The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhockeyfan

Apr 4, 2008
From my TSN.ca article a few weeks ago:

Some blamed ownership, claiming the club was unwilling to pour the necessary resources into the building a championship-calibre team. Many fans simply lamented the general direction of the organization, feeling like they were simply toiling somewhere between average and mediocre.

The link to the entire article can be found here: http://www.tsn.ca/there-s-no-playoff-fever-in-ottawa-only-sens-malaise-1.737420

So stop with the narrative that I've never mentioned ownership as a factor. There it is -- listed directly among the reasons for why some people are staying away. I don't understand why people are allowed to make up stuff on this thread and it passes for fact.

I also find it interesting that you like the Deadspin article, which was written by Barry who lives in the U.S. Funny, when someone writes a column you agree with, it suddenly doesn't matter where they come from. But when someone has an opinion that doesn't mesh with yours, he's a blowhard from the United States who doesn't know our market.

Ian, I thought your piece on the attendance issue was by far the most objective and knowledgeable one so far. I find many fans don't want to touch on the uncomfortable aspects of the issue, and they definitely have to be considered to give a full picture.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Can you not grasp their passion for their team? they filled the arena on away games. They always support their team. Which is why they cannot fathom how we can't fill our place at this stage in the playoffs.

Oh right, but that makes them look stupid for doing so I guess. Like Toronto, supporting their team in bad years makes for dumb fans. I call them passionate. Everyone here wants to punish the Senators organization for not winning, a lot of good that does right? Like Chiarelli feels EXTRA pressure because they can't sell tickets? These teams, they all want and need to win. All these years, you think for the fact that Toronto was sold out that the team actively tries not to win??? Their tickets sales is just a morsel of the revenue monster that the Toronto Maple Leafs are.

But leave it to his "smart" fanbase that punish the players diving in front of shots because Melnyk this, Melnyk that. **** and support your team. Not you per say, but in general!

We have as passionate a fanbase as others. The amount of passionate fans however is not as high as other Canadian cities.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Wow! Bang-on!! Ian has been the main promoter of the SENS' attendance issues from Day 1 including a page 1 article on TSN's website and never once has mentioned the "Melnyk" factor, so I think the answer is fairly obvious.

An objective article in Deadspin today regarding our so-called attendance issues. Ian should read it.

http://deadspin.com/shut-up-about-ottawas-attendance-1795506802

It was a tired, stupid lazy article. Just feeds all the ******** fans who need more validation of being a lousy fan

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We have as passionate a fanbase as others. The amount of passionate fans however is not as high as other Canadian cities.

I hear what you are saying, but I honestly don't agree . I think that there are the numbers here. Certainly adequate enough to support this team as it deserves. I guess we will see if the Sens win tonight.

Either way, the season ticket base HAS to be improved for next year. I know for a fact that people are singing up for next year. They are getting playoff tickets at the regular season rate to do so.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Can you not grasp their passion for their team? they filled the arena on away games. They always support their team. Which is why they cannot fathom how we can't fill our place at this stage in the playoffs.

Oh right, but that makes them look stupid for doing so I guess. Like Toronto, supporting their team in bad years makes for dumb fans. I call them passionate. Everyone here wants to punish the Senators organization for not winning, a lot of good that does right? Like Chiarelli feels EXTRA pressure because they can't sell tickets? These teams, they all want and need to win. All these years, you think for the fact that Toronto was sold out that the team actively tries not to win??? Their tickets sales is just a morsel of the revenue monster that the Toronto Maple Leafs are.

But leave it to his "smart" fanbase that punish the players diving in front of shots because Melnyk this, Melnyk that. **** and support your team. Not you per say, but in general!

It's a simple numbers game. Edmonton has around a million locals to draw from to support the Oilers. Imagine Red Deer was the size of Ottawa, and they put a team there? Good luck converting Calgary and Oilers fans.

All the other excuses of arena location etc. are fluff. It is excuses for fans, no matter how casual or hardcore, not to show up. But the main issue is the Ottawa has the smallest per-head fanbase of any canadian team, and it's not close. There are things to mitigate this, the largest being the new arena location to draw in more on-the-fence casuals. That will help a lot. People seem to not be "bothering with going" until the move happens, which sucks. Overall, it is a tremendously frustrating position to be in as a fan of the team. I was indeed embarrassed by the non-sellouts. I was at the 16.5k game vs NYR and it was major sadness.

The issue is tremendously complex. I guess this is the radio thread though. Looking forward to the wall-to-wall programming while I drive to Arnprior and back to pick up my canoe from being stored inside a barn. Sigh, apartment living.

Blackhockeyfan

Apr 4, 2008
It isn't actually. Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver are all bigger markets. The Alberta cities have seen people generate enormous wealth due to their oil boom and tickets are 8% cheaper due to no PST. Winnipeg plays in an AHL sized arena.

The Alberta markets have never had playoff attendance issues at any point of their existence. The oil boom (which has worn off anyway- look at unemployment rates in Alberta) has very little to do with their attendance history.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
The passion definitely isn't the same as here in Alberta, and I don't mean that in a negative way. The way Flames and Oilers fans follow their teams here is a little sad.

Blackhockeyfan

Apr 4, 2008
How about the Buffalo market?

Smaller population than Ottawa, much lower average income, two pro sports teams ( I assure you Bills tickets cost way more than Redblacks tickets), consistent playoff success but no hardware and yet they always sell-out.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Smaller population than Ottawa, much lower average income, two pro sports teams ( I assure you Bills tickets cost way more than Redblacks tickets), consistent playoff success but no hardware and yet they always sell-out.

I'm guessing there's a lot more corporate buys there.

I lived there for 3 years and there is a waiting list for season tickets and
yet could consistently get tickets for games a few rows off the glass for 50 bucks a pair.

I couldn't get that in Ottawa.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

Probably also lots of ppl making the trek from Hamilton and Niagara Falls. As I understood, there's quite a few Sabres fans in that region

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Hey guys, remember that this is the radio thread, and diving deeper into the attendance/fanbase rabbit hole isn't what this thread is for (albeit I'm guilty of it myself).

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The Alberta markets have never had playoff attendance issues at any point of their existence. The oil boom (which has worn off anyway- look at unemployment rates in Alberta) has very little to do with their attendance history.

The Alberta teams haven't had nearly as many playoff games as the Sens since the Sens joined the league.

And the unemployment rates in Alberta don't negate the fact that lots of people became wealthy during the boom. Tons of people flipping income properties made a killing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
just have to comment on the Melncyk article - feeling he has been 'singled out', 'bullied', 'don't blame me' - I just can't take another Billionaire who has caused his own problems and tries to reflect them on someone else. Mlencyk takes the abit every single time, he cannot resist, he's his own worse enemy, why fight someone who has an opinion, and who's opinion is correct - there are a lot of issues that go into attendance, but Melnyck is the #1 reason.

Boucher says everything starts at the top with leadership, and Melnyck just needs to listen to a man who is more sympathetic, more intelligent and more professional and a better leader then he is or ever will be.

Anyways, this is why people don't like Melnyck. He fights with everyone, he has a stupid billionaires opinion on everything, he's permanatly a victim of everything from the Mayor to MLS to Healtly to Crosby to Casisnos and unfair insider trading investigators.

Melncyk, you don't reflect the values of this city and Ottawa will never embrace you. Ever. Don't hide behind a Cup victory, even if we win the Cup in 2 weeks no one will like you. The Cup won't help you because you'll still be you, and when the Cup goes to a be at a greater cause you'll run to a microphone for an audience that doesn't want to hear from you.

And your price hike on parking, the #1 thing most hated about the CTC is just makes you look greedy and oppurtunistic - and because you don't see that, you'll never have the respect of the majority of the fanbase.

take responsibility for the state of your fanbase, don't blame someone for being mean to you, just suck it up and show some leadership.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
just have to comment on the Melncyk article - feeling he has been 'singled out', 'bullied', 'don't blame me' - I just can't take another Billionaire who has caused his own problems and tries to reflect them on someone else. Mlencyk takes the abit every single time, he cannot resist, he's his own worse enemy, why fight someone who has an opinion, and who's opinion is correct - there are a lot of issues that go into attendance, but Melnyck is the #1 reason.

Boucher says everything starts at the top with leadership, and Melnyck just needs to listen to a man who is more sympathetic, more intelligent and more professional and a better leader then he is or ever will be.

Anyways, this is why people don't like Melnyck. He fights with everyone, he has a stupid billionaires opinion on everything, he's permanatly a victim of everything from the Mayor to MLS to Healtly to Crosby to Casisnos and unfair insider trading investigators.

Melncyk, you don't reflect the values of this city and Ottawa will never embrace you. Ever. Don't hide behind a Cup victory, even if we win the Cup in 2 weeks no one will like you. The Cup won't help you because you'll still be you, and when the Cup goes to a be at a greater cause you'll run to a microphone for an audience that doesn't want to hear from you.

And your price hike on parking, the #1 thing most hated about the CTC is just makes you look greedy and oppurtunistic - and because you don't see that, you'll never have the respect of the majority of the fanbase.

take responsibility for the state of your fanbase, don't blame someone for being mean to you, just suck it up and show some leadership.

:handclap: and the firing of Cyril Leeder who was very well respected in this city & a great guy after all these yrs was seen as mean spirited & vengeful. :shakehead

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

Somehow you wrote out Melnyk's name 6 times, spelling it 3 different ways, and didn't get it right once. :laugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ian, I should probably clarify my lazy comment as it was not intended to describe your work ethic. In fact I believe you put more into your work than most.

What I meant by lazy was deferring to the easy story hours before a big game. You yourself mention the phrase news cycle. What do we care about news cycle, that's a term coined by those in the media. Right or wrong, in my mind it's a euphemism for, hey look, this seems like a sexy story that we can recycle over and over until the average person doesn't care any more.

This is not whatsoever about opposing views, bring them on. This was about a very poor time to bring this guy on.

Sens fans have been taking a beating from the large media centres for 25 years now, we're used to it. A few hours before a huge game we don't need our local media to facilitate the bleating for the sake of your news cycle.

By the way, your Anselmi interview was excellent. This guy is very thoughtful and it was refreshing to hear his take on how they are going to solve it.

Said it better than I ever could. Dealing with 'small market syndrome' for 25 years is draining enough....we don't need the local media piling more dirt on our backs. Don't they realize there's half a million hab/leaf fans hovering around just waiting to convert the tired Sens fans? :(

Actually, Buffalo and the Alberta teams, and even Vancouver have had attendance issues in their history. Just because you haven't seen it in the last 5 years doesn't mean it didn't happen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tons of people from Toronto & southern Ontario buy season tickets in Buffalo because they can't get Leaf tickets as well as a number of Toronto companies. They may have more problems with Leaf fans than Ottawa tbh. :shakehead

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ian, I'd like to thank you and everyone at TSN 1200 for their outstanding work this season. I don't listen every day, but try to listen as much as I can, and you guys do a terrific job. I have to say you are my personal favourite on the station. You're as professional, knowledgeable, friendly and kind as they come. You also have a great sense of humour. Keep those Simpsons and Seinfeld references coming! I love them! I too have never had a sip of coffee, but I have seen Slapshot! You should watch it sometime. It's great! I bet you'd love it.

Thanks for coming in here to chat with all us assclowns :D

My very best to you good sir.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
QUESTIONS THAT SHOULD BE ASKED BY TSN 1200 NOW THAT THE SEASON IS OVER:

1. After years of telling fans having an internal budget in place & telling fans "we will spend when the time is right", is Eugene Melnyk finally willing to do his part in making this contention window sustainable & for this team to be a cap team ?

2.A Will Pierre Dorion hire someone for the vacant Asst GM post voided by his promotion to the GM chair ? Is it financial reasons why he's yet to make a hire?

3. Pierre Dorion has mentioned numerous times they have "the smallest front office staffs in the league", will they have more financial flexibility to expand on their Front office staff

3.B. what's with not scouting any Russia players outside the CHL? Do they not see value in scouting Russians playing in the KHL. There have been some good signings recently by other NHL teams: Panarin & Zaitzev . Do the Senators give their scouts have the financial means to travel to Russia to scout the KHL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad