The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Prepare to hear Pinto and JBD get their tires pumped when the world juniors inevitably get brought up.
For those who didn't listen, the interview was quite uneventful. Lloyd really didn't ask anything relevant and Dorion didn't really give any answers and then it was done. My opinion anyways. Anyone hear it differently?

We heard about Dorions' Xmas plans, his girlfriend being mad at him, staff hockey game, but Pinto and JBD were never mentioned.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
For those who didn't listen, the interview was quite uneventful. Lloyd really didn't ask anything relevant and Dorion didn't really give any answers and then it was done. My opinion anyways. Anyone hear it differently?

We heard about Dorions' Xmas plans, his girlfriend being mad at him, staff hockey game, but Pinto and JBD were never mentioned.
Wasn't expecting any good questions from Lloyd.

Any mention of the kids in Belleville and when they will get a chance with the big club?

Chabots ice time and any concerns?

Plans for the trade deadline?

Reactions: Hockeytalk2424

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

The main nugget there was that they're considering bringing in Alsing/Thomson over if injuries keep up. I'd imagine that Alsing is more of an option because Lassi will be at the world juniors. But yeah other than that it was mostly fluff about the holidays and pumping DJ's tires (deservedly so)

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

A couple of things:
1 Nilsson has a concussion and is on IR;
2 they are not necessarily looking for a depth D, mentioned that with the loan agreements they have with Alsing and Thompson they could bring them over in an emergency;
3 Dorion was asked about sign/trade vets before TDL, he mentioned that they want to be a playoff contending team next year. I took it to mean, in that context, that they may hold onto more vets than HF has speculated about.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The main nugget there was that they're considering bringing in Alsing/Thomson over if injuries keep up. I'd imagine that Alsing is more of an option because Lassi will be at the world juniors. But yeah other than that it was mostly fluff about the holidays and pumping DJ's tires (deservedly so)

What's the logic and benefit to bringing either of these guys over as oppose to a local low level signing or promotion, not in the loop on this specifically so legit curious?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Not that I would have taken his words at face value, but mentioning those two (and Thomson) seems like the biggest PR slam dunk in the world given what a big deal the World Junior's are in this country.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Any mention of the kids in Belleville and when they will get a chance with the big club?

Dorion is such a bad speaker and Lloyd is not exactly the greatest interviewer, so not exactly sure who to blame, but the interview was short, Dorion went off topic a few times, which made the interview seem even shorter.

Not really much mention of the kids in Belleville, he echoed the same line about how they want their young players to come up here and plenty more than just one or two games. That's why Brannstrsom was up for so long, mentioned how Batherson should have been rookie of the year in the AHL. Wants to shelter Norris because of the Canadian market...

The piece of news about maybe having to call up Lassi or Alsing, is interesting, but this really isn't news if you know the Sens contract situation on the blueline.

Nothing about Chabot (I did miss the first minute or so of the interview though).

Doesn't want to make negotiations public, they have learned from the past. Which is interesting since they blamed everyone else but themselves for details being leaked. Accountability is a positive step forward.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

1. Everyone has their own plan, Brown and Brannstrom getting 20-25 game trials and reassessing. Batherson playing well but needs to show he can compete at all times. Sheltering Norris/Formenton from a Canadian NHL market so their mistakes aren't amplified as they adjust to the pro game, but mentioned that he's really happy with their production and play to date

2. Not mentioned

3. Was asked if he was taking "inventory of the team as some players will have new addresses soon" and he down played it in the sense that a trade can come together in minutes sometimes. Also said that he'd prefer to keep his cards close to the vest on that front

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dorion was asked about sign/trade vets before TDL, he mentioned that they want to be a playoff contending team next year.
I forgot about this nugget. "All rebuilds have to have a plan" he says, so it looks like we have a new plan, or at least we finally get a nugget of what the plan is, a one year tank with the hope to compete for a playoff spot in Year 2. Not the greatest plan fo the FYOUS.

3. Was asked if he was taking "inventory of the team as some players will have new addresses soon" and he down played it in the sense that a trade can come together in minutes sometimes. Also said that he'd prefer to keep his cards close to the vest on that front
"These days, it only takes minutes to put together a trade", was very interesting insight considering the Stone trade has always appeared like it was negotiated in a couple of minutes.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
What's the logic and benefit to bringing either of these guys over as oppose to a local low level signing or promotion, not in the loop on this specifically so legit curious?

At 48/50 contracts right now is what I'm assuming. If they want to sign JBD and another prospect before the end of the season, not a whole lot of space

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We currently have 48 out of 50 possible contracts, so that might be weighing in. I imagine Alsing or Thomson might be happy to get a short stint in the NHL, it`s no different then giving an emergency call up to a CHL player really, expect there's a long flight and likely some additional time zone shifts to deal with...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
We currently have 48 out of 50 possible contracts, so that might be weighing in. I imagine Alsing or Thomson might be happy to get a short stint in the NHL, it`s no different then giving an emergency call up to a CHL player really, expect there's a long flight and likely some additional time zone shifts to deal with...

Thanks folks, forgot about the 48/50 contracts, makes sense!

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I do find it bizarre that the topic of Chabot's ice time didn't come up. At the very least you'd expect Lloyd to toss a softball question at him -- "Are you at all worried about Tomas Chabot' ice time? Could it be too much?" -- so that Dorion could spout some half baked organizational wisdom about why it's the right thing to do.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I do find it bizarre that the topic of Chabot's ice time didn't come up. At the very least you'd expect Lloyd to toss a softball question at him -- "Are you at all worried about Tomas Chabot' ice time? Could it be too much?" -- so that Dorion could spout some half baked organizational wisdom about why it's the right thing to do.

To Lloyd's defence, maybe he intended on asking the question, but Dorion kept going off topic, discussing how many people he is having over for Xmas dinner or mentioning his girlfriend, etc, so maybe he just ran out of time.

Since Lloyd is the new go Dorion interview guy, he needs to be a bit better overall in his delivery, but Dorion just seems like a very unpredictable interview, which makes it much tougher.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
To Lloyd's defence, maybe he intended on asking the question, but Dorion kept going off topic, discussing how many people he is having over for Xmas dinner or mentioning his girlfriend, etc, so maybe he just ran out of time.

Since Lloyd is the new go Dorion interview guy, he needs to be a bit better overall in his delivery, but Dorion just seems like a very unpredictable interview, which makes it much tougher.
Come on. That was at the very end when LLoyd asked about what his plans were for the holidays. You just can't help yourself can you

Reactions: Variable26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad