The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Marchand sure has trouble taking it considering he likes to dish it out so much.

Great player with a big personality, but his pouting act last night kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Nobody gets butt hurt as much as hockey media folk.

They make fun of players for being bland cliche machines during interviews, then as soon as someone shows a little bit of personality, or humour . . . they get ready to crucify them.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Curious what type of Coin do the host make? Guessing JR also being the Boss makes the most and probably Ian since he is such a pro. Seems they all make pretty good coin judging by the lavish lifestyles many of them talk about with traveling, expensive clothes, homes, etc. Also do they receive bennies from sponsors like free drinks, dinner, etc., besides the never having to pay for sporting events?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Good talk with brad Shaw on 1200.
I really enjoyed the interview as well, seems like he would be a great fit.

Unfortunately, when discussing the Sens job, it seemed like he hasn't and doesn't expect to hear from the Sens at all. If he hasn't heard anything yet, and Pierre Dorion is on "personal leave", its not looking like he will be interviewed anytime soon.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I really enjoyed the interview as well, seems like he would be a great fit.

Unfortunately, when discussing the Sens job, it seemed like he hasn't and doesn't expect to hear from the Sens at all. If he hasn't heard anything yet, and Pierre Dorion is on "personal leave", its not looking like he will be interviewed anytime soon.

What now? Like vacation or something else?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
For all of last weeks' show, and part of yesterdays' show, the host(s) of "That's what she said" lamented about the more than 200 female hockey players, who issued a collective statement to say they will no longer play in any professional league in North America until they get “the resources that professional hockey demands and deserves.”

I don't think this is going to result in anything substantive for Women's Pro Hockey.
If your product on the ice does not attract enough revenues to sustain it, then perhaps other choices need to be made.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For all of last weeks' show, and part of yesterdays' show, the host(s) of "That's what she said" lamented about the more than 200 female hockey players, who issued a collective statement to say they will no longer play in any professional league in North America until they get “the resources that professional hockey demands and deserves.”

I don't think this is going to result in anything substantive for Women's Pro Hockey.
If your product on the ice does not attract enough revenues to sustain it, then perhaps other choices need to be made.
tenor.gif

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Short term probably not, but the issue is there and it’ll stick until someone comes up with the money. Woman’s hockey is just to good and so many girls are playing to not have a league sooner or later.

I’m a big sports fan and I didn’t even know there was a woman’s pro league, so a good place to start would be with people like me who will buy tickets to something like this to take nieces, sisters and GF’s to.

Reactions: aragorn

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

So much for the woman's professional league then.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Nobody wants to pay much money to watch teams that are regularly beaten by Midget teams, the quality just isn't there professionally to keep any kind of salaried league afloat.

It sucks, but that's how it is.

I think the idea is more so to give young girls players to look up to and a league they picturing themselves playing in. As of right now, women's hockey gets exposure once every 4 years. It was easy for guys to picture themselves playing in the NHL like their heros like Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg or Paul Kariya etc. If women's leagues have more visibility and recognition, then more girls might picture themselves playing in those leagues. So 10-15 years down the road, the quality of play will increase.

Just because something doesn't have an audience today, doesn't mean it never will

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think the idea is more so to give young girls players to look up to and a league they picturing themselves playing in. As of right now, women's hockey gets exposure once every 4 years. It was easy for guys to picture themselves playing in the NHL like their heros like Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg or Paul Kariya etc. If women's leagues have more visibility and recognition, then more girls might picture themselves playing in those leagues. So 10-15 years down the road, the quality of play will increase.
Where is this money going to come from? They don't get the fans, and the ones they do get won't pay a premium. Media outlets won't pay a premium.

Giving the league exposure isn't going to do much. Teams are in the red paying players less than 20k a year, not sure how teams would survive with a substantial jump.

Kids have no idea what these guys make, but they do get to watch them because of them being in the best league, and Media/Fans/Video Games/Broadcasting paying a premium to get their rights to broadcast them, as they make money off of them. That would not be the case for a Women's league.

I don't see any of that being available to them, unfortunately. The demand isn't there, at all.

You can't give young girls something that is fiscally unattainable.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A mini womans league could work....if it was something like a 6-8 team league in the GTA. It sucks for the rest of the country, but you need to factor in travel costs and populations. As long as you can get games on television on a regular basis, you can find a way to float an economical league.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
The market simply isn't there. It is a shame but you can't force people to care and pay.

Reality is reality. Economics are economics.

It's like people proclaiming certain things should be rights. "Everyone should have the right to a X".

If it's a positive right, someone has to provide it. And that costs money. And as long as we have markets and private property, people have to agree to do that.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I like Chris Stevenson . . he's usually for the most part objective and aware of his biases. But man . . listening to him talk about golf . . . [mod: lol no]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BatherSeason

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I like Chris Stevenson . . he's usually for the most part objective and aware of his biases. But man . . listening to him talk about golf . . . having my cornhole waxed would be less painful.
Haha, listening at work too and had exactly the same thought

Still a tad better than the Whitey/Lloyd/Kenny Walls flirtation/tease fest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been listening to TSN1200 daily since 1998. I listen from 7:30am -8:00am and then again from 4:00pm - 4:30pm. I've never been one to complain about the format, the shows, etc. I love listen to guys talk about the Senators and there was always tons of it.

JR, Steve Warne, Steve Lloyd, Ian Mendes were always great to listen to, all for different reasons. I could take or leave guys like Todd White and Shawn Simpson.

I'm also a subscriber to SiriusXM. Over the past year, I've been getting frustrated with the number of commercials on terrestrial radio and flipping over to NHL Radio or various music channels. I still listened to those two half hour chunks of TSN 1200 though every week day.

When Steve Warne was fired however, something changed in the way I saw the station. I gave it a few days, hoping that this was the start of a new set of voices. It became clear though that lesser lights like Lee Versage and AJ Jakubec were the "solution".

I heard about Steve's podcast, so I gave it a go. It was ok, but this opened a new world of podcasts that I knew existed but never paid attention to. I started downloading more and more, and I'm really enjoying them.

All this to say, this morning I realized I haven't turned on TSN 1200 in 6 weeks. I switched over when I realized I hadn't heard them in a long while, only to find a commercial. I checked again this afternoon and was treated to the guys talking about cinnamon buns for some reason.

I'm done. 21 years of daily listening. I'm out.

Reactions: Inkling

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I've been listening to TSN1200 daily since 1998. I listen from 7:30am -8:00am and then again from 4:00pm - 4:30pm. I've never been one to complain about the format, the shows, etc. I love listen to guys talk about the Senators and there was always tons of it.

JR, Steve Warne, Steve Lloyd, Ian Mendes were always great to listen to, all for different reasons. I could take or leave guys like Todd White and Shawn Simpson.

I'm also a subscriber to SiriusXM. Over the past year, I've been getting frustrated with the number of commercials on terrestrial radio and flipping over to NHL Radio or various music channels. I still listened to those two half hour chunks of TSN 1200 though every week day.

When Steve Warne was fired however, something changed in the way I saw the station. I gave it a few days, hoping that this was the start of a new set of voices. It became clear though that lesser lights like Lee Versage and AJ Jakubec were the "solution".

I heard about Steve's podcast, so I gave it a go. It was ok, but this opened a new world of podcasts that I knew existed but never paid attention to. I started downloading more and more, and I'm really enjoying them.

All this to say, this morning I realized I haven't turned on TSN 1200 in 6 weeks. I switched over when I realized I hadn't heard them in a long while, only to find a commercial. I checked again this afternoon and was treated to the guys talking about cinnamon buns for some reason.

I'm done. 21 years of daily listening. I'm out.
I feel bad for Ian Mendez.

Quality guy and 1st class all the way.

TSN1200 is pure an unadulterated garbage (other than Ian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad