The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I am perfectly relaxed. Thanks for your concern.

They have been talking about it for days, not just today, maybe actually discuss the game that happens on the field.

I know I've mentioned this before but, you do realize the shows have different roles right? The morning show won't go into x's and o's like the other shows, it isn't their format.

Anyway, if there is anything that is over analyzed in sports, it's a championship football game. I wouldn't worry too much about hearing discussions about the game!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I know I've mentioned this before but, you do realize the shows have different roles right? The morning show won't go into x's and o's like the other shows, it isn't their format.

Anyway, if there is anything that is over analyzed in sports, it's a championship football game. I wouldn't worry too much about hearing discussions about the game!
Thanks for the tips. I understand what the purpose of each show is, , the "sex question" is quite a childish topic, I am sure there are plenty of other non Xs and Os discussions they could have about the game. Sure make a joke or two, but this is day 3 of the discussion, again, I am sure there are more interesting things to discuss.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for the tips. I understand what the purpose of each show is, , the "sex question" is quite a childish topic, I am sure there are plenty of other non Xs and Os discussions they could have about the game. Sure make a joke or two, but this is day 3 of the discussion, again, I am sure there are more interesting things to discuss.
The sex question was the lead story on TSN.ca.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Again, that isn't their role. They are there to keep it light and interview a few people per week. They will never go into any game breakdowns or any discussions more than a quick opinion on any topic.

The shows during the day are the ones that will do that.

The sex question may be childish to you, but they ask it every year. It's meant to be funny, obviously you don't find it is, it but plenty of people do.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The sex question was the lead story on TSN.ca.
Again, that isn't their role. They are there to keep it light and interview a few people per week. They will never go into any game breakdowns or any discussions more than a quick opinion on any topic.

The shows during the day are the ones that will do that.

The sex question may be childish to you, but they ask it every year. It's meant to be funny, obviously you don't find it is, it but plenty of people do.

Thanks boys! Agree to disagree!! Would love to have some sort of a case study done as to why "morning radio" is the way it is, its not entertaining on a sports radio show, nor is it entertaining on 89.9 for example, but like you said, I must be in the minority.

Also, Bardown lead story, is quite different from the "lead story", Bardown is specifically for the TGOR-type listeners.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Thanks boys! Agree to disagree!! Would love to have some sort of a case study done as to why "morning radio" is the way it is, its not entertaining on a sports radio show, nor is it entertaining on 89.9 for example, but like you said, I must be in the minority.

Also, Bardown lead story, is quite different from the "lead story", Bardown is specifically for the TGOR-type listeners.

Morning shows are the way they are, because it works. They would switch it up if it didn't.

You're definitely in a minority, I can't find the link now, but I know I've seen it before, the morning hot tub on 89.9 is by far the most listened to show in all of radio in Ottawa, second on the list was the Live 88.5 morning show. They both follow the same type of light, funny format as TGOR.

How do you listen to radio? With internet radio and podcasts, it's super easy to find exactly what you are looking for. There is no need to listen to TGOR if you hate everything about it, they won't change.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Morning shows are the way they are, because it works. They would switch it up if it didn't.

You're definitely in a minority, I can't find the link now, but I know I've seen it before, the morning hot tub on 89.9 is by far the most listened to show in all of radio in Ottawa, second on the list was the Live 88.5 morning show. They both follow the same type of light, funny format as TGOR.

How do you listen to radio? With internet radio and podcasts, it's super easy to find exactly what you are looking for. There is no need to listen to TGOR if you hate everything about it, they won't change.
Once again, I thank you so much for your advice. I listen to sports radio, I love sports, I love the Ottawa Senators. A radio station is quite capable of pulling of the "morning show vibe" while being informative. TGOR IS NOT. There is a major problem whn the local news morning show talks mor sport

I chose to post on a message board that is called "The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6". When someone chooses to post and complain on the "Guy Boucher" thread, no one really gets as butt hurt as people do in this radio thread when their fav morning show people are called out. The show is bad, plain and simple and I am not the only one to say so.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It was the tsn.ca lead this morning. Now there is another bit in Bardown. It was
“Sex and the Grey Cup. An oral history”

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Once again, I thank you so much for your advice. I listen to sports radio, I love sports, I love the Ottawa Senators. A radio station is quite capable of pulling of the "morning show vibe" while being informative. TGOR IS NOT. There is a major problem whn the local news morning show talks mor sport

I chose to post on a message board that is called "The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6". When someone chooses to post and complain on the "Guy Boucher" thread, no one really gets as butt hurt as people do in this radio thread when their fav morning show people are called out. The show is bad, plain and simple and I am not the only one to say so.

Yeah when they post the same complaints over and over again, they usually get called out.

I never said TGOR was my favorite morning show, you're putting words in my mouth.

I'm not sure how you can say the local news talks more sport? They literally touch upon every major sports story of the day, they just don't dive into them and break it down. The reason you always get called out here is you exaggerate when you don't need to. You constantly only hear what you want to hear.

Can TGOR be better? Probably. Are they anywhere close to as bad as you make them out to be? No. You're right when you say that you're not the only one who doesn't like it, but it seems the others that don't like it, don't subject themselves to listen to it every day.

I've just never seen someone who claims to hate a show so much, listen to it so religiously. I'm pretty sure you have complained about every single aspect of TGOR at some point here throughout the years.

It's literally groundhog day every time I reply to these comments. I've spent way too much time defending a subject, I really don't care that much about.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The "heads up" commercials are so far beyond irritating that I've completely sub-consciously and consciously tuned off whatever they are advertising. I can honestly tell you that for the past week I can't tell you what they are selling I'm so turned off by that voice!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Come on man, you know you won't get an answer on here. What's the point of making Ian look like a bad guy.

My point was not to make Ian look like anything, I always enjoy his coverage, but I am hoping TSN is taking steps in reaching out to NHL to get some real answers. And hopefully Ian, who is a member and reads the forum, can clarify - whether here, in radio, or in social media. We will know soon enough.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Come on man, you know you won't get an answer on here. What's the point of making Ian look like a bad guy.

He's not making Ian look like a bad guy, it's literally his job to at least reach out to the NHL for comment. Doesn't mean he'll get an answer (I wouldn't expect Bettman/Daly to make comments to a local radio station, or at all, but that's besides the point).

Seem like the easiest slam dunk in the world for Ian to come in here and say he's reached out and then posters around here to give him kudos for being the only talking head at the station taking his job seriously.

Reactions: Sensung

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Bettman's not going to say anything about a matter that is before the courts. They can ask, but they would be wasting their time. Their efforts are better off trying to find sources inside the city, NCC and Trinity to get the dirt on what has transpired between the two parties.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Bettman's not going to say anything about a matter that is before the courts. They can ask, but they would be wasting their time. Their efforts are better off trying to find sources inside the city, NCC and Trinity to get the dirt on what has transpired between the two parties.

It's not the juicy gossip of what transpired between the two that I am interested in as a fan. Lots of articles/news on those. Wondering what NHL's stance is in this mess, when Bettman seemingly said during the bidding process that Lebreton is a key part of this franchise's future success. In essence, what now? You have a broke owner who has broken relationships with the fans, the community, the city, and now, his partner at RLG in losing the chance of a lifetime wrt Lebreton development and the Sens playing there. Are there any bridges that Melnyk hasn't burnt? They are playing in an empty arena that they were trying to move away from (and now that option is essentially dead).

So what now Mr. Bettman? What is the future of this franchise and its ownership?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
It's not the juicy gossip of what transpired between the two that I am interested in as a fan. Lots of articles/news on those. Wondering what NHL's stance is in this mess, when Bettman seemingly said during the bidding process that Lebreton is a key part of this franchise's future success. In essence, what now? You have a broke owner who has broken relationships with the fans, the community, the city, and now, his partner at RLG in losing the chance of a lifetime wrt Lebreton development and the Sens playing there. Are there any bridges that Melnyk hasn't burnt? They are playing in an empty arena that they were trying to move away from (and now that option is essentially dead).

So what now Mr. Bettman? What is the future of this franchise and its ownership?

We'd all like to know that. Bettman would never say anything on the record while Melnyk owns the team though. At best you might have some sources say if there have been any internal discussions at the league level about what's happening in Ottawa. That would be coming from someone who is plugged in at a higher level; like a Bob McKenzie or Lebrun. The TSN1200 guys are not likely to ever come up with that stuff on their own.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hope the sports reporters in this city get the feel the fans have of ownership and their protective habit towards the franchise and the hope and pride they feel trying to get rid of Poo-Jeans

Ultimately Melnyck will fail at NHL ownership because of his own shortcomings, but the fans have been vocal about the owner having no dignity and not reflecting any values of the community and some of the fanbase has been pushing this for many years and have seen the vast majority of Sens nation come on board and wish for new ownership. Some saw it early, others later, it were all here now in agreement and that’s what it’s about

Ive seen some comments from some of our reporters and Sens Insiders saying ‘this thing is to complicated for me’ or ‘very conplex and over the head of the avaerage fan.’ Enough of this. We get talked to bu Brennan about his horny boy habits and one general sports chat is at a base level. But now I think the time should be to engage the fans, recognize they’ve been on this for years if not a decade, they understand the development (we did go through lebreton after all) and the financing, politics and relationships are right in our wheeel house. Just don’t want to see the reporters thinking we don’t want the details and their listeners are to dumb to digest this.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hope the sports reporters in this city get the feel the fans have of ownership and their protective habit towards the franchise and the hope and pride they feel trying to get rid of Poo-Jeans

Ultimately Melnyck will fail at NHL ownership because of his own shortcomings, but the fans have been vocal about the owner having no dignity and not reflecting any values of the community and some of the fanbase has been pushing this for many years and have seen the vast majority of Sens nation come on board and wish for new ownership. Some saw it early, others later, it were all here now in agreement and that’s what it’s about

Ive seen some comments from some of our reporters and Sens Insiders saying ‘this thing is to complicated for me’ or ‘very conplex and over the head of the avaerage fan.’ Enough of this. We get talked to bu Brennan about his horny boy habits and one general sports chat is at a base level. But now I think the time should be to engage the fans, recognize they’ve been on this for years if not a decade, they understand the development (we did go through lebreton after all) and the financing, politics and relationships are right in our wheeel house. Just don’t want to see the reporters thinking we don’t want the details and their listeners are to dumb to digest this.
The local media that covers this team has failed the fanbase. Its so bizarre guys like Versage and Garrioch continue to blame everything but Melnyk while the rest of the local sports media just ignores the massive amount of black smoke surrounding this org. Its really too bad that the most insight we get is from reporters from outside the city.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The local media that covers this team has failed the fanbase. Its so bizarre guys like Versage and Garrioch continue to blame everything but Melnyk while the rest of the local sports media just ignores the massive amount of black smoke surrounding this org. Its really too bad that the most insight we get is from reporters from outside the city.
It’s a business story not a sports story. The local sports media should talk loosely about it put they need to tread lightly.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Man I love listening to the weekend but also in the afternoon the fan 590 plays on 1310 am and it's just a good show. You hear leafs and Raps talk but all around it's good.
Sportsnet Today

With Roger Lajoie & Rob Wong 1-3 pm I think.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It’s a business story not a sports story. The local sports media should talk loosely about it put they need to tread lightly.
If thats the case then Garrioch and Versage should just keep their traps shut then. Pro Melnyk talk is the same as anti Melnyk talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->