The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I refuse to listen to a Dorion interview, but just for fun I scrolled down the TSN1200 twitter feed to find it... here's the headline on the tweet:

Dorion: Lassi Thomson looks like he'll be a star in the NHL ()

Really Pierre? Four weeks after drafting him you're confident in projecting him as a "star"?

While this doesn't rank up there with his "proudest day as an NHL GM" buffoonery after the Stone trade, it's still pretty bad. Any reasonable hockey exec would say something like "From everything we've seen from Lassi, we're very happy with our pick and feel lucky to have him in the organization."

He's a scout. Nothing more, nothing less. The reason he says those things is because that's what scouts will say about the guys they like.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Prompted by Steve Lloyd gushing for a whole segment about "AJ's mini rant" from the Fury game last night where he made fun of the linesman's hairline.

What's everyone's thoughts on AJ?? Do listeners enjoy hearing AJ go off on his rants?

I feel like AJ tries way too hard to be the "angry guy".

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Prompted by Steve Lloyd gushing for a whole segment about "AJ's mini rant" from the Fury game last night where he made fun of the linesman's hairline.

What's everyone's thoughts on AJ?? Do listeners enjoy hearing AJ go off on his rants?

Outside of Mendes and the newer crew (Creech, Bunda, Kaunesviita), everyone is pretty much crap these days. They offer very little insight and all of their takes are lukewarm at best. Most of the guys are suited for Fury/Redblacks local talk, and not discussing the happenings of the big 4 sports.

These days if I turn on the radio and I don't hear Mendes, I'm almost immediately switching to FM. It's gotten really bad imo.

Reactions: SenatorsHockey

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It must be brutal - there is so little local hockey to discuss. How many times can you debate where Norris will play or whether PD can get a 2nd or 3rd for Pageau at the deadline.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It must be brutal - there is so little local hockey to discuss. How many times can you debate where Norris will play or whether PD can get a 2nd or 3rd for Pageau at the deadline.
It's "Sports Talk Radio" not "Hockey Talk Radio". Hire some hosts that can talk more than just hockey. Lots to talk about.

NFL preseason starts tonight and all we hear about is Versage's Cowboys.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Found the guy with the bad hairline. Don't worry bro I'm right there with ya.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's "Sports Talk Radio" not "Hockey Talk Radio". Hire some hosts that can talk more than just hockey. Lots to talk about.

NFL preseason starts tonight and all we hear about is Versage's Cowboys.

That is debatable in Ottawa ... I suspect baseball and soccer chatter won’t come close to paying the bills. Even the NFL chatter probably can’t float prime time commuting slots. CFL can carry a slot or two.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
That is debatable in Ottawa ... I suspect baseball and soccer chatter won’t come close to paying the bills. Even the NFL chatter probably can’t float prime time commuting slots. CFL can carry a slot or two.
Most of it has to do with alot of the hosts being out of their element. Mendes tries but the other guys mostly fall flat. This is why we need more Bunda/Chreech/Callum and less Simmer/White.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The premier league starts today and we're full into NFL fantasy draft season. You could literally cover a whole hour every day just with NFL fantasy talk this time of year.

They just need to clean house and bring people who can actually talk about this stuff. I listened for about 20 minutes yesterday since I was driving to work (which is rare) and they were talking about sports movies and where leagues should have their own "field of dreams" games. It was so bad.

Start at the top with JR. Mendes is the only one worth keeping around who's a regular.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Most of it has to do with alot of the hosts being out of their element. Mendes tries but Simmer usually falls flat probably because of a lack of preparation. This is why we need more Bunda/Chreech and less Simmer/White.

That's sad, man. I don't know why they feel the need to hire former players who don't have the slightest clue about other sports. It's sports radio, not hockey radio. Save them for time slots that are hockey centric. The sports coverage should be so much more diverse than it is now.

Reactions: MiscBrah

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I like White’s segment in season. They cover the sleepy day to day stuff around the rink.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I actually understand why the station doesn't put a lot of focus on baseball, basketball, soccer, ect...given the fact there doesn't seem to be an appetite in the city (outside of the Jays/Raptors runs, but even then it was real tame).

Not talking about NFL Football (and/or fantasy football) seems like such an absolute misstep. With the amount of NFL paraphernalia I see around the city you can't convince me it's not the 2nd most watched/followed league by the population as a whole. Seems like such a misstep to not have more dedicated coverage this time of year when there's still nothing to discuss on the hockey front.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Why is Versage so angry?

He's so bad. Just awful. The fact he's anywhere near primetime slot on any radio station is insanity. Love nothing more than to hop in the car after a long day of hard work only to listen to Lee running his mouth whining about anything and everything.

I download Dan Patrick's podcasts on my phone before I leave work every day and listen to those on my drive. I can't listen to Versage anymore. It's too frustrating.

Reactions: dany milkbag

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He's so bad. Just awful. The fact he's anywhere near primetime slot on any radio station is insanity. Love nothing more than to hop in the car after a long day of hard work only to listen to Lee running his mouth whining about anything and everything.

I download Dan Patrick's podcasts on my phone before I leave work every day and listen to those on my drive. I can't listen to Versage anymore. It's too frustrating.

Meh, I don't mind him.

Id rather listen to Versage, Jakubec, Mendes and Loyd than american sports radio.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
american sports radio
There are only so many times you can debate and discuss the Ottawa RedBlacks QB situation. All 3 TSN1200 shows have been beating this drum to death for weeks now. Give me more American sports radio if that means the Dominique Davis debate can go to rest and the American radio station gives some NFL talk that isn't solely about the Dallas Cowboys or the Pats.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have no love for most sensationalized American sports radio shiws & personalities, but Dan Patrick show is great. Has been for years.

The format is very well done, DP is a super interesting guy and him and his team actually try to have original takes, and are funny without being cringy. Plus, they cover baseball and NFL football, which let's be honest, Team 1200 is never ever going to do well.

Beats the hell out of the death spot that the Team 1200 has made of the 9-12am slot using their own people.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I have no love for most sensationalized American sports radio shiws & personalities, but Dan Patrick show is great. Has been for years.

The format is very well done, DP is a super interesting guy and him and his team actually try to have original takes, and are funny without being cringy. Plus, they cover baseball and NFL football, which let's be honest, Team 1200 is never ever going to do well.

Beats the hell out of the death spot that the Team 1200 has made of the 9-12am slot using their own people.
Just heard that next week they return to their regular schedule. No more Dan Patrick and back to the Steve Lloyd and Todd White flirtmance.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
An interesting thing to look at this year is the roll of the sports doctor and their balance of responsibility between their employer and employee (Lindros in Philly) , letting the athletes live their dream (MacArthur in Ottawa returning and then never playing again) and how they balance pain with clearance (yiung Sedin in Vancouver being told to play through pain as it was not an injury) - athletes come back early from injury to often (Crosby, Savard) - what is medical cleanrance and is 100% mean 100% ready to play or 100% healthy

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Most of it has to do with alot of the hosts being out of their element. Mendes tries but the other guys mostly fall flat. This is why we need more Bunda/Chreech/Callum and less Simmer/White.

Going to disagree here. Tuned in twice over the past afternoons and it was discussions about Kim Mitchell, Creed, whatever. The only time I heard sports talk was "3 Things You Should Know". So...I'll just listen in the mornings since they talk sports then. Maybe when Ian and X return to the afternoon slot in the fall, we'll get more sports talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad