The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Seriously trying to see how anyone could derive positives from that interview.

He's a complete and total moron, who is way too overly involved in the micro operations of his organization, and has totally severed all relationship to the media, fans and the business community.

He is ruining this franchise.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
If you read all his replies, you get a good sence wheres he coming from...

Ground know too well we're he's coming from. I'm getting mighty tired of seeing it plastered over the board.

If you're a lone island in a sea of people telling you youre wrong, maybe it's time to reassess how you evaluate you opinions.

Reactions: billpo and Engineer

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Seriously trying to see how anyone could derive positives from that interview.

He's a complete and total moron, who is way too overly involved in the micro operations of his organization, and has totally severed all relationship to the media, fans and the business community.

He is ruining this franchise.
Well I think you're wrong on this.

The franchise is already ruined.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
My takeaways:

POSITIVES

1. He knows the fans are "pissed". Terrible communication. That is positive that he isn't "disconnected" as many continue to say
2. Love the shot at the mayor, but that's just me. And he is 100% justified to say what he did
3. He wants to win, and is committed to the city and the team
4. Whether fans go or not, i like that. Means he is not going to let ticket revenue dictate his commitment
5. Will pay this core because he really believes in it. Hope he is right. Mentioned the right kind of numbers
6. Dorion is clearly on notice.

MEH:

1. The Leafs stuff, thought it was funny, and he isn't wrong. I just wouldn't criticize other teams as an owner
2. A new arena, nothing interesting here of things that weren't out there

NEGATIVES:

1. Mendes shot. He can believe it, and in my opinion, he isn't completely wrong. That's just me. I just wouldn't have said it.

It is time for action, not words. Take care of Chabot this summer will go a long way

IMO, if you are serious about #1, then you don't bring up 3-5 without acknowledging that you have given statements in the past to the opposite. "I'm not spending more of my hard earned money on the team" is easily read to mean that you are not investing beyond what revenue brings in. Now you are saying the opposite and fans are left to wonder which Eugene to believe. Without addressing the previous comments he is acknowledging the disconnect without addressing it.

Agree with the rest.

Reactions: coladin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've given up caring about this team at this point in time (still very interested and attentitive to Junior hockey and the draft, especially in relation to the Sens, as well as the future of the team). Could care less about the current NHL product.

I love this, it's a complete circus. Once you stop caring about it, it becomes extremely funny. The past year has just at been one laughing point after another. It actually brings my friend group together, we can all just laugh at the shit show, and I'm literally the only Sens fan I know in my circle. Dominated by Leafs/Habs/Bruins/Wings fans in my province.

All the beach balls getting dropped on the fans in the home opener got brought up last weekend, we were howling with laughter after a few pops.

@ianmendes , you're pure class. The way you handled this muppets comments today was astounding. Too bad our hockey teams higher ups weren't filled with people like yourself, we as fans would be in better arms.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Just think if the Leafs win the cup this year. So many potential young hockey fans will start cheering for Toronto. That's what happens to kids.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Watch out humpty-dumpty. You might break when you fall from the top of that fence.

You clearly have an axe to grind with the mayor, and so be it, nothing wrong with that. There is something wrong about you defending public enemy number 1 when all the publicly available information makes it very clear Melnyk over-played his hand.

Once again, no personal responsibility to be applied to Melnyk's poor judgement. If it didn't work, it is because the others, not because Melnyk made outrageous demands based on an already shaky foundation: the claim that the condos just outside of Lebreton are akin to the City and Rudy stabbing him in the back and that, by virtue of being the owner of an NHL team, he could leverage a free arena out of it.

It didn't work and you want people to claim "both sides"? What is it with wanting to be a victim these days, being a victim is not great; it isn't something people should want to be.
I like Jim, have met him many times, have spoken with him at length about a variety of things. I reside in a business world where I see the other side of his workings, maybe that you all don't see.

You can try and make personal attacks, doesn't make you look any more informed.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
IMO, if you are serious about #1, then you don't bring up 3-5 without acknowledging that you have given statements in the past to the opposite. "I'm not spending more of my hard earned money on the team" is easily read to mean that you are not investing beyond what revenue brings in. Now you are saying the opposite and fans are left to wonder which Eugene to believe. Without addressing the previous comments he is acknowledging the disconnect without addressing it.

Agree with the rest.
You are right to an extent. He has stated that correlation between revenues and salaries, back in December 2017, which sucks for those who buy tickets. Today, it sounds like he is ready to forego that train of thought. Maybe because it is easy to do so with all the expensive contracts gone. That is why I liked that. Of course, we need action as well. That is where he can try and take some baby steps and get people on board.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
It's been 1 week man.
Well, I know Whitey said he is doing the tomorrow and the last game of the season, which is a Saturday. Just curious, as to other changes coming. Looks like Matty K will be the new fill in guy if AJ is busy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Melnyk tanked a major development g project. Watson has every reason to call him to task for it.

That isn't terrible communication, per se, it's terrible planning, and an inability to see likely outcomes. What, did he think people would pat him on the back for following through on a thinly veiled threat because he didn't think the fanbase at large was giving him enough money?

Re: your other comment, I frankly don't care how I come across to you. You were being entirely hypocritical, praising his idiotic words, while calling for less of them, and more action (all of which has served to further alienate the fans).

I think your premise is flawed, and your assessment comically offbase, much like the comments you had assessed as positives.
I am not justifying anything he did. I have season tickets and the last thing I wanted was a rebuild.

I know there is more to the Lebreton story, you have already made up your mind, but there are two sides to a story and on this one, three or four.

Yes, it is terrible planning, never said otherwise. You couldn't understand what I typed, that doesn't make me a hypocrite. And you reiterated exactly that you do not understand.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It seems to me like yesterday that you said the flawed market is the reason big Euge doesn't spend. Oh wait, it was yesterday...

Yeah, the market is still flawed.

Happily, today, it sounds like he is willing to spend in spite of attendance. That is good, isn't it? I have season tickets, and it is not reassuring to go to games of 10K all season, knowing that the owner said he was going to tie revenues to payroll. So, for me personally, that is good news. But I want action, and proof of it. If Chabot gets extended the right way, it will signal to me that there is hope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad