The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
FYI - I’m bringing on Bruce Firestone today at 3:35pm. I figure his background in hockey, real estate and ties to Lebreton make him a terrific guest on this topic.

Awesome interview. Bruce has such an extremely unique perspective on everything having dealt with very similar issues in the past.

The Ottawa Senators, the city of Ottawa, and Lebreton Flats need more guys like Bruce involved. A local guy who cares, is extremely smart, and legitimately understands this market, the city and the fans.

He's everything Eugene Melnyk is not.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Awesome interview. Bruce has such an extremely unique perspective on everything having dealt with very similar issues in the past.

The Ottawa Senators, the city of Ottawa, and Lebreton Flats need more guys like Bruce involved. A local guy who cares, is extremely smart, and legitimately understands this market, the city and the fans.

Except billionaire rich, unfortunately.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

He cares, is smart, but wouldn't call him a great business man. His dad was, and I believe he was behind the Daigle affair, the demise of the Rough Riders and his run at ownership .

But he did make some great points. Wish he would have stayed on longer

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
[Mod]

I thought Boro would know better after his pre-season interview to not comment on ownership and development. When the ownership group is to inept to speak for itself, it doesn’t mean you should speak up for them in their place. I know it’s seen as leadership because ‘he’s being a stand up guy when one of his guys is under fire’ but there’s also an element that you don’t swim to drowning man because he’ll take you down with him, so for Boro, just play your game and leave the nonsense Poo-Jean has created upstairs in the boardroom. Boro’s job is hard enough, taking hits in game and then outside of that with the fanbase makes it harder, and just doesn’t seem worth it in any sense. Be the protector on the ice for
Your teammates that’s what you were born to do, not for the organization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
{Mod]

I thought Boro would know better after his pre-season interview to not comment on ownership and development. When the ownership group is to inept to speak for itself, it doesn’t mean you should speak up for them in their place. I know it’s seen as leadership because ‘he’s being a stand up guy when one of his guys is under fire’ but there’s also an element that you don’t swim to drowning man because he’ll take you down with him, so for Boro, just play your game and leave the nonsense Poo-Jean has created upstairs in the boardroom. Boro’s job is hard enough, taking hits in game and then outside of that with the fanbase makes it harder, and just doesn’t seem worth it in any sense. Be the protector on the ice for
Your teammates that’s what you were born to do, not for the organization.[/QUOTE]
What did Boro say?

Last edited by a moderator:

Silex

Jan 22, 2009
Ottawa
So this technically is about Toronto Sports Radio, but I'm posting about it here in part because this is an example of what I wish Ottawa Sports Radio would be like.

Prime Time Sports just devoted the first 25 mins of its Friday Round Table talking about the Lebreton development and Melnyk's ownership situation. I would highly recommend anyone to listen to it once it becomes available (usually you can download it after 7pm once the show ends off of the site). They touched on a wide variety of aspects of the situation and it was very thoughtful and engaging discussions that this market sometimes sorely lacks.

I wish I could give a rundown of the segment, but like I said, they covered a lot of ground. I will note, however, that at the end of the segment, Bob McCown made a very interesting comment. If you didn't know, McCown has a relationship with Melnyk where they talk on a semi-regular basis. So while he was throwing the question to the rest of the panel about how long Melnyk can continue to own the Sens without a Lebreton deal in place, he remarked that in his recent conversations with Melnyk, on some days he seems '100% committed to the team', but on other days he appears to have 'completely lost interest'.

Now, I don't want to make grand extrapolations from this comment, but given that throughout this whole ordeal we have consistently hear that Melnyk will never budge on selling the team, this may be the first evidence of a crack in that narrative.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So this technically is about Toronto Sports Radio, but I'm posting about it here in part because this is an example of what I wish Ottawa Sports Radio would be like.

Prime Time Sports just devoted the first 25 mins of its Friday Round Table talking about the Lebreton development and Melnyk's ownership situation. I would highly recommend anyone to listen to it once it becomes available (usually you can download it after 7pm once the show ends off of the site). They touched on a wide variety of aspects of the situation and it was very thoughtful and engaging discussions that this market sometimes sorely lacks.

I wish I could give a rundown of the segment, but like I said, they covered a lot of ground. I will note, however, that at the end of the segment, Bob McCown made a very interesting comment. If you didn't know, McCown has a relationship with Melnyk where they talk on a semi-regular basis. So while he was throwing the question to the rest of the panel about how long Melnyk can continue to own the Sens without a Lebreton deal in place, he remarked that in his recent conversations with Melnyk, on some days he seems '100% committed to the team', but on other days he appears to have 'completely lost interest'.

Now, I don't want to make grand extrapolations from this comment, but given that throughout this whole ordeal we have consistently hear that Melnyk will never budge on selling the team, this may be the first evidence of a crack in that narrative.

I am wearing sunglasses (inside at night) while I type this.

Interesting McCown says Poo-Jeans is at times completely not interested - it shows in the product and the team. How can he maintain a passion for the team if it's going to be this for the next 5 years at least, and he's facing a bleak future. the fans have lost interest, the alumni have largely checked out, his management team is fleeing and the people he ran the team with when he wasn't universally disliked - Murray, Leeder, Lyndon Slewedge, Neil, Randy Rick Lee, Dave Cameron - are all gone. when Dorion said that Murray used to call Melnyck and talk a lot and Dorion does his communication via email (more impersonal and less engaging and no exchange of passion or friendship) it makes you think that Poo-jeans personal connection to the team players has been lost, and that's 95% of the fun of doing something like this. Simmer talks about the scouting and the cities he visited, but 95% of his takes are his fond memories of McPhee, Pat Quinn, Barry Trotz - the guys who make the game, the personalities That make fun.

Now that Ottawa looks like they won't make the playoffs and that Duch and Stone are leaving so there is basically zero prospect of the Melnyck name being on the Cup for the next 5 years, he's gotta be sitting back and thinking, what's the point?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Instead we get two full segments of Simmer Down where you can actually feel Simmer's ego grow through the radio. Or JR and Steve's Netflix reviews.

This city deserves better sports coverage in general.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Instead we get two full segments of Simmer Down where you can actually feel Simmer's ego grow through the radio. Or JR and Steve's Netflix reviews.

This city deserves better sports coverage in general.
That would require a shake up at TSN1200 starting with a firing of Simmer and his ego.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yes! Out of all of the Insiderzzz, Dreger brings the least to the table--and it's not even close. Can't remember the last time he had anything remotely interesting to say.
I feel like none of them bring anything interesting to the table anymore. Lebrun and Dreger are the worst of the bunch

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I feel like none of them bring anything interesting to the table anymore. Lebrun and Dreger are the worst of the bunch
It’s the over demand leading to over exposure. When these guys had 1 or 2 hits a week they could provide some good info. Now it’s 10 hits a day along with constant Twitter. I think they get the same amount of goods, it’s just not sufficient for the constant demand.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I like Simmer. The hate is really strange to me.

He's a ton of fun to listen to.

I don't hate Simmer, but I dont love him. I find his takes just dont really contribute much to discussions. He'll say his piece, but never really makes any compelling points. He sort of just states the obvious.

I definitely prefer Simmer to some others.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Just want to wish everyone on here a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, despite generally being on the wrong end of the discussions, I appricate a place to vent.

Reactions: HF Reader

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t mind Simmer, but listening to him, I notice that most of the time he rambles on and his train of thought is entirely conceptually disorganized.
Sometimes he even contradicts himself during one of his long winded takes. Of course he doesn’t realize it.
At least he doesn’t whine and temper tantrum like Versage.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don’t mind Simmer, but listening to him, I notice that most of the time he rambles on and his train of thought is entirely conceptually disorganized.
Sometimes he even contradicts himself during one of his long winded takes. Of course he doesn’t realize it.
At least he doesn’t whine and temper tantrum like Versage.
I find it annoying that he rarely answers a question directly. He starts by asking himself a question that barely relates to what he was asked and then goes on a 1 minute journey of catch phrases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad