The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Radiogirl, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Tuna99

Tuna99 Registered User

There’s a lot of good from Leever, he’s an obvious sports nut, and I want to like him and want to like the show because it’s a habit....but....he’s not fun.

GrantLemons and Icelevel like this.
  2. Daffy

Daffy Registered User

Agreed. And Creech man... he is so cringeworthy and dry. I gotta put on music anytime he comes on.

3. Radiogirl

Radiogirl Registered User

4. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

Good shows today covering training camp. Chris Stevenson was a good addition. Lots of hockey talk and player discussions.

Stylizer1 likes this.
  5. PoutineSp00nZ

PoutineSp00nZ Electricity is really just organized lightning.

And im sure they talk about hte Senators all the time too.

6. Sens of Anarchy

Simmer is hit and miss .. lots of miss

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. BloodRedArmy

BloodRedArmy Registered User

No need to be snarky. Jeeze.
    They talk NHL. If you're a hockey fan, it's amazing, if you're strictly a Sens fan it's not gonna be for you.

8. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Raging Bull Squatch

I dunno, I always liked Lever, even when I dont agree with his take. And I think that he and Ian have awesome chemistry together, and are a perfect counter balance to each other. Much better than Ian and Simmer imo, and I like Simmer fwiw.

Its funny too because I know there are people that actually believe that Ian and some of the other TSN 1200 guys secretly hate him. I dont buy it for one second, Lee is that guy in every group of friends that gets the brunt of the roasting (for good reason in his case). And I cant see him dodging the axe that fell on the staff not long ago if he was truly not liked...

Hes a wrestling heel playing a role, and hes doing his job well if you think hes being serious most of the time.

Just like HFboards, it would be a lot less interesting if they all just sat around patting each other on the backs and applauding every opinion. Like him or hate him we need Lee, or a guy just like him.

Stylizer1 likes this.
  9. Icelevel

Icelevel -+-+-*-+-*-+-=???

Compared to the rest I have simmer ranked near the very top of guys I won’t turn the dial away from.
    I don’t like calling guys out and knocking specific people but it’s been hard listening lately and so I do a lot less of it now.
    I do listen to the morning show occasionally which I never did before. I find they actually get in to more serious hockey discussion than the others now. Used to be other way round.

Game 7 Meltdown likes this.
  10. PoutineSp00nZ

PoutineSp00nZ Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Wasnt trying to be snarky. Sorry if that's the impression it gave.

I just like hearing about the senators. Which is why I listen to the local radio station heh.

11. Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think & Yet & Yet

I only listen to the morning show but I find JR and Simmer work great together. Way more fun than with Warne, no disrespect.

12. Sens of Anarchy

Compared to the rest I would agree but I still think he's hit and miss. He could put more into it.

Icelevel and R2010 like this.
  13. Radiogirl

Simmer problem it is always has to be about him, if they are doing an interview he has to find away to make it about him. Additionally, he thinks his personal life is way more important than anyone elses and everyone wants to know about it. He's the only host I think I could tell you the name of his SO, his buddies, and his SO kids. You rarely hear any of the other hosts on the station. However, that could just be Simmer's thing, he does love social media to document every thing and show off his much younger and hotter girlfriend #EGO

On another subject, I wonder who is going to be doing the pre and post game shows now. Doesn't appear Simmer will be doing any since he's not working tonight because of his big weekend plans he told us all about. Whitey will be missed on the pre and post. Lee probably wont be doing the post games if he now has the Driver so maybe it will all be AJ?

Sens of Anarchy likes this.
  14. Stylizer1

Stylizer1 SENSimillanaire

Simmer's personalty fits with morning programming.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo and Icelevel like this.
  15. TheDebater

TheDebater Peace be upon you

I think the Ottawa Senators pre-game shows are done well. They stick to discussing hockey, they talk about the opponent and their star players, they provide insight from the previous game and they also bring in great personalities like Bob Mackenzie to give their opinion on the game and/or any major developments like trades or roster moves.

Would it be a stretch to believe that the entire TSN 1200 programming could be improved immensely if they followed this protocol throughout the day and avoided unnecessary "inside joke" segments and discussing non-sports related events?

16. Radiogirl

Ian,

What is the line up for the pre and post game going to look like this year. Do you have a replacement for Todd White on the panal? Will Shawn Simpson continue to be on the panel or no longer be working them since he joined the morning show? How will be hosting the post game now that Lee has a regular gig with you? Thanks

17. Darcy Loewen

Darcy Loewen Registered User

Funny how you complain that Simmer always makes it about him when every post you make on here is about him. I love that he lives rent free in your head. It’s hilarious.

18. GrantLemons

GrantLemons Church of FYOUS

Sure, but when I tune into sports radio for a drive home, I don't want to hear a heel. I want to hear insightful sports discussion. Trolling or not, Lee's pessimistic view on the world is just so tiring. You can disagree with someone's take without going into a condescending tirade about why it's the stupidest thing every suggested.

To each their own, I guess. Lee's tone and attitude just rub me the wrong way. I could tolerate it if he provided actual insight on the topics discussed, but he rarely even does that. I'm not all doubting his broad range of sports knowledge, but to me it's the old quantity vs. quality debate, and for sports talk I'll take quality any day of the week.

Tighthead likes this.
  19. Do Make Say Think

I don't listen to much sports radio but I'm not sure what you'd say is missing from their talking... Pro sports are about execution and there seldom is much to say about execution.

My impression is that most pro sports talk is fake drummed up drama because people can never get enough of it. I find that, at least the morning guys, don't focus on drama outside of the legit stuff like that guy from the Raptors who ended up going somewhere else: that was real drama worth talking about.

We get enough drama everywhere else, I'd much rather hear about JR liking naps with a window open while it is raining on a cool afternoon than hear about some rich people drama. Give me Simmer talking about his travels rather than silly stuff like "this guy doesn't like how that other guy looked at him because of this other thing that went down a few years ago when another guy....."

20. pzeeman

pzeeman Registered User

[QUOTE="Do Make Say Think, post: 164682055, member: 56236"We get enough drama everywhere else, I'd much rather hear about JR liking naps with a window open while it is raining on a cool afternoon than hear about some rich people drama. Give me Simmer talking about his travels rather than silly stuff like "this guy doesn't like how that other guy looked at him because of this other thing that went down a few years ago when another guy....."[/QUOTE]

It's all my fault. The absolute favorite part of my commute 20 years ago was when I was a little late, and I'd get to hear JR and Jungle at the beginning of Sportsline talk about JR's neighbours like Three Down Dennis and Johnny Goodgrass. But I will say a little of that goes a long way. One segment with a 'special guest', which has that expressed purpose is enough.

I like Macramela's sense of humour as well, but that he can turn it off and talk seriously is just as important.

21. Icelevel

Icelevel -+-+-*-+-*-+-=???

Ha. Exactly.

Stylizer1 likes this.
  22. Stylizer1

Lee and Ian have the best chemistry together. they know what each other is talking about and he is able to hold his own.

23. Do Make Say Think

That's mostly because Ian is amazing. He is very good at his job.

24. Sens of Anarchy

He is very good at his job. He could do any kind of radio well. I don't think he is amazing at sports radio in particular

Stylizer1 and Do Make Say Think like this.
  25. Stylizer1

Ian should take over for Bob Mckowen or Michael Lansberg but stay in Ottawa.