The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Re: [Warne + Simmer] and [JR + Brennan] last week, and I'll actually say that JR and Donny was passable on TGOR (as much as Don is a dink), but Warne and Simmer is basically unlistenable. I just hate Warne in the host chair. It sounds so forced when he has that role.

He has his shortcomings, but I think JR can actually carry a show, that's why he can work with anyone on the station. He is very good a prompting his co-host.
He sounds like a 1920's carnie.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
First Ultimate Frisbee tickets and now a pile of dirt. TSN1200 really lining up the sponsors for the 60 second shootout. Maybe its time to pull the plug on the contest.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
First Ultimate Frisbee tickets and now a pile of dirt. TSN1200 really lining up the sponsors for the 60 second shootout. Maybe its time to pull the plug on the contest.
Never. It's my shower entertainment.

Who cares what the prizes are. I don't call in anyway, it's irrelevant to me.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

I don't get your disdain for this? You mention every few weeks that they should get rid of it.

It's a 5 minute segment of general sports trivia. Don't really see why it needs to removed, would that not just add more banter time for JR and Warne, which you seem to loathe?

Who cares what the prizes are? They are usually good, for what you need to do.

I can tell you my wife would really appreciate that pile of dirt, we just spent quite a bit on it and would of been nice to get it for free.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don't get your disdain for this? You mention every few weeks that they should get rid of it.

It's a 5 minute segment of general sports trivia. Don't really see why it needs to removed, would that not just add more banter time for JR and Warne, which you seem to loathe?

Who cares what the prizes are? They are usually good, for what you need to do.

I can tell you my wife would really appreciate that pile of dirt, we just spent quite a bit on it and would of been nice to get it for free.

Back in the day there was a weekly grand prize. Twice I won a round trip Via train trip. Once to Montreal and one to Toronto with a free hotel looped in and tickets to a hockey game. Now, we get dirt. That's all I am saying.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Back in the day there was a weekly grand prize. Twice I won a round trip Via train trip. Once to Montreal and one to Toronto with a free hotel looped in and tickets to a hockey game. Now, we get dirt. That's all I am saying.

Ok fair enough.

Although for 5 minutes of time, that's a pretty sweet prize to get. I wouldn't expect that to be the norm, but maybe it was.

I'm ok with them dialing back the prizes a bit, if it means they can give a prize everyday. Like I said, usually the prizes are pretty good for 5 minutes of time.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ok fair enough.

Although for 5 minutes of time, that's a pretty sweet prize to get. I wouldn't expect that to be the norm, but maybe it was.

I'm ok with them dialing back the prizes a bit, if it means they can give a prize everyday. Like I said, usually the prizes are pretty good for 5 minutes of time.

They had a daily prize and a weekly prize. They also actually didn't provide layup questions and it was challenging. Daily prizes were usually a package of things. I won an LCBO prize pack and 4 Sens tickets as a daily prize, then was entered in a draw for the weekly prize.

I am thinking that since they do more than enough advertising for it a "MyPillow" would be a perfect prize.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
They had a daily prize and a weekly prize. They also actually didn't provide layup questions and it was challenging. Daily prizes were usually a package of things. I won an LCBO prize pack and 4 Sens tickets as a daily prize, then was entered in a draw for the weekly prize.

I am thinking that since they do more than enough advertising for it a "MyPillow" would be a perfect prize.

Yes! MyPillow would be good. haha.

I think they just spread it out better. They also give out a prize every day now (I'm not a fan of how they do the 3 caller thing) but on the whole, I still like to tune in everyday specifically just to play along. It's fun and regardless of prizes, I think it's one of the really good things they do on TGOR, so I wouldn't want to remove it at all.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yes! MyPillow would be good. haha.

I think they just spread it out better. They also give out a prize every day now (I'm not a fan of how they do the 3 caller thing) but on the whole, I still like to tune in everyday specifically just to play along. It's fun and regardless of prizes, I think it's one of the really good things they do on TGOR, so I wouldn't want to remove it at all.

Love the morning trivia segment personally, wish it was a bit tougher like back in the day... the themed sports segments where they get e-mailers to send their suggestions in (example: Hybrid 80's rock band and NHL names combined) has my changing that dial so very quickly

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ok fair enough.

Didn't they give away seasons tickets to every pro league in Ottawa recently?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah they did, the "100 nights of tickets" contest. Although I think that was outside of the 61 second shootout, it was a contest on its own.

Seems that giant prize might take up some of their total prize allowance. However it works. Numbers of tickets comped by the franchises and sponsors, whatever budget they have to actually buy things.

I dunno. People complaining about the quality of free shit they can just seems odd to me.

It's free. I'd happily take a prize of a box of garbage bags, toilet paper and I dunno, dehydrated mango sliced if it were free

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
$100 bet they talk about Alfie’s comments today and 95% of the filler is talking about the state of social media and spreading messages in the modern world (so actually saying nothing 95% of the time) 2.5% on what type of person Dianel Alfredsson is and his history of things he’s said in Ottawa and then 2.5% on the actual state of ownership.

The Ottawa sports media isn’t going to touch this, they are afraid of Melnycks shallow venom

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
$100 bet they talk about Alfie’s comments today and 95% of the filler is talking about the state of social media and spreading messages in the modern world (so actually saying nothing 95% of the time) 2.5% on what type of person Dianel Alfredsson is and his history of things he’s said in Ottawa and then 2.5% on the actual state of ownership.

The Ottawa sports media isn’t going to touch this, they are afraid of Melnycks shallow venom

This is reflected already by in The Box segments. They asked Gord Wilson one question about it and they spent a total of 30 seconds on the subject.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Glad the drive is digging in depth into the spin class Versage took with his aunt as well as the US civil war. Definitely not much to talk about in regards to the Sens.

Thankfully these guys give us as fans everything we want :sarcasm: So happy that we have quality sports radio in the city I live in.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No but Gordie is going for surgery today. What a gas!!!!

What a trash station

They did talk about the Alfie thing on the drive today.

For the most part, I don’t expect much Sens talk right now, because there just isn’t much going on at the moment. Also it’s a sports station, not a all Sens all the time station.

Problem is I think a lot of people in this city only care about the Sens, and that’s fine and all, but those people seem to get upset when they talk about non hockey issues on the radio. Yeah, again, it’s a sports station guys. Deal with it.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The problem isn't that they are a sports station and talk about other sports, the problem is that they avoid the critical stories around the Sens that make the owner and the organization look weak.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The problem isn't that they are a sports station and talk about other sports, the problem is that they avoid the critical stories around the Sens that make the owner and the organization look weak.

Care to name some examples of critical stories they haven’t covered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->