The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If thats the case then Garrioch and Versage should just keep their traps shut then. Pro Melnyk talk is the same as anti Melnyk talk.
Garrioch embarrassed himself yesterday. I’m not a Versage fan at all but saying he was pro Melnyk is not what I heard.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
They won't.
They will lose their jobs or be suspended or lose access to the team if they do this.
Ian did ask some tough ones, and I credit him wholly for doing so, but then stopped pressing. I'd really love to see someone keep at it and at it until we catch the manager in a contradiction.

Even without being so aggressive, the whole Friday afternoon schedule was bizarre. Melnyk story blowing up and I am hearing CFL talk? Who cares? Talk about Melnyk, talk about the Dallas game, talk about the Minnesota game, talk about the afteroon Rangers/Flyers game. Talk hockey already! There is more than enough CFL coverage in the papers, can we get some hockey talk? And maybe some Premier League talk if they are displaced from their Monday because of hockey?

(Since I'm on a rant here...)
I love the Monday football show, but I'd like it to be a little inversed. Talk a good 30 minutes about the Premier League, then talk about the Fury and so on. I mean, TV5 has an hour plus of football talk where they talk all sorts of stuff relating to European football. I get this is more of a hockey market, but there are tons of PL fans in Ottawa region.

So TLDR:
Dig into the Melnyk Ruddy situation.
Ask probing questions of players/management, go after them!
A little more Premier League talk.
Let the CFL talk die after Sunday. Congratulate the winner and move on to the Senators, 24/7 and sprinkle in talk about other Canadian teams. Just 15 minutes with Pierre McGuire is not enough!

P.S. I love the Thursday positive segment concept, but I'd rather Throwback Thursday or just more hockey insider talk. There's 31 teams, let's dig in! :D

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Opinion of Pierre McGuire? Is his son that great of a player? He really is pumping up his sons draft class everytime I hear him on the radio.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Time for the local hockey insiders to step up to the plate and do some real investigative journalism. Quit throwing lob balls at these guys and get to the heart of the matter.
Dig deep! It comes with the territory!

They mentioned the lawsuit this morning, even though it was at the end of the 6:00 hour and with the music playing in the background so they can go to commercial, I guess its a step in the right direction.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They mentioned the lawsuit this morning, even though it was at the end of the 6:00 hour and with the music playing in the background so they can go to commercial, I guess its a step in the right direction.
I hope Eric Macramalla does some work on this lawsuit and Melynk’s hilariously bad track record during litigations.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I hope Eric Macamalla does some work on this lawsuit and Melynk’s hilariously bad track record during litigations.
The station has barely mentioned the name "Melnyk" in months, choosing to deflect and dodge whenever they can, now that the CFL season is over, there really is no other excuse. Macramella should be all over this, as should the station. I get that the Grey Cup was the #1 focus over the past few weeks, but now that its over, the station needs to stop ignoring the one of the biggest sports/news stories in the city.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Big Rick Campbell fan. The stability, professionalism, leadership and how he honours his players the fans and the city - he is leading that Redblacks brand.

I was a South Side season ticket holder for 2 years under the roughridets, used to listen to their games on CFRA, was a huge fan back in the day. Went to as many games as we could. I’d go down to lansdown on our lunch breaks and watch the team practice. Went to their booster dinner once.

Lost the love of the CFL. I honestly haven’t tuned into a CFL game for probably 15 years until last night. Wasn’t impressed with the football, but whatever. I tuned in because hearing Campbell on the radio, seeing the success of the team. How can you not be a fan. Everything you want in a sports franchise - class, winning, top stadium.

Going to buy tickets next year. Be great to be back.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Even without being so aggressive, the whole Friday afternoon schedule was bizarre. Melnyk story blowing up and I am hearing CFL talk? Who cares? Talk about Melnyk, talk about the Dallas game, talk about the Minnesota game, talk about the afteroon Rangers/Flyers game. Talk hockey already! There is more than enough CFL coverage in the papers, can we get some hockey talk? And maybe some Premier League talk if they are displaced from their Monday because of hockey?
I know I don't usually defend the station, but covering the CFL is part of what they do. They broadcast RedBlack games and being that the local team was in the Grey Cup, wall to wall coverage is basically a no brainer. Now, extended coverage of "the sex question" isn't necessarily the type of coverage needed, but no need to get into that.

As for Premier league coverage, I am sure there is a bit of an appetite, but you gotta have hosts that know the topic, and I can inly assume that other than AJ, nobody that works for the station cares.

Now that the CFL season is over, they should get a day or two to dissect the Grey Cup game, then there is no reason for them not to dig their heels into the issues with the Ottawa Senators organization. I assume they won't, but they definitely should.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I hope Eric Macramalla does some work on this lawsuit and Melynk’s hilariously bad track record during litigations.

Likewise. I was actually trying to keep an eye out for his take on the whole thing. Should post here if he talks about it on his show.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So Erik Macramalla does his law show on tsn tonight and covers the A's new stadium bid, but says nothing about Lebreton.

Anyone still think TSN1200 is going to cover this story?

Reactions: branch

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
So Erik Macramalla does his law show on tsn tonight and covers the A's new stadium bid, but says nothing about Lebreton.

I can't see the TSN690 guys not asking him about it on Thursday when he makes his weekly appearance. It will be interesting to see what he says and shocking if it's not brought up.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

It was discussed a tad this morning, I was shocked. JR seemed to sound like he was fed up with the org's antics, while Warne, of course, had the pro-Melnyk stance, which is no surprise.

I am really curious to see what stance the media takes in this city once Ruddy's countersuit comes out. Will the take the side of the egomaniac that is doing everything in his power to burn this organization to the ground, or will they take the side of the local rich guy that cares about the city?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It was discussed a tad this morning, I was shocked. JR seemed to sound like he was fed up with the org's antics, while Warne, of course, had the pro-Melnyk stance, which is no surprise.

I am really curious to see what stance the media takes in this city once Ruddy's countersuit comes out. Will the take the side of the egomaniac that is doing everything in his power to burn this organization to the ground, or will they take the side of the local rich guy that cares about the city?
Hopefully they take the objective view as it’s their job.

As for TGOR this morning, they spent a long time on it. Any more would be too much for that show. You should be calling CFRA and demanding that Evan Solomon be talking about it more. It’s definitely a municipal news story that touches sport.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hopefully they take the objective view as it’s their job.

As for TGOR this morning, they spent a long time on it. Any more would be too much for that show. You should be calling CFRA and demanding that Evan Solomon be talking about it more. It’s definitely a municipal news story that touches sport.
I consider a full segment to be "a long time" by TGOR standards, part of a segment is only touching the topic. The segment where this was discussed also touched on the Pens/Avs game, JR's daughter's fandom, Warne's subtle Karlsson digs, THEN, they brought up Lebreton. This is absolutely a news story that touches sport, the same sport that is the bread and butter of that radio station. If Euge picks up and moves the team, then TSN1200 no longer exists. Also, if he does sell, fingers crossed, they will be all over the story.

No need to call Evan Solomon, I don't care about the business aspect, I want to know how this is affecting the hockey club and its roster. Last I checked, losing EK, Stone and Duchene because of an owner who has no money, is a sports story and the fact that he hoped to build an arena for free also transcends into sport.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016

I'm actually really surprised by this, what's the point of even having a show on the business and legal side of sports when you're not going to cover the by far the biggest legal related news in this city in years.

I looked at Eric's Twitter and there's no mention of Lebreton there either, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on with him and Lebreton.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm actually really surprised by this, what's the point of even having a show on the business and legal side of sports when you're not going to cover the by far the biggest legal related news in this city in years.

I looked at Eric's Twitter and there's no mention of Lebreton there either, so I'm not sure what exactly is going on with him and Lebreton.
Could he be involved with one of the legal teams?

Or perhaps the gag order at TSN1200 is a real thing.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Or perhaps the gag order at TSN1200 is a real thing.
The gag order is definitely for real. The only question is if it is self-imposed or if the organization demanded it. Would be interesting to know. I think it really is a combo of both.

Cue all the people coming in here with pitchforks saying "it isn't a sports story", "if you don't like TGOR, stop listening..."

otown

Sep 4, 2009
No need to call Evan Solomon, I don't care about the business aspect, I want to know how this is affecting the hockey club and its roster. Last I checked, losing EK, Stone and Duchene because of an owner who has no money, is a sports story and the fact that he hoped to build an arena for free also transcends into sport.

When politics enters the sports arena, it is no longer just a sports story.
The more"seasoned"journalists investigating the inner workings of this deal gone sideways the better!

Macramalla, whose popularity is based on providing legal opinion and detailed background on controversial issues should be all over this!

If local journalists and so called "insiders" don't take the reins, we will have to depend on the Toronto media to do the dirty work.......yet again!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If local journalists and so called "insiders" don't take the reins, we will have to depend on the Toronto media to do the dirty work.......yet again!
This is already happening.

Macramalla, whose popularity is based on providing legal opinion and detailed background on controversial issues should be all over this!
580 CFRA should also be ALL over this. This has also transcended into city politics and is the biggest news story in the city. I don't listen to CFRA all that often, but I am assuming that they are dodging this topic as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I know for a fact that Bruce Firestone has been on 1310 to discuss this already, has CFRA or TSN1200 had any guests to give their professional opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad