The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Part of the disconnect with the fan/media relationship is the media plays along with the Sens BS about 'Dorion is working to find time to schedule a meeting with the agent to negoatite but there are planes involved and time zones and long distance phone calls.'

Like honestly, quit with the BS. Don't feed us the Sens PR line, just be straight and say 'if Dorion doesn't know what Stone and Duchene want by now, the owner should fire him because he's incompetent. These are their two best players and they've had a year to negotiate. This comes down to only two things, the players don't want to sign or Dorion doesn't have permission to cut the cheques, end of story. In both cases, the players will be traded. Swallow hard Sens fans, this is the reality of your club.'

Why do we have to get this truth from media in Toronto or Los Angeles or New York? Why do they speak the reality of Senators but our media can't speak this same truth. This isn't a fog of war, it's fog of stupid. It's seeing someone on a daily basis tell you a complete BS story, but you buy it, and reprint it. Like the Karlsson BS, offer him a contract and at the team photo they were actually friendly don't believe the other media that tells you they weren't - and EK comes out and says they didn't speak for 10 months. Of course the relationship is frosty, why pretend otherwise, that's the truth, why spin that truth if everyone in the community feels it and believes it. We will get the truth eventually, why the need to resssure Dorion and Melnyck that as reporters you have blinders on?

Lol, please tell me this is idea is not something legit initially put out by the org???? The lies in the past were at least given more than a minute of thought, were onto gaslighting now?

I agree in that the Sens media here clearly has never nor intended to ask any really relevant questions and essentially lob softballs, tip toe around real issues etc..., I'm not sure exactly where the radio station fits into it and I understand for access reasons they need to play nice and be extremely generic thus I personally rarely tune in and have not received really anything relevant about the team for the last 4-5 years or so.

It's as clear as day that the UFA's all do not want to sign to play for Eugene Melnyk specifically. Also it is also fairly clear Eugene through his own doing does not have the funding to offer really any of them competitive offers nor provide fans with an NHL experience at this point.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
TSN1200 is fine for the most part.
My ideal mix:
Lloydie and Todd White: Fine, but please stop picking on Todd all the time, they guy is a fantastic asset and he basically gets bullied every day. Yes, I'd stop and tell Todd this in a grocery store.
Ian and Simmer: -Simmer, + Lee. Lee has a lot of sports knowledge and Simmer doesn't seem like he wants to be there, it's just casual "yeah, mmhmm" and thinking about his dinner appointments, I gather.
J.R. and Steve are fine. It's not perfect but it's fine.
A.J. is great, but he needs to dial down the ranting a tiny bit. When he talked about Fury's situation he was passionate and explained it well. When he's on the postgame he really needs to get a bunch of callers and emails through and not go too long on the opinions.
Smyth is meh, but whatever.
Calling Bruce the "Mouth of Sauron" is brilliant, he will never investigate, never ask hard questions, just shrug and write another shill piece. Less of him and Brennan, in general.
Eric M. I don't mind as much anymore. He's got a lot of intelligent takes.
Dean and Gord should be seperated on the broadcast occasionally, but especially when they start making in-jokes and giggling. Seriously, groom a new gen here.
That's What She Said is :huh: Last week I tuned in and heard about one of the host's vacations and how Ottawa sucked to live in. I mean, not to be too blunt, but move to Toronto or MTL or Burnaby or somewhere? Why am I hearing about your personal lives? Talk more sports, from the moment the intro drops. Otherwise this show is nice enough.
Battle of Atlantic: Is ok. I am not a Callum Fraser guy, he seems too high-strung for me. I'd like Creecher in his spot.
Creech is amazing, one of the few mellow voices.
Matty K is more than fine.

Overall rate TSN1200 about 6.5 to 7 out of ten.
Yes, it could use a bit of a shakeup but all hockey media needs this, there just aren't enough analytical and data-based voices out there.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
TSN1200 should conduct interviews similar to how Robyn Bresnahan did it when she interviewed Dorion and Nicolas Ruszkowski

That requires journalists with journalist degrees with a sense of pride of doing their job properly, problem is only Ian fits that profile, rest are just sports jockeys that are all buddy and buddy with the Dorion and friends.

Reactions: InAbsensia

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I don't even understand Dorion hides from the media. It's not like they are throwing hard ball questions at him.

Dorion only rears his uneven sideburns in public when he has something to be smug about.

There are no positives occurring at this point in the season so hes unable to trot out to a podium and flash his shit-eating grin while telling everyone this was his master plan all along.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Scanlan just published an article saying Ottawa sucks at media. So good. Scanlan said the Karlsson negoatoations were no negotiations, maybe when you go work for a Toronto based company the feelings of the owner and the interest of the fans find a better balance - but that was kind of my point

Reactions: lancepitlick

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
That requires journalists with journalist degrees with a sense of pride of doing their job properly, problem is only Ian fits that profile, rest are just sports jockeys that are all buddy and buddy with the Dorion and friends.

Not to mention Eugene would probably 'bury them' like he threatened to do to Brent Wallace when he asked some tough questions.

TBH after hearing something like that I'd probably be reluctant to go hard ball on the criticism also.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Scanlan just published an article saying Ottawa sucks at media. So good. Scanlan said the Karlsson negoatoations were no negotiations, maybe when you go work for a Toronto based company the feelings of the owner and the interest of the fans find a better balance - but that was kind of my point

Link?

Reactions: Variable26

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not to mention Eugene would probably 'bury them' like he threatened to do to Brent Wallace when he asked some tough questions.

TBH after hearing something like that I'd probably be reluctant to go hard ball on the criticism also.

Ottawa is a town that a bully will never win in - the fans will always stick by these guys if Poo-jeans wants to go that way. I can’t even believe how think skinned you have to be to have a problem with Brent Wallace or Ken Warren asking questions.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
@ianmendes
You guys seriously need to ask the tough questions. It's pathetic the stuff that the team gets away with. Pierre Dorion hasn't had to answer for anything. Bruce Garrioch also needs to be grilled too. He's a worm. Literally the Mouth of Sauron. He has poisoned the fanbase with his misinformation for years. He is assisting in the demise of this team. I hope he doesn't get let off the hook.

A lot of the media are just delivering puff pieces, except when it comes to Melnyk (only after they kicked Warren off the plane, mind you). No tough questions for Boucher to answer. If you watch other press conferences, the media are instigating provoking, thoughtful questions, if not angry at times. When was the last time someone brought up the struggles of Cody Ceci? Zack Smith? Someone can rattle off some horrific statistics, which are factual, yet no one does. On the critical 5th goal on the PP against Carolina, noe one brought up how poorly played it was, and the same players are always at fault.

Too easy.

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
Pierre Dorion hasn't been seen in months, have only heard from him in carefully crafted press release "statements", can't really fault the station for not grilling him when they don't even have an opportunity to talk to him.
Marc Bergevin did his mid season presser and yet we haven’t heard for Pierre dorion all year, irs pretty pathetic that media lets them get away with this and continues to be Melnyks puppets

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
A lot of the media are just delivering puff pieces, except when it comes to Melnyk (only after they kicked Warren off the plane, mind you). No tough questions for Boucher to answer. If you watch other press conferences, the media are instigating provoking, thoughtful questions, if not angry at times. When was the last time someone brought up the struggles of Cody Ceci? Zack Smith? Someone can rattle off some horrific statistics, which are factual, yet no one does. On the critical 5th goal on the PP against Carolina, noe one brought up how poorly played it was, and the same players are always at fault.

Too easy.
It’s because look who’s asking the questions Gord Wilson and Bruce Garrioch both are Melnyks puppets
Anyone who thinks that Ian Mendes isn't excellent at his job needs to delete their account my goodness. That's insane. He's by far the most informed and likeable host the station has had on air since the inception of OSR.

Now Versage on the other hand...
Steve Warne struggles to

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Anyone who thinks that Ian Mendes isn't excellent at his job needs to delete their account my goodness. That's insane. He's by far the most informed and likeable host the station has had on air since the inception of OSR.

Now Versage on the other hand...
I thought Leever was great today on the drive until he started talking about Aaron Rogers choosing coaches. Other than that he was all about sports.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Stone is gone. What we are seeing now is going to really hurt Poo-jeans because the media is saying ‘despite all the evidence that Ottawa is going to be bad for a long time, despite he lack of resources and the lack of leadership in ownership and management, despite the low attendance and the old arena and all the drama - Mark Stone is willing to do something stupid and stay in Ottawa out of loyalty to the franchise - and all Poo-jeans has to do is be fair and Mark will sign on the dotted line. All he’s asking for is fair. Can the owner be fair to a top NHL player who’s willing to suspend reason and rationality and sign on long term to Ottawa?’

The answer is no, Melnyck won’t give Stone the money and when this penny drops, there will be a bit of anger, but it’ll mostly just be defeat, exhaustion, bitter disapointment.

With Erik there was so much being talked about from his loyalty to Alfie, to him thinking we’d have a new owner, to cyber bullying, his son Axel, this deeper feeling that he was almost meant to play hockey in California and his ties to Tampa - so all the story lines kind of were leading him out of town.

With Stone, we have the Captaincy we want him to accept and the only thing we hear is ‘I love it hear and I want to stay. And I’ll talk down any reporter who doubts my loyalty to this team and city. Even if my ears are half Vulcan I am 100% committed to being an Ottawa Senator’

So it’ll hurt.

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019
TSN1200 is fine for the most part.
My ideal mix:
Lloydie and Todd White: Fine, but please stop picking on Todd all the time, they guy is a fantastic asset and he basically gets bullied every day. Yes, I'd stop and tell Todd this in a grocery store.
Ian and Simmer: -Simmer, + Lee. Lee has a lot of sports knowledge and Simmer doesn't seem like he wants to be there, it's just casual "yeah, mmhmm" and thinking about his dinner appointments, I gather.
J.R. and Steve are fine. It's not perfect but it's fine.
A.J. is great, but he needs to dial down the ranting a tiny bit. When he talked about Fury's situation he was passionate and explained it well. When he's on the postgame he really needs to get a bunch of callers and emails through and not go too long on the opinions.
Smyth is meh, but whatever.
Calling Bruce the "Mouth of Sauron" is brilliant, he will never investigate, never ask hard questions, just shrug and write another shill piece. Less of him and Brennan, in general.
Eric M. I don't mind as much anymore. He's got a lot of intelligent takes.
Dean and Gord should be seperated on the broadcast occasionally, but especially when they start making in-jokes and giggling. Seriously, groom a new gen here.
That's What She Said is :huh: Last week I tuned in and heard about one of the host's vacations and how Ottawa sucked to live in. I mean, not to be too blunt, but move to Toronto or MTL or Burnaby or somewhere? Why am I hearing about your personal lives? Talk more sports, from the moment the intro drops. Otherwise this show is nice enough.
Battle of Atlantic: Is ok. I am not a Callum Fraser guy, he seems too high-strung for me. I'd like Creecher in his spot.
Creech is amazing, one of the few mellow voices.
Matty K is more than fine.

Overall rate TSN1200 about 6.5 to 7 out of ten.
Yes, it could use a bit of a shakeup but all hockey media needs this, there just aren't enough analytical and data-based voices out there.
I have to say I disagree on some parts his name is graham not creecher and I find that he tries to hard to talk like a 15 year old boy it’s like dude your 36. And lee versage and Steve Warne seem to really sturggle they have bad takes for example Steve Warne said Ottawa made good trades with hoffman and karlsson. As for lee versage his constant defense of Cody Ceci is pathetic and is just flat out embarrassing

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I have to say I disagree on some parts his name is graham not creecher and I find that he tries to hard to talk like a 15 year old boy it’s like dude your 36. And lee versage and Steve Warne seem to really sturggle they have bad takes for example Steve Warne said Ottawa made good trades with hoffman and karlsson. As for lee versage his constant defense of Cody Ceci is pathetic and is just flat out embarrassing
HOw do you know he's 36?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad