The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So this excerpt from the article I linked is wrong?

In a press conference Friday, Flynn told reporters that Lee was staying at the Westin Hotel, which offered a shuttle service to and from NHL functions for team personnel. At about 10:30 a.m. Flynn said, a 19-year-old male shuttle driver was dispatched to pick Lee up and return him to the hotel.,

Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Uh oh. Looks like a certain copy editor is about to get a strongly worded e-mail from our resident vampiric boomer!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Thanks, that makes more sense now.

What a time to be a Sens fan. Won’t be wearing any Sens gear outside of Ottawa, don’t want to answering question on our pervert Managers, psychotic owner, overly emotional GM or why we want to make it uncomfortable and get rid of the franchises best ever player.

I wonder how the season ticket base is doing now?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Last I heard, it's almost as bad as the year we declared bankruptcy, which is the all-time low for the org.

Basically, the second worst offseason for STH sales in franchise history.

Although, this has to be the worst season AND off season all around in franchise history with all these crazy things happening. The sadder part, because there is one, is that it’s only June 1st.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Although, this has to be the worst season AND off season all around in franchise history with all these crazy things happening. The sadder part, because there is one, is that it’s only June 1st.

I still say the Heatley summer was the worst, so much immaturity, a failed trade, just a full on gong show. The start f what was the demise of a once proud franchise.

But like you said, EK, ownership, lots of things can happen here to make this just an unbelievable bad - or if the team is bought and we re-up EK and bring Alfie back, best summer ever.

TSN1200 will be there for all the coverage

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I still say the Heatley summer was the worst, so much immaturity, a failed trade, just a full on gong show. The start f what was the demise of a once proud franchise.

But like you said, EK, ownership, lots of things can happen here to make this just an unbelievable bad - or if the team is bought and we re-up EK and bring Alfie back, best summer ever.

TSN1200 will be there for all the coverage

I hope it turns around honestly. I thought of the Heater year too... as bad as it was, I don’t know. This is just one bad thing after another. It makes it difficult to remain optimistic. If Le Cirque rumour is true, that would compensate for many things.

TSN will be there for... selective coverage perhaps? lol... or we can start following Mike Smith’s Twitter account.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Last I heard, it's almost as bad as the year we declared bankruptcy, which is the all-time low for the org.

Basically, the second worst offseason for STH sales in franchise history.

One would imagine with the EK freebie giveaway pending and the fresh harassment charges this one could come down to the wire.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
$100 bet they talk about Alfie’s comments today and 95% of the filler is talking about the state of social media and spreading messages in the modern world (so actually saying nothing 95% of the time) 2.5% on what type of person Dianel Alfredsson is and his history of things he’s said in Ottawa and then 2.5% on the actual state of ownership.

The Ottawa sports media isn’t going to touch this, they are afraid of Melnycks shallow venom

Turned on TSN1200 twice today and both times caught JR and Lloyd discusses the "Twitter cesspool" and how Randy Lee deserves the benefit of the doubt, "but that stupid Twitter machine"...Lloyd actually got very angry, it was quite comical. I think defending Lee is the wrong approach. The better approach would be to just discuss the basic facts and avoid giving an opinion all together for now, being as they are not allowed to be critical of management.

Funny thing about this "Twitter cesspool" is that Lloyd got himself all worked up because he tweeted information about the case and he was livid at the replies he got, mostly because everyone wants Lee fired, and justifiably so. Of course he blamed trolls and Twitter...

Man, and these guys have kids. I would be adamant that Randy Lee stays away from the team until due process is served, not playing the "innocent until proven guilty" card. No excuses or exceptions as to why he should still be with the team.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
. The better approach would be to just discuss the basic facts and avoid giving an opinion all together for now, being as they are not allowed to be critical of management.

Man, and these guys have kids. I would be adamant that Randy Lee stays away from the team until due process is served, not playing the "innocent until proven guilty" card. No excuses or exceptions as to why he should still be with the team.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/senators-exec-pleads-not-guilty-to-harassment-allegation-060418

So as far as I'm concerned, we've only heard one side of the story, from the 19 year old, AKA Adult, driver, so I would not consider that to be "the basic facts", until we hear the other side of the story.

Don't know why you bring up "kids" as no kids were involved in the reported incident.

Don't know why you interpret Lloyd discussing how Randy Lee deserves the benefit of the doubt, as defending him ...... he's defending the rule of law, as it would apply to anyone.

It sounds as if you've already made up your mind as whether RL is guilty or not guilty ........ and have already passed judgment, well before all the facts have been brought forward.

I for one will wait for due process, and will accept the findings of the court.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/senators-exec-pleads-not-guilty-to-harassment-allegation-060418

So as far as I'm concerned, we've only heard one side of the story, from the 19 year old, AKA Adult, driver, so I would not consider that to be "the basic facts", until we hear the other side of the story.

Don't know why you bring up "kids" as no kids were involved in the reported incident.

Don't know why you interpret Lloyd discussing how Randy Lee deserves the benefit of the doubt, as defending him ...... he's defending the rule of law, as it would apply to anyone.

It sounds as if you've already made up your mind as whether RL is guilty or not guilty ........ and have already passed judgment, well before all the facts have been brought forward.

I for one will wait for due process, and will accept the findings of the court.

So, you are saying that harassing a 19 year old is acceptable because he is a man and not a kid, which is true to a certain extent, until you realize that part of his job is to interact and work with 19-year old men. This isn't anything huge, but really, why would anyone defend what he did? Why even put yourself out there on the record saying that "he is a good man"? Just say it as it is, its disgusting and embarrassing for the organization, plain and simple. We will never get details, nor will we ever know what really happened. Lee will pay his fine and unless there is a change in ownership, Lee will remain employed and the usual suspects will continue to defend every action made by this organization.

Am I wrong? Can someone convince me otherwise? How should the local radio/newspaper guys be handling this? Getting angry at people for suggesting that he should no longer be employed by the organization is probably the wrong approach. Another instance where the station has solely misread the fanbase.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The thing about the Randy Lee episode is the team is just such a gong show I don’t think fans really have any tolerance for any bad or embarrassing news from anyone associated with the team.

The trust between the fansbase and management is at an all time Low and as a fan I know I don’t have the stomach for any of this. It’s like when your fed up with your kids and even if they aren’t being bad and they just talk and you exclaim ‘I said no-talking’ - you just can’t deal and need a break.

Randy Lee has built a solid reputation for himself within his community but I for one am just not in the mood for any more bad news, especially something so lewd and creepy as this. Awk.

Reactions: Deku

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So, you are saying that harassing a 19 year old is acceptable because he is a man and not a kid, which is true to a certain extent, until you realize that part of his job is to interact and work with 19-year old men. This isn't anything huge, but really, why would anyone defend what he did? Why even put yourself out there on the record saying that "he is a good man"? Just say it as it is, its disgusting and embarrassing for the organization, plain and simple. We will never get details, nor will we ever know what really happened. Lee will pay his fine and unless there is a change in ownership, Lee will remain employed and the usual suspects will continue to defend every action made by this organization.

Am I wrong? Can someone convince me otherwise? How should the local radio/newspaper guys be handling this? Getting angry at people for suggesting that he should no longer be employed by the organization is probably the wrong approach. Another instance where the station has solely misread the fanbase.
The problem I have with your position is the assumption of guilt and that he should be fired. Pretending we have all the facts and can pass judgment at this time is irresponsible in my opinion.

Note that I'm not saying I condone the way the Sens have handled the situation at all.
Lee should be suspended with pay, pending the outcome. The team should simply have stated that they hold their employees to the highest standards and that until the facts of the case are determined that Lee will be not performing his duties.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

That's clearly not what he is saying...

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The problem I have with your position is the assumption of guilt and that he should be fired. Pretending we have all the facts and can pass judgment at this time is irresponsible in my opinion.

Note that I'm not saying I condone the way the Sens have handled the situation at all.
Lee should be suspended with pay, pending the outcome. The team should simply have stated that they hold their employees to the highest standards and that until the facts of the case are determined that Lee will be not performing his duties.

This is what I said earlier:

I would be adamant that Randy Lee stays away from the team until due process is served, not playing the "innocent until proven guilty" card. No excuses or exceptions as to why he should still be with the team.

I agree with what you said, just didn't word it correctly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I don't really get the idea of suspending him with pay. Are there not aspects of his job he can continue to do that don't involve direct interaction with prospects? I mean, I'd condone keeping him away from interaction with prospects and such, but I imagine he could continue to do a number of his funtions as AGM while this goes on, or at least until some extra info is uncovered.

Anyways, the media not pulling out the pitchforks at this stage makes sense to me. I haven't listened to much of TSN1200 on the subject, but at this point, all you can really do is identify the allegations, talk about why they could be very serious and the implications they could have, while at the same time not over reaching, because they are after just allegations at this time, and wait for more details to come out.

Reactions: pzeeman

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's clearly not what he is saying...

At the same time, I think it's clear that when people say "kid", they don't mean minor, they lump in young adults who are of an age that they could very well still be living with their parents and attending school/college.

I really don't see the need to nitpick (on either side) about the semantics of the person's age. Call him a kid, a young adult, a humanoid whom has reached the age of majority, and can even rent a car in the state of NY, however may legally be charged an age related surcharge, I really don't care, we all know he's 19 and we all know why that is relevant to Lee and his role.

Reactions: Chezzz

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

No one is saying harassment is okay, that is why he was charged with harassment.

All I'm saying, is that up until now, we've heard one side of the story ...... and for you that's enough, and you've condemned RL.

The 19 year old adult, is in the eye of the law, an adult ......... not to a certain extent......100% an adult.

No one is defending what RL is accused of doing, and when he's had his day in court, and when a penalty is given, he will have received what the NY legal system decides.

Why you must rush to judgment, well before all sides of the story has been revealed in a court of law is reckless and unwarranted.

You claim that TSN1200 has "misread the fan-base" in unsubstantiated, as you seem to be under the impression that your POV on this issue, is shared with a majority of the fan base.

I suggest that most people would want anyone charged with harassment, to receive their day in court before condemning them like you are.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Regardless of court outcome his image and reputation are toast. Clearly something unprofessional happened in that van. In grand scheme it might turn out to be relatively minor transgression (hope that is the case as he is a good man ) but he should of been let go hours after the allegations came to light. No team needs this...especially this team. Get in the damn van and bury yourself in your device . Get out and go to bed. Simple. Act like an f-in pro and not some jackass frat kid on a weekend roady .

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Regardless of court outcome his image and reputation are toast. Clearly something unprofessional happened in that van. In grand scheme it might turn out to be relatively minor transgression (hope that is the case as he is a good man ) but he should of been let go hours after the allegations came to light. No team needs this...especially this team. Get in the damn van and bury yourself in your device . Get out and go to bed. Simple. Act like an f-in pro and not some jackass frat kid on a weekend roady .

lol why? Does it really make a difference whether the Sens let him go immediately after it happened or a few weeks after? It's not like the team is playing right now and the draft/free-agency is still like three weeks away. Plus, it wouldn't be right to fire an employee whose been with the organization for more than 20 years without getting his side of the story. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure this ends with Randy Lee getting shitcanned like 99% of the time. I just don't take issue with the Sens taking a few days to get the facts straight. He deserves the opportunity to make his case imo, even if said case is unlikely to save his job.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Nope strongly disagree.

I've seen some pretty crazy things make it to court that fell apart under more rigorous review.

Firing people based off allegations is a very bad precedent.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nope strongly disagree.

I've seen some pretty crazy things make it to court that fell apart under more rigorous review.

Firing people based off allegations is a very bad precedent.

Randy Lee has 23 years of service with Ottawa which should mean something in this case, but with the zero lack of leadership in the front office you just want to see someone accept responsibility and protect ththe club.

Melnyck has run this brand though thand mud spwith such arrogance and smite that I think Sens fans don't recognize this once proud club. Fans just want to see an assumed sense of Respect and responsibility from the club. This is the team of Mike Fisher and Chris Phillips?

Should that burden fall on Randy Lee, probably not. But at some point you just throw your hands up and say 'enough is enough, I'm sick of this BS, Im not even asking to be part of something I can be proud of, just don't make me ashamed to be a Sens fan' --- I think a lot of fans are at this point and there are literal signs in ththe city that point to this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->