The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
you know how this goes. Media gushes over players only to find out that they can barely play in the AHL. At this point we should wait and see.

The Sens and the media have been notoriously guilty of over-valuing their prospects over the years.

I would like to think that any talented players should show promise in the AHL where ice time and opportunity become more of a reality.

Hopefully the cream will rise to the top and the future will become a bit brighter despite the ownership issues and front office inexperience.

Signing Chabot asap will go a long way to regain a fan base that has all but given up on this team.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Sens and the media have been notoriously guilty of over-valuing their prospects over the years.

I would like to think that any talented players should show promise in the AHL where ice time and opportunity become more of a reality.

Hopefully the cream will rise to the top and the future will become a bit brighter despite the ownership issues and front office inexperience.

Signing Chabot asap will go a long way to regain a fan base that has all but given up on this team.

I think there at least 30 other NHL Franchises that overvalue their prospects, and the media hype that goes along with that.

It's standard operating procedure for all NHL teams, to drum up fan interest in their (possible) future NHLers.

Ottawa is no more guilty of this, than any other franchise you'd like to compare them with.

Reactions: aragorn

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think there at least 30 other NHL Franchises that overvalue their prospects, and the media hype that goes along with that.

It's standard operating procedure for all NHL teams, to drum up fan interest in their (possible) future NHLers.

Ottawa is no more guilty of this, than any other franchise you'd like to compare them with.

It makes sense for teams to overvalue their assets openly, regardless of how they actually perceive them in house I'd say.

R2010

May 23, 2011
upload_2019-9-17_11-51-34.png

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why have anyone with real insight into playing the game at the NHL level working there or helping to cover hockey. We can have these mildly somewhat scratching the surface of interest, banter about Spartacat being called the Lion instead or endless tangents about nothing at all or some random tidbit one of the hosts finds interesting to kill a few minutes. I am really disappointed with the level of hockey coverage on this station.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Why have anyone with real insight into playing the game at the NHL level working there or helping to cover hockey. We can have these mildly somewhat scratching the surface of interest, banter about Spartacat being called the Lion instead or endless tangents about nothing at all or some random tidbit one of the hosts finds interesting to kill a few minutes. I am really disappointed with the level of hockey coverage on this station.

It's sad. I've gotten into downloading Leafs Lunch, overdrive and first up to get my hockey radio fix. I hate the leafs with every ounce of my being, but at least I can hear actual hockey talk instead of an in depth discussion on what the hosts had for brunch over the weekend.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
It's sad. I've gotten into downloading Leafs Lunch, overdrive and first up to get my hockey radio fix. I hate the leafs with every ounce of my being, but at least I can hear actual hockey talk instead of an in depth discussion on what the hosts had for brunch over the weekend.

This has been my current state the past 3 years into getting hockey talk.

Also checkout some podcasts like 31 Thoughts which is really well done and SensCentral is not too bad. At least they stay on subject.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I download and listen to Dan Patrick on all my rides now. The occasional show I tune into its @ianmendes pleading with Lee Versage to stop being such f***ing buzzkill and complaining about every goddamn topic they discuss. It truly is amazing that he finds a way to crap on a story such as what Saquon Barkley did inviting that 11 year old girl to come to a game. Like my god how miserable is your life that you can't just stop and appreciate the little things like that in the world of sports?

Ian, I commend your effort, but the guy is just stuck in his old prehistoric ways and is unwilling/unable to accept criticism and make himself better from it. It's pretty sad that when you say to him "a number of our listeners aren't happy with your attitude" and he responds to it with "I don't care". That's just indefensible. If you don't care about listener's feedback when your job is literally to talk on radio, then you need to seriously rethink your life.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I download and listen to Dan Patrick on all my rides now. The occasional show I tune into its @ianmendes pleading with Lee Versage to stop being such ****ing buzzkill and complaining about every goddamn topic they discuss. It truly is amazing that he finds a way to crap on a story such as what Saquon Barkley did inviting that 11 year old girl to come to a game. Like my god how miserable is your life that you can't just stop and appreciate the little things like that in the world of sports?

Ian, I commend your effort, but the guy is just stuck in his old prehistoric ways and is unwilling/unable to accept criticism and make himself better from it. It's pretty sad that when you say to him "a number of our listeners aren't happy with your attitude" and he responds to it with "I don't care". That's just indefensible. If you don't care about listener's feedback when your job is literally to talk on radio, then you need to seriously rethink your life.
So Leever don't do small talk. Hes a sports junkie. When he talks sports he is one of the best. If you are going to ask his opinion on insignificant issue's you get what you get.

I really liked Todd White and his break down of hockey. The social stuff really brought the show down though. I guess everyone is going to get their wish when Methot officially retires.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I really liked Todd White and his break down of hockey. The social stuff really brought the show down though. I guess everyone is going to get their wish when Methot officially retires.

Agree, White had the best technical analysis of the plays and strategies. I always felt I learned something when he was let loose on that subject.

Methot is great in the media; so great that I think he should be aiming much higher than TSN1200. They would be lucky to get him for a while though if they could.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
So Leever don't do small talk. Hes a sports junkie. When he talks sports he is one of the best. If you are going to ask his opinion on insignificant issue's you get what you get.

Well I'm a sports junkie, but for some reason I don't feel the constant urge to shit all over ever feel good story Ian offers up in the leftover 5 like Lee does. On my drive home after a long day, I'm really just not that interested in hearing someone bitch and moan constantly. Even the other guys are ganging up on Lee (Creech, Bunda) because his pessimistic attitude is so prevalent it's become a meme at the station.

Tbh, I don't have too much of an issue with Lee himself, it's more the fact he just shouldn't be on primetime with Ian. Give him his own show and let him bitch and moan late at night when people want to listen to rants or whatever else he wants to talk about.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Well I'm a sports junkie, but for some reason I don't feel the constant urge to **** all over ever feel good story Ian offers up in the leftover 5 like Lee does. On my drive home after a long day, I'm really just not that interested in hearing someone ***** and moan constantly. Even the other guys are ganging up on Lee (Creech, Bunda) because his pessimistic attitude is so prevalent it's become a meme at the station.

Tbh, I don't have too much of an issue with Lee himself, it's more the fact he just shouldn't be on primetime with Ian. Give him his own show and let him ***** and moan late at night when people want to listen to rants or whatever else he wants to talk about.
I think you are focusing too much on the negatives and not looking enough at the positives. There is great sports talk back and worth and it was an issue with the show many pointed out. Not every host is exactly what everyone wants but if the most important basis is covered then just go with it.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Agree, White had the best technical analysis of the plays and strategies. I always felt I learned something when he was let loose on that subject.

Methot is great in the media; so great that I think he should be aiming much higher than TSN1200. They would be lucky to get him for a while though if they could.

Yeah when White was talking hockey he always pinpointed things that provided a unique perspective. Always had great hockey sense. Sens should consider if he wants to come out part time to help the centres.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Drive to work this morning....nfl

Drive home....nfl....I gave it 5 minutes and switched to chez

"Sports Radio TSN 1200"

Or would you rather listen to Simmer give a lukewarm take on who we're going to draft with our second round pick in 2021?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This is why we can't have nice things :laugh:

I for one welcome the more general sports talk, but when the station itself has gone out of their way to push Sens/Redblacks over everything else it's no surprise that a segment of the listeners want to hear nothing but that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Leafs lunch is a piece of crap.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

The guy loves WWE Wrestling. What else is there to say?

Drive to work this morning....nfl

Drive home....nfl....I gave it 5 minutes and switched to chez

SiriusXM has a 3 months for $1 promo on right now which includes streaming. The NHL Network is everything TSN1200 is not... professional hosts, no bickering, no bromance flirting, household name guest after guest, intelligent analysis from around the league, in-depth recaps of every game.

It's the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad