The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Gord Miller is amazing radio, be nice to have him on. Ray Ferraro is of course a top listen.

The pan-Canada hockey guys are great, Ottawa specific is what we need. And not reporters, people who can see the game like a scout. Callum Fraser doesn’t get enough Time IMO - he’s all over this team and a few more voices like him who can talk to the specifics of where the individual Sens players are at with their skating stride, confidence, how they see the game, how they’ve improved, their slotting is to me the red meat of Radio. Garrioche and Brennan don’t do this, they don’t see that game.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brennan should be done on radio - the fact that TSN1200 allows him to talk about Karlssons wife this summer - after his appearance at their wedding, the articles he’s written about his horny tendencies - it’s appalling.

TSN1200 is about anti bullying, Brennan is a bully, he’s not just ‘not everyone’s cup of tea’ he’s a mindset that needs to disappear. He’s limited skill and that skill is focused on belittling hockey players wives and giving sexist views. If you want to be true, you can’t support him any longer, he’s not controversial, he’s a media habit that needs to go away permanently.

Reactions: emo and Icelevel

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I can't listen to it anymore....historically I always enjoyed @ianmendes show. These past few months it is as if another host lobotomized ian and dragged the discussion down about 40 iq points

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It is summer. Let’s all remember that for a second.

There is nothing juicy to discuss... yet

Ding ding ding.

I like hockey talk, and aside from the draft or July 1st there is none of that in the summer. I never listen until training camp starts

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Media today was decent. Dorion seems much more comfortable and believing in what he’s doing.

He took flack for the Mendes playoff question, just go with the Hainsey ‘we’re taking this one day at a time and one game at a time. Growth is our measure this year and not playoffs, we want to improve every day and every game, and at the end of the season if we’ve done that we’ll be happy where we are at.’

If asked again:
‘I’m a sports fan and we just saw a 19 year old do something no one has done for 20 years, and that’s why we love sports, and that’s why our fans will be watching. I was here for the Hamburglar run, I was here for our conference finals run. This team has given our fans some great memories and they can expect more great memories.’

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Is Todd White done on in the box? Kinda hope so.

He never properly replaced Jason York at a good sidekick to Steve Loyd.

White is vapid. Lame, no energy. He only cares are teasing all the other hosts (especially Versage) argue and talk about his NFL pools.

For a former NHL'er I find him to be boring to listen to. At least Yorkie had good stories about the Sens heydays...

Marc Methot would be a good one to add to the mix. He will be on later today he has some charisma. Something Todd White wouldn't know how to spell...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

White is vapid. Lame, no energy. He only cares are teasing all the other hosts (especially Versage) argue and talk about his NFL pools.

For a former NHL'er I find him to be boring to listen to. At least Yorkie had good stories about the Sens heydays...

Marc Methot would be a good one to add to the mix. He will be on later today he has some charisma. Something Todd White wouldn't know how to spell...

Methot is killing this segment right now. Refreshing.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Methot to Steve Lloyd - "who cares? Why are we talking about Red Lobster?"
200 (1).gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I like White when he breaks things down and talks about systems, but it's so rare for him to do so. The only time I can remember him doing so he talked about how Lemare ran the forcheck compared to Boucher, and how other teams would typically run things and how it might affect players. That's what I want from ex-players, that and some behind the scene stories.

Methot is awesome on the radio, he just seems like a natural.

Reactions: DrEasy

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Methot to Steve Lloyd - "who cares? Why are we talking about Red Lobster?"
View attachment 254315

I love how the hockey player with no experience in broadcasting telling the seasoned experienced broadcaster to stay on topic.

Good to see it's not just fans that see that this station has a big problem with focusing on a topic and dwells into useless subjects.

Last edited:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Methot is "The Natural"!
Great insight into what camp is like for these young guys as well as interesting "insider" anecdotes from his own career and experiences.
A fantastic upgrade for 1200!
If they weren't laying off so many people I would say he is destined for a TV gig.
Galley 2.0!

mohab1976

Sep 14, 2019
Bell media needs to revamp TSN 1200. Melnyk is correct when he called it Bush league. I am a die hard sens fan, but TSN 1200 forces me to listen to TSN 690. The fact that all commentators are supposed journalists and try to cover the team objectively is probable part of the problem. TSN 1200 needs its own Tony Marinaro as well as a former pro who does not belong on overnight radio (Todd White).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More live training camp coverage would be nice... I mean its good to listen to two guys talk about something else while there is a scrimmage going on with prospects fighting to make the team ..but .. I personally am interested in the hockey and the players ... In general I think the format is toooo much about the radio personalities vs the sports, the players ...No one is really that fun to listen too .. when its more about their personality than what it is they are supposed to be covering.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
More live training camp coverage would be nice... I mean its good to listen to two guys talk about something else while there is a scrimmage going on with prospects fighting to make the team ..but .. I personally am interested in the hockey and the players ... In general I think the format is toooo much about the radio personalities vs the sports, the players ...No one is really that fun to listen too .. when its more about their personality than what it is they are supposed to be covering.

Uhm... you mean like this:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Uhm... you mean like this:

possibly... it depends on what is being discussed while they are playing. Its one thing to be live inside ,. but if 1% of the content is about what is happening at the actual training camp.. I don't see the point. Did you listen yesterday?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
possibly... it depends on what is being discussed while they are playing. Its one thing to be live inside ,. but if 1% of the content is about what is happening at the actual training camp.. I don't see the point. Did you listen yesterday?
No, but this tweet is about the current schedule. I don't have that on either, but I do like that he says he will be doing some scouting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad