The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He clarified that he meant someone newish to the NHL like a minute after he said that.

You're so damn quick to jump on these guys.
They are pretty horrible though. JR to a lesser extent because he, from time to time, actually calls out ownership and management. Warne on the other hand (which I know has an account on here) is terrible.

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He clarified that he meant someone newish to the NHL like a minute after he said that.

You're so damn quick to jump on these guys.

He clarified because someone called him out. Calling Jim O'Brien "youthful" is a joke itself, of course he had to clarify it because he was wrong. Defending the fact that Jim O'Bren is up here while Filip Chlapik rots on the third line in Belleville is inexcusable.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He clarified because someone called him out. Calling Jim O'Brien "youthful" is a joke itself, of course he had to clarify it because he was wrong. Defending the fact that Jim O'Bren is up here while Filip Chlapik rots on the third line in Belleville is inexcusable.

Or he misspoke.

That can happen when youre talking on live radio for 3ish hours a day.

Reactions: lancepitlick

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They are pretty horrible though. JR to a lesser extent because he, from time to time, actually calls out ownership and management. Warne on the other hand (which I know has an account on here) is terrible.

I wouldn't call them horrible, there are some hosts I like more then others. I like Mendes and Simpson the most, so they're who I tune into. And the pregame show.

It is what it is. Small market Ottawa is going to have small market radio.

Reactions: Smash88

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Glad they sent that washed-up old timer Hogberg down to the ECHL, renewed commitment to development of UFA to be Taylor and not our property Hammond!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Good interview with Kurt Kleinendorst on TGOR this morning. Talked about Chabot and White a fair bit. Says White needs a full summer in the weight room to get stronger.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good interview with Kurt Kleinendorst on TGOR this morning. Talked about Chabot and White a fair bit. Says White needs a full summer in the weight room to get stronger.

Grinding is part of White's game .. IMO for him to be at his best he needs to get stronger , which he will and the weight training will help. I still think he should be finishing the year out up here and developing up here. Burrows should have been sent down .. nothing more to see from him here. That physical strength is just part of the whole package and all young players need to get stronger .. you can say that about just about any of them. KK is a smooth talker and he is towing the company line so we have to take that into consideration as well.

Bring up White and Chlapik... play them somewhere in the top 9 and give them 2nd PP duties and give White some PK duties ... wtf are we doing playing players that should be retired ahead of these guys.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Grinding is part of White's game .. IMO for him to be at his best he needs to get stronger , which he will and the weight training will help. I still think he should be finishing the year out up here and developing up here. Burrows should have been sent down .. nothing more to see from him here. That physical strength is just part of the whole package and all young players need to get stronger .. you can say that about just about any of them. KK is a smooth talker and he is towing the company line so we have to take that into consideration as well.

Bring up White and Chlapik... play them somewhere in the top 9 and give them 2nd PP duties and give White some PK duties ... wtf are we doing playing players that should be retired ahead of these guys.

Did you listen to the interview?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I did and I posted it in the Belleville Sens thread to boot earlier today. Did you?

Yes of course, that’s why I posted something about it. I thought he made some good points about young players. I know a lot of fans want to see the young guys right away, but there are some benefits to being patient with young players.

I didn’t feel he was towing the company line at all. He even disagree with how they handled Chabot. Said he thought Chabot should have been in Belleville for half a year before being called up.

Either way, I thought it was a good interview, which is why is brought it up.

Reactions: Newgates59

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes of course, that’s why I posted something about it. I thought he made some good points about young players. I know a lot of fans want to see the young guys right away, but there are some benefits to being patient with young players.

I didn’t feel he was towing the company line at all. He even disagree with how they handled Chabot. Said he thought Chabot should have been in Belleville for half a year before being called up.

Either way, I thought it was a good interview, which is why is brought it up.
And it was excellent of you to do so. I think he does tow the company line though but .He is an excellent communicator. He would be a good public speaker. I do not know how good a talent evaluator he is or how good a coach he is. There is not an exact science as to whether for Chabot for example , it's better to refine his development at the NHL level, or continue to work on his game at the AHL.. IMO the same goes for other players. I think an AHL coach has to drink from the AHL cooler a little at least.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
And it was excellent of you to do so. I think he does tow the company line though but .He is an excellent communicator. He would be a good public speaker. I do not know how good a talent evaluator he is or how good a coach he is. There is not an exact science as to whether for Chabot for example , it's better to refine his development at the NHL level, or continue to work on his game at the AHL.. IMO the same goes for other players. I think an AHL coach has to drink from the AHL cooler a little at least.

Oh, there’s never an exact science on how to develop young players, I agree 100%.

I just lean on the side of caution and patience with guys like White and Chabot. Some people had Chabot taking Methot’s spot on the top pairing before the season began. Seems like a lot to ask of a guy who hadn’t played a single pro game before this year.

Some people want Logan Brown in the second line centre spot to start next year. I’d wait and see how he does in camp before making that decision, but my preference would be to send him down to Belleville to start next year unless he plays amazing in camp.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oh, there’s never an exact science on how to develop young players, I agree 100%.

I just lean on the side of caution and patience with guys like White and Chabot. Some people had Chabot taking Methot’s spot on the top pairing before the season began. Seems like a lot to ask of a guy who hadn’t played a single pro game before this year.

Some people want Logan Brown in the second line centre spot to start next year. I’d wait and see how he does in camp before making that decision, but my preference would be to send him down to Belleville to start next year unless he plays amazing in camp.

I agree generally.. I think it should be better in Belleville next year ... I think if the baby Sens were say the Marlies, the development environment for guys like Chabot, White, Chalpik would be better.. there is more skill, more plays, more tempo. That's part of my concern. The other part is having guys playing out their careers .. with no future here, like Burrows and Gaborik play ahead of a couple kids like Chlapik and White down the stretch where there is little to gain, lots for those guys to prove, and almost nothing for Burrows and Gaborik to prove is questionable. Again if the Sens were the Marlies it would be less questionable, because the development environment is that much better. The BSens are set up so the best players are guys like McCormick , all heart and sole , no quit, play with an edge .. that's good for some players but not all players.. there is skill development , refinement that needs to go on where plays can be made at both ends of the ice ... Since its not an exact science I don't know for sure , but that is just the sense I get.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I agree generally.. I think it should be better in Belleville next year ... I think if the baby Sens were say the Marlies, the development environment for guys like Chabot, White, Chalpik would be better.. there is more skill, more plays, more tempo. That's part of my concern. The other part is having guys playing out their careers .. with no future here, like Burrows and Gaborik play ahead of a couple kids like Chlapik and White down the stretch where there is little to gain, lots for those guys to prove, and almost nothing for Burrows and Gaborik to prove is questionable. Again if the Sens were the Marlies it would be less questionable, because the development environment is that much better. The BSens are set up so the best players are guys like McCormick , all heart and sole , no quit, play with an edge .. that's good for some players but not all players.. there is skill development , refinement that needs to go on where plays can be made at both ends of the ice ... Since its not an exact science I don't know for sure , but that is just the sense I get.

Some solid points here SOA.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Reading Warren’s piece he ends it quoting the pleadge from Melnyk’s letter that Uncle Mel is dedicated (and not actually taking action) to hire the team the resources it needs for an NHL level scouting department.

Weeks removed from the emotion of trade deadline - how sad is it that the owner believes a positive press release is him stating (not actually hiring) that he’s dedicated to have a an NHL caliber scouting staff for his NHL franchise.

Funny thing is, 1 amazing junior scout making $45 000 in rural Finland could save this franchise with Datsyuk and Zetterberg like finds for us. Sad thing is, Melnyck won’t cut the check to save himself.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Reading Warren’s piece he ends it quoting the pleadge from Melnyk’s letter that Uncle Mel is dedicated (and not actually taking action) to hire the team the resources it needs for an NHL level scouting department.

Weeks removed from the emotion of trade deadline - how sad is it that the owner believes a positive press release is him stating (not actually hiring) that he’s dedicated to have a an NHL caliber scouting staff for his NHL franchise.

Funny thing is, 1 amazing junior scout making $45 000 in rural Finland could save this franchise with Datsyuk and Zetterberg like finds for us. Sad thing is, Melnyck won’t cut the check to save himself.

He is dedicated to the idea in theory, not dedicated to the practice of it lol....hurry up and fast forward and get this guy outta here yesterday!

Reactions: Bean Drown

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He is dedicated to the idea in theory, not dedicated to the practice of it lol....hurry up and fast forward and get this guy outta here yesterday!

Find it interesting that even Steve Warne of all people was critical of ownership on Twitter over the weekend. First Ken Warren, and now Warne. If the biggest organizational cheerleaders start openly criticizing ownership, maybe there are some changes brewing...

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Find it interesting that even Steve Warne of all people was critical of ownership on Twitter over the weekend. First Ken Warren, and now Warne. If the biggest organizational cheerleaders start openly criticizing ownership, maybe there are some changes brewing...

Good.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Have noticed that as well, better crazily late than never as the saying goes I guess

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Love how Pierre shut down Steve Warne Karlsson purge this morning regarding next year's captaincy. What a dink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad