The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There’s a lot of good from Leever, he’s an obvious sports nut, and I want to like him and want to like the show because it’s a habit....but....he’s not fun.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
There’s a lot of good from Leever, he’s an obvious sports nut, and I want to like him and want to like the show because it’s a habit....but....he’s not fun.

Agreed. And Creech man... he is so cringeworthy and dry. I gotta put on music anytime he comes on.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Why have anyone with real insight into playing the game at the NHL level working there or helping to cover hockey. We can have these mildly somewhat scratching the surface of interest, banter about Spartacat being called the Lion instead or endless tangents about nothing at all or some random tidbit one of the hosts finds interesting to kill a few minutes. I am really disappointed with the level of hockey coverage on this station.[/QUOT
You are forgetting they have Shawn Simpson, former NHL executive. What more do you need?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The guy loves WWE Wrestling. What else is there to say?

SiriusXM has a 3 months for $1 promo on right now which includes streaming. The NHL Network is everything TSN1200 is not... professional hosts, no bickering, no bromance flirting, household name guest after guest, intelligent analysis from around the league, in-depth recaps of every game.

It's the best.

And im sure they talk about hte Senators all the time too.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I dunno, I always liked Lever, even when I dont agree with his take. And I think that he and Ian have awesome chemistry together, and are a perfect counter balance to each other. Much better than Ian and Simmer imo, and I like Simmer fwiw.

Its funny too because I know there are people that actually believe that Ian and some of the other TSN 1200 guys secretly hate him. I dont buy it for one second, Lee is that guy in every group of friends that gets the brunt of the roasting (for good reason in his case). And I cant see him dodging the axe that fell on the staff not long ago if he was truly not liked...

Hes a wrestling heel playing a role, and hes doing his job well if you think hes being serious most of the time.

Just like HFboards, it would be a lot less interesting if they all just sat around patting each other on the backs and applauding every opinion. Like him or hate him we need Lee, or a guy just like him.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Simmer is hit and miss .. lots of miss
Compared to the rest I have simmer ranked near the very top of guys I won’t turn the dial away from.
I don’t like calling guys out and knocking specific people but it’s been hard listening lately and so I do a lot less of it now.
I do listen to the morning show occasionally which I never did before. I find they actually get in to more serious hockey discussion than the others now. Used to be other way round.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No need to be snarky. Jeeze.
They talk NHL. If you're a hockey fan, it's amazing, if you're strictly a Sens fan it's not gonna be for you.

Wasnt trying to be snarky. Sorry if that's the impression it gave.

I just like hearing about the senators. Which is why I listen to the local radio station heh.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I only listen to the morning show but I find JR and Simmer work great together. Way more fun than with Warne, no disrespect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Compared to the rest I have simmer ranked near the very top of guys I won’t turn the dial away from.
I don’t like calling guys out and knocking specific people but it’s been hard listening lately and so I do a lot less of it now.
I do listen to the morning show occasionally which I never did before. I find they actually get in to more serious hockey discussion than the others now. Used to be other way round.
Compared to the rest I would agree but I still think he's hit and miss. He could put more into it.

Reactions: Icelevel and R2010

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Compared to the rest I would agree but I still think he's hit and miss. He could put more into it.
Simmer problem it is always has to be about him, if they are doing an interview he has to find away to make it about him. Additionally, he thinks his personal life is way more important than anyone elses and everyone wants to know about it. He's the only host I think I could tell you the name of his SO, his buddies, and his SO kids. You rarely hear any of the other hosts on the station. However, that could just be Simmer's thing, he does love social media to document every thing and show off his much younger and hotter girlfriend #EGO

On another subject, I wonder who is going to be doing the pre and post game shows now. Doesn't appear Simmer will be doing any since he's not working tonight because of his big weekend plans he told us all about. Whitey will be missed on the pre and post. Lee probably wont be doing the post games if he now has the Driver so maybe it will all be AJ?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think the Ottawa Senators pre-game shows are done well. They stick to discussing hockey, they talk about the opponent and their star players, they provide insight from the previous game and they also bring in great personalities like Bob Mackenzie to give their opinion on the game and/or any major developments like trades or roster moves.

Would it be a stretch to believe that the entire TSN 1200 programming could be improved immensely if they followed this protocol throughout the day and avoided unnecessary "inside joke" segments and discussing non-sports related events?

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Ian,

What is the line up for the pre and post game going to look like this year. Do you have a replacement for Todd White on the panal? Will Shawn Simpson continue to be on the panel or no longer be working them since he joined the morning show? How will be hosting the post game now that Lee has a regular gig with you? Thanks

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Simmer problem it is always has to be about him, if they are doing an interview he has to find away to make it about him. Additionally, he thinks his personal life is way more important than anyone elses and everyone wants to know about it. He's the only host I think I could tell you the name of his SO, his buddies, and his SO kids. You rarely hear any of the other hosts on the station. However, that could just be Simmer's thing, he does love social media to document every thing and show off his much younger and hotter girlfriend #EGO

On another subject, I wonder who is going to be doing the pre and post game shows now. Doesn't appear Simmer will be doing any since he's not working tonight because of his big weekend plans he told us all about. Whitey will be missed on the pre and post. Lee probably wont be doing the post games if he now has the Driver so maybe it will all be AJ?

Funny how you complain that Simmer always makes it about him when every post you make on here is about him. I love that he lives rent free in your head. It’s hilarious.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I dunno, I always liked Lever, even when I dont agree with his take. And I think that he and Ian have awesome chemistry together, and are a perfect counter balance to each other. Much better than Ian and Simmer imo, and I like Simmer fwiw.

Its funny too because I know there are people that actually believe that Ian and some of the other TSN 1200 guys secretly hate him. I dont buy it for one second, Lee is that guy in every group of friends that gets the brunt of the roasting (for good reason in his case). And I cant see him dodging the axe that fell on the staff not long ago if he was truly not liked...

Hes a wrestling heel playing a role, and hes doing his job well if you think hes being serious most of the time.

Just like HFboards, it would be a lot less interesting if they all just sat around patting each other on the backs and applauding every opinion. Like him or hate him we need Lee, or a guy just like him.

Sure, but when I tune into sports radio for a drive home, I don't want to hear a heel. I want to hear insightful sports discussion. Trolling or not, Lee's pessimistic view on the world is just so tiring. You can disagree with someone's take without going into a condescending tirade about why it's the stupidest thing every suggested.

To each their own, I guess. Lee's tone and attitude just rub me the wrong way. I could tolerate it if he provided actual insight on the topics discussed, but he rarely even does that. I'm not all doubting his broad range of sports knowledge, but to me it's the old quantity vs. quality debate, and for sports talk I'll take quality any day of the week.

Reactions: Tighthead

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't listen to much sports radio but I'm not sure what you'd say is missing from their talking... Pro sports are about execution and there seldom is much to say about execution.

My impression is that most pro sports talk is fake drummed up drama because people can never get enough of it. I find that, at least the morning guys, don't focus on drama outside of the legit stuff like that guy from the Raptors who ended up going somewhere else: that was real drama worth talking about.

We get enough drama everywhere else, I'd much rather hear about JR liking naps with a window open while it is raining on a cool afternoon than hear about some rich people drama. Give me Simmer talking about his travels rather than silly stuff like "this guy doesn't like how that other guy looked at him because of this other thing that went down a few years ago when another guy....."

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
[QUOTE="Do Make Say Think, post: 164682055, member: 56236"We get enough drama everywhere else, I'd much rather hear about JR liking naps with a window open while it is raining on a cool afternoon than hear about some rich people drama. Give me Simmer talking about his travels rather than silly stuff like "this guy doesn't like how that other guy looked at him because of this other thing that went down a few years ago when another guy....."[/QUOTE]

It's all my fault. The absolute favorite part of my commute 20 years ago was when I was a little late, and I'd get to hear JR and Jungle at the beginning of Sportsline talk about JR's neighbours like Three Down Dennis and Johnny Goodgrass. But I will say a little of that goes a long way. One segment with a 'special guest', which has that expressed purpose is enough.

I like Macramela's sense of humour as well, but that he can turn it off and talk seriously is just as important.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Sure, but when I tune into sports radio for a drive home, I don't want to hear a heel. I want to hear insightful sports discussion. Trolling or not, Lee's pessimistic view on the world is just so tiring. You can disagree with someone's take without going into a condescending tirade about why it's the stupidest thing every suggested.

To each their own, I guess. Lee's tone and attitude just rub me the wrong way. I could tolerate it if he provided actual insight on the topics discussed, but he rarely even does that. I'm not all doubting his broad range of sports knowledge, but to me it's the old quantity vs. quality debate, and for sports talk I'll take quality any day of the week.
Lee and Ian have the best chemistry together. they know what each other is talking about and he is able to hold his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad