The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Profit (or sometimes, minimizing losses) is the bottom line for radio stations, not listeners. They could throw all kinds of money at revamping the daily schedule, getting better talent, doing more marketing, and it would probably gain a lot of listeners and advertisers but whether it would increase profit is an entirely different matter.

My hot take is that the radio station exists almost solely to broadcast Sens games, and to a lesser extent, Red-Blacks games and other special events (NFL playoffs, World Junior etc.). That's where they make the money, particularly when the Sens go on a run or the RBs make the Grey Cup. Everything else keeps the lights on and fills the programming schedule and that's why nothing has really changed in years....they don't care (corporate level). Just a hot take, but when "it walks like a duck...." etc.

Advertisers are willing to pay for ears.

The more ears that are listening to a Radio station allows the Station to charge more $$$$ for advertising than their competitors.

The more $$$ a station can charge means more Profit.

More Listeners = more profit.

TSN 1200 pays the Senators for the radio broadcasting rights, for this market, and they then extract $$$$$ from advertisers who want to advertise to the demographic that will most likley be listening to those games.

There is no profit without listeners, or higher profits without a higher number of listeners than your competition.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's kinda sad the move from TEAM to TSN didn't seem to change anything on the station. If they won't shake the schedule up for a re-brand with the top sports news station in the country, they sure as heck don't have much of a reason to now.
The biggest change was that it gave them direct access to all of the resources for basically every sport that the TSN Network covers. Every TSN Hockey Insider used to have a scheduled weekly segment, they had guys like Jack Armstrong on almost weekly to discuss the Raptors, they used to bring in guys to talk Jays, tennis, golf, etc.

Fast forward to today and something has changed, because the TSN Insiders now appear much less than they used to and the schedule is scattered all over the place, even the hockey guys. Why is it that Ray Ferraro, for example, seems to have a scheduled weekly timeslot on TSN690, but he only appears on TSN1200 every once in awhile?? Maybe there are financial restraints, maybe the hosts have just gotten lazy and stopped trying to bring guests on the station but for whatever reason, the commercial breaks keep getting longer and the segments where they discuss sports keep getting shorter, while the guest list seems to have shrunk immensely, apart from the Pierre McGuire segment that seems to be the only one that has a consistent schedule

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Advertisers are willing to pay for ears.

The more ears that are listening to a Radio station allows the Station to charge more $$$$ for advertising than their competitors.

The more $$$ a station can charge means more Profit.

More Listeners = more profit.

TSN 1200 pays the Senators for the radio broadcasting rights, for this market, and they then extract $$$$$ from advertisers who want to advertise to the demographic that will most likley be listening to those games.

There is no profit without listeners, or higher profits without a higher number of listeners than your competition.
I think when the only advertisers you are able to attract are very small businesses like 1877-KARS4KIDS, The Brew Table, Pajamagram, etc. you are probably doing something wrong.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think when the only advertisers you are able to attract are very small businesses like 1877-KARS4KIDS, The Brew Table, Pajamagram, etc. you are probably doing something wrong.

They have you listening.

Rating are a reflection of the number of listeners your station is attracting, and advertisers are attracted to listeners, and pay up, for that number of listeners.

Seeing how they're the highest rated AM station in the Market, 5th overall ..... that's something right, not something wrong.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wolanin. Great interview.

Hopefully he is the ceci replacement we need to allow for a ceci trade.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
They have you listening.

Rating are a reflection of the number of listeners your station is attracting, and advertisers are attracted to listeners, and pay up, for that number of listeners.

Seeing how they're the highest rated AM station in the Market, 5th overall ..... that's something right, not something wrong.

I suspect the demographic of the listeners is REALLY important as well, and I can't imagine that TSN1200's demographic (men between the age of 35 and 55?) is a very good one.

I'd be intrigued to know how much TSN1200 can charge for an ad verses some of the other stations in town.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think that show prep is very minimal on this station. I understand the challenges and I absolutely understand how radio works, but you can't honestly listen to Simmer or Warne speak and actually think that there has been show prep done aside from browsing their twitter feeds and watching Sportscentre before they go on air. I believe that Mendes is very well prepared for his shows, and he most assuredly gives Simmer a copy of his show outline, but Simmer doesn't do anything with it. As for the other shows, TGOR has about one 10 minute segment per hour where they actually discuss something sports related, so it shouldn't be difficult, and like Mendes, I actually believe that JR somewhat prepares for his shows, not sure about Warne. The biggest sign is of poor prep is when TGOR has anyone to interview, like Pierre Dorion, earlier in the season, they basically butcher the interview because they aren't prepared. As for Whitey and Lloyd, I am sure there is some prep, but really, you can actually hear Todd White scrolling through his twitter feed live on air.

Of course everyone can and most will disagree, but when you compare TGOR to TSN Weekend ( no sense even bothering comparing to another legit sports radio station), for example, you can actually see what hosts do their homework and what hosts don't. Chreech and Bunda come prepared, and that doesn't mean browsing their Twitter feed during commercials. And even though I don't like Versage's schtick, he appears to be very prepared any time he hosts.

Mendes wrote an article about how he and SImmer clashed, in part, because he didn't think Simpson did enough prep. But they talked it out, both agreed to make changes and it all flows much better now.

Look it up on TSN, its there somewhere. Posted maybe a year ago.

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
Mendes wrote an article about how he and SImmer clashed, in part, because he didn't think Simpson did enough prep. But they talked it out, both agreed to make changes and it all flows much better now.

Look it up on TSN, its there somewhere. Posted maybe a year ago.
Why does nobody just call them Shawn and Ian

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I am not a big fan of TGOR but have to admit they really stepped up their game today! Lots of frank discussion about our UFAs and ownership's ability to spend money. Thought it was quite refreshing for a change!! Keep it up TGOR!!

New Pet Peeve - the constant ribbing of Todd White.

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
I am not a big fan of TGOR but have to admit they really stepped up their game today! Lots of frank discussion about our UFAs and ownership's ability to spend money. Thought it was quite refreshing for a change!! Keep it up TGOR!!

The issue is it won’t last tomorrow Steve will be back to being melnyks puppet

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019

Me too the problem is Steve Lloyd can’t get any guests on the show to they need to try and fill time to make up for the lack of guests

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
But his name is Ian he doesn’t have a nick name

Panda.

But we can give him our own nickname....Sendes, Mr. Talkie (like Mr. Hockey), The Mendurian (Centurian), The Mendurian Candidate, The Ron Maclean of Ottawa.

C’mon, help me out. Got any?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
@ianmendes

Please call out Big Bruce "The Shill" Garrioch for his mouthpiece-foolery. It's disgusting what this guy gets away with. He feeds carefully crafted, manipulative BS to the average casual fan in exchange for Pierre Dorion feeding him scoops to break, but the die hards know what he's selling. Don't let him get away with it.

PS. You would be better suited for the question period and general air time on TSN, I can't stand watching BG on my TV it enrages me. But I wonder why Bruce gets that spot? Maybe the organization mandated that he is their guy? Kind of suspicious, no?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
@ianmendes

Please call out Big Bruce "The Shill" Garrioch for his mouthpiece-foolery. It's disgusting what this guy gets away with. He feeds carefully crafted, manipulative BS to the average casual fan in exchange for Pierre Dorion feeding him scoops to break, but the die hards know what he's selling. Don't let him get away with it.

PS. You would be better suited for the question period and general air time on TSN, I can't stand watching BG on my TV it enrages me. But I wonder why Bruce gets that spot? Maybe the organization mandated that he is their guy? Kind of suspicious, no?

Please explain the rest of the conspiracy theroy .....

11898910_1491479494497254_2798966076505705607_n.jpg

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad