The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good to see the media has given itself its annual amnisea shot on how NHL teams spend money when it come to Erik Karlsson. Full season lockout, another lockout, Jeff Fingers, Alex Kovalev in ottawa even, Darking, Backes - and everyone in the media wants to pretend a HOF who is still the best in the game night only get $10 mill over 6 years.

Karlsson isn’t chasing money, if he was he’d be richer already, and he’ll leave money on the table for the best fit - but he’s getting $77 million guaranteed as an opening bid and no GM is even coming to the table with less then Tavares money, because they won’t be invited.

Eugene Melnyck won’t blow his brains out, he’d rather slowly poison his franchise, but Detroit, Vancouver, Florida, Edmonton, Thornton, NYR, NJD - are all calling EK and begging him to please take at least $77 million and if he wants more, they’ll offer it.

And when this is all over July 1, everyone in the media will say ‘we’ve seen this before and NHL Gms have a short shelf life and want to guarantee their jobs...it’s not their money and you have a future HOF and Norris trophy winner who’s a total warrior and that’s what NHL GMs dream of’

God I could write the articles myself today and just plug in the numbers and team name when it’s annoucned

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
No one should be offering Karlsson that much. He's had multiple serious injuries over the past few seasons and wouldn't even suit up for a critical game 7. Anyways, that's off-topic from TSN1200.

Not minding Todd White early in the morning, he's pretty good. Nice to have a break from Simmer.
McGuire was painful to listen to this morning with his "Character, character, character" shtick. We get it Pierre, you don't know what math or analysis is, and thankfully for us in the Senators org that means you'll never have a job here.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No one should be offering Karlsson that much. He's had multiple serious injuries over the past few seasons and wouldn't even suit up for a critical game 7. Anyways, that's off-topic from TSN1200.

Not minding Todd White early in the morning, he's pretty good. Nice to have a break from Simmer.
McGuire was painful to listen to this morning with his "Character, character, character" shtick. We get it Pierre, you don't know what math or analysis is, and thankfully for us in the Senators org that means you'll never have a job here.

Yeah its not like he's injured or anything. Im sure he just decided he'd rather play fortnight than suit up.

Reactions: MiscBrah

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
you'll need to work on your spelling first

Wasn’t a study just released that says people who correct people’s spelling on the internet are less creative, less adventurous and don’t know how to BBQ a steak properly?

Reactions: Stylizer1

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

The thing is, aren’t many of the “eyeball test” factors kind of what advanced stats are looking to capture? If you play tough defensively, win puck battles and tilt the ice, won’t the advance stats favour you?

I’ve heard the old line guys say “Corsi (it’s always Corsi) won’t tell you how much a guy wants the puck”. But isn’t it in part telling you how much he gets the puck?

McGuire is an odd one. Some of his views are very modern/progressive. He embraces the modern game. But advanced stats drive him crazy. I think he loves scouting and sees advanced stats as a threat to scouting, not a complement.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I thought that was just a side effect of the orientation lobotomy they provide all new employees?

My favourite Ottawa Sun story happened about a decade ago.

They were cold-calling people in my neighborhood (at the time - Barrhaven) offering free newspapers for something like a month (somewhere between 3-6 weeks worth, I can't completely remember) of delivered papers on a "free trial", hoping that they could dig up some new subscribers who would discover they wanted the service. When I politely declined, the sales rep on the phone couldn't understand why I would turn down a free newspaper - he kept on saying "it's free, you don't even want to try it?"
I answered that not only had I read the paper before and found it unpleasant in almost every regard, but knew that the paper intentionally wrote all of it's content at a 4th grade reading level so as to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and if I were to choose a newspaper subscription service, it would be with a paper that offers its readership even a shred of confidence in their ability to think and analyze.

The rep's answer? After a pause of about 5 or 6 seconds (which on the phone, is longer than it sounds), he sheepishly offered this: "... actually, it's a 3rd grade level, not 4th".

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My whole drive in, which is close to 45 minutes was all commercials and Jeopardy discussions. Not even one mention of sports.

I don't know how that's different than the old TGOR format, though.

I mean... I agree with your assessment, I'm just saying that the morning drive show was unlistenable before the format/personality shapeup. It's unlistenable now, sure, but that's par for the course for the morning show on that station for the past... 15 years?

The "morning commute" programming on 1200 has been bad since the OSR days. Heck... I'm old enough to say that the morning program on the 1200 AM band has been bad in Ottawa since the Energy 1200 days, lol. :laugh:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I mean... I agree with your assessment, I'm just saying that the morning drive show was unlistenable before the format/personality shapeup. It's unlistenable now, sure, but that's par for the course for the morning show on that station for the past... 15 years?

The "morning commute" programming on 1200 has been bad since the OSR days. Heck... I'm old enough to say that the morning program on the 1200 AM band has been bad in Ottawa since the Energy 1200 days, lol. :laugh:
Damn, those Energy 1200 mornings were terrible. Wasn't JR the morning guy there too??

I gotta say, I know I have been hard on the station in the past, but its has gotten worse. Even the Drive is a tough listen. Maybe its just the timeframes of when I am in the car, but between 3:40-4:30, is rough. I love a nice, heart-warming story, but to spend 10-15 minutes everyday on something that a lot of us have already read on Twitter is a drag, then we get another filler segment where they read texts for their contest of the day.

One thing the station has done that is a positive, and I am pretty sure they are only doing it because they have no other choice, is to give Bunda, Creech and Callum Fraser more airtime. These guys are exactly who they think Versage and AJ are, except they actually do provide fresh, new opinions.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

"Wheel of Meat" wooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad