The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Don't know if you listened to the show, or not, but they actually talked about what the reaction would be, from the fan base, if Stone and Duchene were "allowed to walk" and become UFAs ...... putting it as an option that could happen.

We all know that Ottawa will either sign or trade them, and never will they be allowed "to walk".

They never made the point that allowing them to walk, is not going to happen.
Most likely describing that as the worst case scenario. Which if you think about it, would really be the worst case scenario for the club. How can anyone be offended by that? I doubt they were saying it is likely to happen. Anyway, it seems like there are some underlying misogynist attitudes at play here.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
If they were to get injured between now and the deadline, that is a somewhat realistic scenario where they could walk for nothing
Which, correct me if I'm wrong, was a primary motivator to trade Karlsson when he was traded. Mitigate the risk of injury diminishing the return.

However, it's ok to cruise into the deadline with three assets that could return nothing should they get hurt.

I'm not saying the current strategy is wrong, but I'm illustrating another inconsistency in the narrative surrounding the Karlsson trade.

Reactions: Gesus

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Most likely describing that as the worst case scenario. Which if you think about it, would really be the worst case scenario for the club. How can anyone be offended by that? I doubt they were saying it is likely to happen. Anyway, it seems like there are some underlying misogynist attitudes at play here.

I don't think it's misogynistic to expect any radio show host to be one of the best at their craft.
When TWSS went live, we had full page articles in Le Droit and so on telling us how they were unique in the market.
Shyla went on the front page of the Sun in her Sens jersey with an X on it and a pitiable expression saying she was done with the team (and then went to the San Jose game?) so she has publicly put herself out there.
The show is fine. But, and this is my opinion, it would be better off as a podcast, like what Welcome to Your Karlsson Years does, or perhaps with guests or whatnot.

Think about it this way: What differentiates That's What She Said from Battle of the Atlantic? Not a lot? One day the show will find its footing and excel and they'll have general managers and Serena Williams and Simona Halep (why hasn't this happened yet, by the way?) and so on. But the show is still in its infancy and I should be able to criticize it or praise it as needed. They're in the bad spot of not being insiders in any capacity, so that makes this tougher. Maybe they use this as a step toward a larger media market though. They end up in Toronto or Montréal or New York or L.A. and really show everyone. That would be fantastic, and I'd give them effusive praise for it.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I don't think it's misogynistic to expect any radio show host to be one of the best at their craft.
They both have ‘real’ jobs and the radio show is a result of basically being super fans. I sense that some folks are bent out of shape simply because they are women. These folks’ criticism is nonsensical and disproportionate. I will admit that I don’t really like the show much but I’m not out there attacking it just because. If it gets a following, more power to it.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like TWSS and I last listened to it the day of the OC Transpo accident, what I like about it most is they bring a super fans passion but they have the skills and knowledge of how to do radio and communicate. It has a free thought feel but it’s proffesionally done.

And I agree a podcast format would be interesting.

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
They both have ‘real’ jobs and the radio show is a result of basically being super fans. I sense that some folks are bent out of shape simply because they are women. These folks’ criticism is nonsensical and disproportionate. I will admit that I don’t really like the show much but I’m not out there attacking it just because. If it gets a following, more power to it.
That one girl all she does is talk and complain about Karlsson. And for michaela she really seems to struggle

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

I think they do a good job, and it's nice not hearing the same people all the time on TSN1200

Reactions: Icelevel

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
106.9 should turn into straight up hip hop/ rap radio station just like what 89.9 was when it first came. You ain't gonna beat them in top 40 market, and the rock stations are all accounted for, sports and talk radio already got their market set up. Do something different and it might pay off.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Did you read his post correctly?

I clearly read that there are problems with the station....

but that's me.

So are you saying that averaging the same amount of listeners weekly as Boom FM is a good thing?? I didn't even know Boom FM existed to be honest. I would hope/expect the station to at least keep up with Magic 100. This was also a post from 2017, where the data was also from 2017, the same year that the Ottawa Senators had their magical run to the ECFs. I would be curious to see what their listener numbers are for 2018, the year they decided to bow down to the almighty Melnyk and drag Erik Karlsson through the mud.

Are you also saying that the station should be content with status quo?? Shouldn't everyone in life and in business thrive to become better than they are?? People love sports, what can I tell you, I love sports, that's why I listen, even though I know the station can be better.

Last edited:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Just because people are listening doesn't mean it's good. At all.

It is a captive market. If you like sports, no matter how bad the coverage is, you tune in.

I'd like to say the higher than expected rating is because of the hard hitting sports analysis, the inquisitive hosts who are never afraid to ask the tough questions
and an ear to the ground on prominent fan issues and concerns.

Or......it could be the fabulous prize packs and comedic interludes of hosts.

Pizza or shawarma anyone. That's a tough one! Tune in and find out!
Ratings are going to soar!

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
So are you saying that averaging the same amount of listeners weekly as Boom FM is a good thing?? I didn't even know Boom FM existed to be honest. I would hope/expect the station to at least keep up with Magic 100. This was also a post from 2017, where the data was also from 2017, the same year that the Ottawa Senators had their magical run to the ECFs. I would be curious to see what their listener numbers are for 2018, the year they decided to bow down to the almighty Melnyk and drag Erik Karlsson through the mud.

Are you also saying that the station should be content with status quo?? Shouldn't everyone in life and in business thrive to become better than they are?? People love sports, what can I tell you, I love sports, that's why I listen, even though I know the station can be better.
And in the real world if you don’t do a good job you get replaced. So at the station Steve warne and lee versage have been doing a really bad job, for a long time so they should be replaced because radio is the entertainment business and when they’re on people aren’t entertained so they should be let go

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Don't be dissing my Boom FM. That' the only FM station I listen to these days, since The Bear turned into some crap top 40 station.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If you think they don't do any prep for a 4 hour show, you have no idea how radio works or how challenging it can be to host a talk show.
I think that show prep is very minimal on this station. I understand the challenges and I absolutely understand how radio works, but you can't honestly listen to Simmer or Warne speak and actually think that there has been show prep done aside from browsing their twitter feeds and watching Sportscentre before they go on air. I believe that Mendes is very well prepared for his shows, and he most assuredly gives Simmer a copy of his show outline, but Simmer doesn't do anything with it. As for the other shows, TGOR has about one 10 minute segment per hour where they actually discuss something sports related, so it shouldn't be difficult, and like Mendes, I actually believe that JR somewhat prepares for his shows, not sure about Warne. The biggest sign is of poor prep is when TGOR has anyone to interview, like Pierre Dorion, earlier in the season, they basically butcher the interview because they aren't prepared. As for Whitey and Lloyd, I am sure there is some prep, but really, you can actually hear Todd White scrolling through his twitter feed live on air.

Of course everyone can and most will disagree, but when you compare TGOR to TSN Weekend ( no sense even bothering comparing to another legit sports radio station), for example, you can actually see what hosts do their homework and what hosts don't. Chreech and Bunda come prepared, and that doesn't mean browsing their Twitter feed during commercials. And even though I don't like Versage's schtick, he appears to be very prepared any time he hosts.

Reactions: Radiogirl

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Just because people are listening doesn't mean it's good. At all.

Listeners is what it's all about in the Radio ratings games. Listeners attracts advertisers and that's the bottom line for all radio stations.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Listeners is what it's all about in the Radio ratings games. Listeners attracts advertisers and that's the bottom line for all radio stations.

Profit (or sometimes, minimizing losses) is the bottom line for radio stations, not listeners. They could throw all kinds of money at revamping the daily schedule, getting better talent, doing more marketing, and it would probably gain a lot of listeners and advertisers but whether it would increase profit is an entirely different matter.

My hot take is that the radio station exists almost solely to broadcast Sens games, and to a lesser extent, Red-Blacks games and other special events (NFL playoffs, World Junior etc.). That's where they make the money, particularly when the Sens go on a run or the RBs make the Grey Cup. Everything else keeps the lights on and fills the programming schedule and that's why nothing has really changed in years....they don't care (corporate level). Just a hot take, but when "it walks like a duck...." etc.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It's kinda sad the move from TEAM to TSN didn't seem to change anything on the station. If they won't shake the schedule up for a re-brand with the top sports news station in the country, they sure as heck don't have much of a reason to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad