The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bold is one way to put it!
Yup, pretty bold to basically tell your fan base to go f*** themselves and actually try to draw some ridiculous distinction between "types" of fans. Death knell.
Mission accomplished.

Been nearly 2 years now since I've been to a game when I used to go to at least 60% of home games and I likely won't watch a Sens game that isnt a Belleville game until next season.
Good! You're obviously not alone going by the numbers. Sad state of affairs, but well deserved. We're just following orders from the man himself at this point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And just what is that plan?
“We need a team that is consistently young,” Melnyk told CFRA host Bill Carroll. “We need a handful of veterans to take them through some of the rough patches . . . but our average age two years from now is going to be 23, 24. It’s going to be the youngest team.
“And I’m hoping to have a five- or six-year run with these players.”.....rinse and repeat!
In other words, his plan is to have a perpetual rebuild always trading players before they ever sniff UFA and plugging in ELC's.

I've proposed this idea as the only chance a cap floor team would ever have at competing, but it makes me sick to my stomach to think it'll be the reality here soon. We are going to be a cap floor team going forward and that's about it.

He's lining up a system to pay nobody and never have to reward them when the time comes, because they'll ensure that time never comes. 5 or 6 years out of each player, trade them away, rinse and repeat.

The Montreal Expos of the NHL being a farm system for the rest of the league. Glad he ordered me to go away for being a bad fan.

Reactions: Yak and Acidrain66

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
This was the most frightening part of the interview, imo.

If the organization can't even commit to a 26 year old, what's the point?
young,” Melnyk told CFRA host Bill Carroll. “We need a handful of veterans to take them through some of the rough patches . . . but our average age two years from now is going to be 23, 24. It’s going to be the youngest team.
“And I’m hoping to have a five- or six-year run with these players.”... theres your answer

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
You guys honestly think those twitter accounts are trolls and not bots? This is the organization that created a Lebreton Flats Facts twitter account full of propaganda. Then after being counter-sued by Ruddy they released a laughable counter-offer on twitter to salvage the deal.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
In other words, his plan is to have a perpetual rebuild always trading players before they ever sniff UFA and plugging in ELC's.

I've proposed this idea as the only chance a cap floor team would ever have at competing, but it makes me sick to my stomach to think it'll be the reality here soon. We are going to be a cap floor team going forward and that's about it.

He's lining up a system to pay nobody and never have to reward them when the time comes, because they'll ensure that time never comes. 5 or 6 years out of each player, trade them away, rinse and repeat.

The Montreal Expos of the NHL being a farm system for the rest of the league. Glad he ordered me to go away for being a bad fan.
Exactly! The man has no money to sustain NHL caliper team .

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Basically we're going to turn our team into Logan's Run

giphy.gif

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
You guys honestly think those twitter accounts are trolls and not bots? This is the organization that created a Lebreton Flats Facts twitter account full of propaganda. Then after being counter-sued by Ruddy they released a laughable counter-offer on twitter to salvage the deal.
In this specific instance I think it’s obvious the Jack guy is a troll. He keeps deleting his account and reactivating it too. He’s trolling.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
He thought Cowen was still with the team, I highly doubt he knows anything about our players or prospect. He's like a casual fan that goes to the games for a beer (nothing wrong with that whatsoever) and knows the big name players.
And lucky us he's heavily involved in all the hockey moves.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Melnyk: It's extremely rare for a team to say everybody out.

Right. It IS rare for a team to ship out every good-to-great vet player and keep the bad vets such as Ryan, Boedker, Smith, Ceci and Boro.

Like, no team has ever really done this. 100% true.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So why did they supposedly offer 28 year old Karlsson and Duchene 8 year deals?

These people need lifeguards in the shower.

Melnyk interviews are always a game of telephone. He seems to either repeat half of what has been said to him by his hockey ops guys, or off putting interpretations of it.

I would guess that he was told by Dorion that if they extend Karl, Duchene, Stone, they'd get more for them in a trade down the line, so that it was worth pursuing. That goes hand in hand with the rumours (from multiple sources) that the Senators being unwilling to include an 8 year NMC with Stone was a major factor in the contract not being successfully negotiated.

The Senators probably hoped that 3-4 years from now, if needed, they'd have an out to move Stone while he was still young and productive. It also coincided with something else Melnyk hinted at, which was if they signed all these guys, they wouldn't have money for all the other young "superstars" they have coming up. Depending on how bridge deals shake out, giving Stone a 4 year NMC coincides pretty well with when the Senators would have to start handing out big money to Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Brown, Gustavsson, 2020 4th overall or better pick, and Batherson. Karlsson said it himself, he felt if he re-signed, they were just going to trade him anyways.

So he's not really saying we can't sign these guys 8 years because they'll be too old, I think he's trying to repeat that they can't be locked in to those contracts without an out because they'd want to have the option to trade Stone or Karlsson to clear money before those 8 years are up and before they are too old.

Reactions: Acidrain66

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Melnyk: It's extremely rare for a team to say everybody out.

Right. It IS rare for a team to ship out every good-to-great vet player and keep the bad vets such as Ryan, Boedker, Smith, Ceci and Boro.

Like, no team has ever really done this. 100% true.

Florida Marlins did it in Baseball, literally in the same offseason after winning a World Series.

Can't think of a hockey example of this happening, though.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Oh come on, that coladin one is just proof these are all trolls, using the same bush league term as Eugene did this morning

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So. I finally listened to the interview. Other than the mendes comment. It’s not terrible. He conveys his plan. How he wants nhl team to look. Age brackets. Make up. Why and how he didn’t want to pay the guys. BUT it kind of crumbles when you realize the fact that he did in fact try to sign them. But it’s well known he didn’t want to give NMCs. Does that mean he planned on trading them in 2-3 years? If so. Honestly. It makes sense in a vacuum. Not in today nhl though lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad