The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
FYI, Simmer is currently on TSN690 discussing the Alfredsson and Watson situation if people are interested in listening to the interview.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
FYI, Simmer is currently on TSN690 discussing the Alfredsson and Watson situation if people are interested in listening to the interview.

Pretty sure Mendes tweeted out that he was on TSN Vancouver this morning as well. Sometimes the content we get from these guys on other stations is better than we get on their own station.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Anybody have some highlights to his comments for those of us unable to tune in?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Anybody have some highlights to his comments for those of us unable to tune in?

It's probably on their website but there was nothing really earth shattering. From memory, basically just that it was a surprise to no one that Alfie wasn't a fan, Melnyk's lack of spending in the front office is hurting the team and a lot of people out there want to new owner. He has no idea what's going to happen though regarding ownership and if this is all just wishful thinking. When Alfie was inducted into the IIHF Hall of Fame he said that Karlsson would like to stay in Ottawa but part of it is 'out of his hands'.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Care to name some examples of critical stories they haven’t covered?
Jays imploding, I'm always asking for more Jays coverage. I mean why not, we are right in between CFL and NHL.

Damn I love TSN Weekend though. I flip it on in the kitchen and just leave it going. They are talking CHL, the draft, NBA, horse racing... Even though they may not be my "favourite" cast of characters, it just works. Three dudes talking sports, bringing different perspectives and experiences to the table, and because they all have decent to good knowledge, good conversation is had.

I often gripe that a lot of hosts on 1200 clearly didn't even watch an event before discussing it. But on the weekend, none of that bull shit "oh it was late I didn't watch it" stuff. These guys are on the ball.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Jays imploding, I'm always asking for more Jays coverage. I mean why not, we are right in between CFL and NHL.

Damn I love TSN Weekend though. I flip it on in the kitchen and just leave it going. They are talking CHL, the draft, NBA, horse racing... Even though they may not be my "favourite" cast of characters, it just works. Three dudes talking sports, bringing different perspectives and experiences to the table, and because they all have decent to good knowledge, good conversation is had.

I often gripe that a lot of hosts on 1200 clearly didn't even watch an event before discussing it. But on the weekend, none of that bull **** "oh it was late I didn't watch it" stuff. These guys are on the ball.
Love the NBA talk and 3 in the Key.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I often gripe that a lot of hosts on 1200 clearly didn't even watch an event before discussing it. But on the weekend, none of that bull **** "oh it was late I didn't watch it" stuff. These guys are on the ball.

Gotta admit, the few times I have listened, I do enjoy the weekend show too, as long as Versage isn't trying to be the center of attention. I really like Creech and Bunda, their opinions are so refreshing because they bring a opinion so different than the rest of the "old boys club" from the station. They also actually prepare for their shows in other ways than just browsing through their Twitter feeds.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Gotta admit, the few times I have listened, I do enjoy the weekend show too, as long as Versage isn't trying to be the center of attention. I really like Creech and Bunda, their opinions are so refreshing because they bring a opinion so different than the rest of the "old boys club" from the station. They also actually prepare for their shows in other ways than just browsing through their Twitter feeds.
Just the fact that there is no schtick to play up, no dumb contests or filler segments, they take callers if they bring something to the table.. it makes for good listenable radio over a lengthy block of time.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/tgor-hour-1-1.1098567

Steve has some unexpected renos, JR looks for his dog, Hammer's kids join Eagles football, will Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final be boring, Sixers GM Bryan Colangelo caught with burner twitter accounts and the Redblacks.

someone who is good at sports radio please help me with this. my station is dying.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/tgor-hour-1-1.1098567

someone who is good at sports radio please help me with this. my station is dying.

When did they start doing this?? This is hilarious but very very sad at the same time.

Check out yesterday:

JR turns on his AC, the Bachelorette, fun Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, NHL draft could have an interesting start, Warriors and Cavaliers meet in the NBA Final for the 4th straight year and more bad news for the Jays and Josh Donaldson.

Here is another gem from Whitey and Lloyd:

Steve and Todd discuss 24, in depth, very in depth and they make a bet revolving around 24. As they move into the sports world, they talk about the NHL Draft Combine, the Stanley Cup Final and the very repetitive NBA Finals

They should be embarrassed to post these things on the TSN website. TSN should be equally embarrassed to even have these things on their website.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Care to name some examples of critical stories they haven’t covered?

Apologies. Just saw this.

Off my head, they were very reluctant to discuss the Melnyk out campaign until basically Ian dragged the station kicking and screaming to it. The failure to question ownership and management as to the Karlsson rumors, the Turris situation and his wife responding to it. That's just this year. They will mention the topic once and just move on from it like nothing happened, nothing in depth, and when they do it's never the organization's fault. They couldn't even defend themselves when Dorion basically called their industry and colleague fake news. Also see the Alfie news this week.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Apologies. Just saw this.

Off my head, they were very reluctant to discuss the Melnyk out campaign until basically Ian dragged the station kicking and screaming to it. The failure to question ownership and management as to the Karlsson rumors, the Turris situation and his wife responding to it. That's just this year. They will mention the topic once and just move on from it like nothing happened, nothing in depth, and when they do it's never the organization's fault. They couldn't even defend themselves when Dorion basically called their industry and colleague fake news. Also see the Alfie news this week.

I’m not sure whether they addressed those issues or not, as I don’t listen all the time. It’s possible they have touched on some of these things when you weren’t listening. They actually spent a good deal of time talking about the Alfie thing the other day, so they didn’t completely ignore it.

I get what you’re saying though. They very rarely criticize the organization. Maybe that’s to keep a good relationship going, I don’t know.

I think if I had a complaint about the station it’s that sometimes they get off topic and stay off topic for too long. I love a good pop culture reference as much as the next person, so if they make a saved by the bell reference, that’s all good, but don’t spend the next five to ten minutes on that subject. Im just using that as an example. Not saying I’ve heard a ten minute saved by the bell convo on there. That wouldn’t be awful actually.

I’m trying to remember now, but there was one time they were talking about something completely off topic and they asked everyone their opinion on it. It went on for like ten minutes. That’s where you lose listeners. People turn off their radio if you go five minutes or more without talking sports on a sports station. I get each host has four hours to fill everyday, but sometimes it can be annoying when it seems like they’d rather talk about where to get your car fixed then sports issues. Touch on it briefly, then move on.

Having said that, I think they do a good job overall.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

I'm not sure if I would use the word 'dying'; TGOR has literally been this way for years (decades?). I stopped listening during the Jim Jerome years, which has to be well over ten years now? Every revisit and comment on this thread has shown that nothing has changed, except that it is no longer always 'three guys'.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
TSN1200 host rightly says about Randy’s Lee ‘you have to be so careful with these incidents until the facts are in’

Cut to commercial break

They come back and the other meathead says ‘I just checked a website, the bar opens at 11am, this doesn’t add up’

This is a teenager accusing an adult and an executive of assault and being a pervert. Shut your Mouth you meathead, you know nothing.

And the hosts wonder why we accuse them of homerism. What’s worse then this? Sure I understand these radio guys and Ottawa execs are friends or friendly, don’t take sides or cast doubt like that when you literally have no idea what is going on and the accusations are serious and before the courts

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
TSN1200 host rightly says about Randy’s Lee ‘you have to be so careful with these incidents until the facts are in’

Cut to commercial break

They come back and the other meathead says ‘I just checked a website, the bar opens at 11am, this doesn’t add up’

This is a teenager accusing an adult and an executive of assault and being a pervert. Shut your Mouth you meathead, you know nothing.

And the hosts wonder why we accuse them of homerism. What’s worse then this? Sure I understand these radio guys and Ottawa execs are friends or friendly, don’t take sides or cast doubt like that when you literally have no idea what is going on and the accusations are serious and before the courts

Had to have been Lloyd. Imagine if it was Warne and JR hosted when the news broke. They would have just completely ignored it as if nothing happened.

This is a pretty new low for the station. Not a real good look on ya defending a guy who is tasked with working with our young players on a daily basis.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The DA went out of his way to say PM, apparently, to correct any loose journalism regarding the story.

So this excerpt from the article I linked is wrong?

In a press conference Friday, Flynn told reporters that Lee was staying at the Westin Hotel, which offered a shuttle service to and from NHL functions for team personnel. At about 10:30 a.m. Flynn said, a 19-year-old male shuttle driver was dispatched to pick Lee up and return him to the hotel.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad