from 2-6 pm, or in their cars from 2-4 pm. And, are of the generation predating cell phones, tablets, etc. and who actually still listen to over the air radio!!! would have been 20-35 in 1975. So, what music are they relating to?

Leever is ~ 42..making 1995 the year he was 17 years old... So what would you expect him to relate to? and who is coming home form work 3-6 pm? not 30-65 year olds. So, 5-30 yer olds in 1995. Making average age ~ 17 in 1995...About the same as Leever's

You haven't figured out why TSN and Sportsnet (TV only) have petite, young , good looking and high pitched voiced women on???? so that 65-80 year old male retirees, could relive their youth and fantasize about their 20 year old girlfriends. All the while, they are next to their 65-80 year old wives..who are, neither petite, young or good looking...or on a nasty side, satisfy "unhealthy fantasies".

Media is in a dilemma..the young are turning away. So they need to try and hang on to the old. There was a time the sub 35's ruled media attention. That has changed.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

You haven't figured out why TSN and Sportsnet (TV only) have petite, young , good looking and high pitched voiced women on???? so that 65-80 year old male retirees, could relive their youth and fantasize about their 20 year old girlfriends.

Hah, I got a good laugh out of this.

The young, good looking women sportscasters are there to appeal to ALL men, not just the over 65 crowd.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Hah, I got a good laugh out of this.

The young, good looking women sportscasters are there to appeal to ALL men, not just the over 65 crowd.

which is troubling in more ways than you think.

You have figured out that the appeal is "peodphelic" right? That a high pitched voice, petite female is:

Let's hope that this is only an issue with 75 year olds, who are past being able to do something about it and not some 40 year old.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

You have figured out that the appeal is "peodphelic" right? That a high pitched voice, petite female is:

Let's hope that this is only an issue with 75 year olds, who are past being able to do something about it and not some 40 year old.

Well you certainly take things in a dark direction.

Men will always be programmed to be attracted to younger women because we're hard wired to spread our dna to the most fertile women. Doesnt mean we're all secret pedophiles.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

Is Hugh Hefner a pedophile?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
people from the age of 65 to roughly 80 and are the majority of retirees. One's who would be home and listening to the radio from 2-6 pm, or in their cars from 2-4 pm. And, are of the generation predating cell phones, tablets, etc. and who actually still listen to over the air radio!!! would have been 20-35 in 1975. So, what music are they relating to?

Leever is ~ 42..making 1995 the year he was 17 years old... So what would you expect him to relate to? and who is coming home form work 3-6 pm? not 30-65 year olds. So, 5-30 yer olds in 1995. Making average age ~ 17 in 1995...About the same as Leever's

You haven't figured out why TSN and Sportsnet (TV only) have petite, young , good looking and high pitched voiced women on???? so that 65-80 year old male retirees, could relive their youth and fantasize about their 20 year old girlfriends. All the while, they are next to their 65-80 year old wives..who are, neither petite, young or good looking...or on a nasty side, satisfy "unhealthy fantasies".

Media is in a dilemma..the young are turning away. So they need to try and hang on to the old. There was a time the sub 35's ruled media attention. That has changed.
Yeah, I don't agree at all.

65-80 year olds don't care about sports radio. They are not the ones spending disposable income on the majority of the things advertised on the station. They are set in their ways and have fixed incomes in general.

Leever's age does have something to do with it but it's the producer of the show who are in their 20's who should be making relevant music choices for today's listener.

TSN and Sportsnet are diversifying the on air talent with younger cheaper options(females/minorities). It happens on the radio, print, and TV.

People listen from work, driving in their cars, farting around the house, going to see the ballet:)help:) so to say their target audience are just at home seems off. A good portion of the city works outside the 9-5 slot.

The music is about setting a tone. If Creed, Ace of Bass or Stone temple Pilots gets you there cool.

I don't hear high pitched women, I hear women.

I just wish they would talk about sports and just not the Sens. 5 years ago the complaint was that they didn't talk about the sens enough when the team was better. They would spend half there time talking about non sport topics. Now that the Sens suck all they do is elaborate on players who will probably not be year next season or soon there after. The Raptors won the championship and they promote games on TSN 1200 but never talk about them other than headlines involving them.

CFRA has let go all of their senior on air hosts and replaced them with younger know nothings.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The Raptors won the championship and they promote games on TSN 1200 but never talk about them other than headlines involving them.
I agree with everything you have stated in your post, and this one line stood out.

I have a similar issue with the fact that the station seems to have no problem discussing the Montreal Expos, a team that hasn't existed in the major leagues in years, while never, ever discussing the current teams/players in the MLB. I get it, baseball isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I would much rather hear about today's Blue Jays than yesterday's Expos. They have to remember a good chuck of their listeners may have not even been alive when the Expos were in Montreal.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
TSN1200 could really use Warne about now with so many hosts of the IR and on vacation. Hopefully, Steve Llyod is on vacation not on the IR too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not sure what demographic they are trying to target on the drive but the music is terrible. Playing music from the 70's is great but that was 40+ years ago. And leever's emo grunge 90's mix tape needs to stop now.
Lee has terrible taste in music. I’ll give him that.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
So I was listening to the 61 second shootout on the way in this morning and the last question that someone modified on the fly to get the guy to 7 was

What Western Canadian Team did the sens acquire Alex Chiasson from and what team did he leave Ottawa for where he won a cup. The contestant was understandably confused. The answer was apparently he came from the Flames and went to Washington except Sens got him in Spezza trade and traded him to the Flames- he went to Caps as a UFA.

If you are going to ask a damn question you should at least know the answers. Simmer, who was not there today, is the only thing keeping that morning show afloat.

Reactions: Countdown0

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Is Brennan the best they can do as a replacement for Simmer in the mornings?

He sounds incoherent and clueless most of the time. At least come semi prepared...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So I was listening to the 61 second shootout on the way in this morning and the last question that someone modified on the fly to get the guy to 7 was

What Western Canadian Team did the sens acquire Alex Chiasson from and what team did he leave Ottawa for where he won a cup. The contestant was understandably confused. The answer was apparently he came from the Flames and went to Washington except Sens got him in Spezza trade and traded him to the Flames- he went to Caps as a UFA.

If you are going to ask a damn question you should at least know the answers. Simmer, who was not there today, is the only thing keeping that morning show afloat.
I think its time the 61 second shootout be put into the vault. Its done its course and is not entertaining. I can't believe how many contestants lose the contest, the questions are so basic and simple. In the past, when the contest began, it was challenging, now its just far too simple to take up 15 minutes of airtime.

Reactions: CDN24

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think its time the 61 second shootout be put into the vault. Its done its course and is not entertaining. I can't believe how many contestants lose the contest, the questions are so basic and simple. In the past, when the contest began, it was challenging, now its just far too simple to take up 15 minutes of airtime.
I did it once and won. I got tickets for smackdown or some WWE thing, A hair cut, and Movie passes.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Man it can be eerie at times.

The moment a topic gets hot on here, almost inevitably the Guys on TSN1200 will discuss it.

At first I thought, they discuss it first, and this site takes over...But it is generally the other way around.

So, are they on here? in which case...okay, which of you???? We've insulted darn near all of them...Ohh, we have made enemies, haven't we.

Can it be that this site influences?????? or is it we all think alike. So a topic that bothers us on here is in parallel fashion bothering everyone else.

Man..I was always lukewarm on the whole social media tidal wave...but damn!!!

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Man it can be eerie at times.

The moment a topic gets hot on here, almost inevitably the Guys on TSN1200 will discuss it.

At first I thought, they discuss it first, and this site takes over...But it is generally the other way around.

So, are they on here? in which case...okay, which of you???? We've insulted darn near all of them...Ohh, we have made enemies, haven't we.

Can it be that this site influences?????? or is it we all think alike. So a topic that bothers us on here is in parallel fashion bothering everyone else.

Man..I was always lukewarm on the whole social media tidal wave...but damn!!!

They would not be doing their job if they did not read or get in tune with what the fans want. At the end of the day, they want to increase listeners and the only way to do it is to trigger discussions that fans want to talk about.

Ian Mendes has posted on this site many times, it should not come as a surprise if he checks in to see what we are discussing.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They would not be doing their job if they did not read or get in tune with what the fans want. At the end of the day, they want to increase listeners and the only way to do it is to trigger discussions that fans want to talk about.

Ian Mendes has posted on this site many times, it should not come as a surprise if he checks in to see what we are discussing.
Remember how they used blow off what people here were talking about? They used to really have a smug attitude.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Remember how they used blow off what people here were talking about? They used to really have a smug attitude.
The station seems to be at least mentioning the Raptors more since it was posted about here. Seems like they are listening. They used to be downright rude to anyone who criticised them in any manner.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Interesting debate question on Mendes/Stevenson just now

which is the worse draft day move?

1) Daigle over Pronger
2) B. Lee over Anze Kopitar
3) other..must be limited to a pick or two

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lee over Kopitar.

Pronger wouldn’t have lasted here any longer than he did in Hartford.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Lee over Kopitar (among others) for sure.

Daigle was always supposed to go #1, invigorated the fan base for a while and brought in $$$ to the franchise they otherwise wouldn't have seen. Regardless of "busting" he still played a vital role in the Senators turning into a well run big league franchise.

The Lee pick was an old man, who the game had passed by, picking for need over talent and wasting the teams highest pick in a decade.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Lee over Kopitar (among others) for sure.

The Lee pick was an old man, who the game had passed by, picking for need over talent and wasting the teams highest pick in a decade.

To be fair, Muckler believed that he was being ahead of the curve on the Lee pick.

I remember his interview on the day of that draft and he believed that in the "new NHL" with the red line removed, that puck moving d-men would be the most important asset.

Probably part of why he took Lee ahead of Marc Staal, a more traditional stay at home d-man.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
To be fair, Muckler believed that he was being ahead of the curve on the Lee pick.

I remember his interview on the day of that draft and he believed that in the "new NHL" with the red line removed, that puck moving d-men would be the most important asset.

Probably part of why he took Lee ahead of Marc Staal, a more traditional stay at home d-man.

Lee wasn't on the radar for a first round selection. Coulda, woulda, shoulda is as painful now as it was when Muckler blew it.
Lets hope PD has done his homework for this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->