The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
They don't have a president and with everyone pretty distracted right now it should be expected to affect new ticket sales for next season. It would be good to know how many renewals are still out in a holding pattern compared to other years as opposed to how many have actually sent back they are not renewing their seats. When do they have to answer back before the seats are released for resale. I think that might be more revealing of the backlash.
Season ticket prices went up, terrible season, uncertainty of the captain returning plus Melnyck being owner would be my guess for low ticket renewals

Reactions: lancepitlick

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Brendan Bell is a pleasure to listen to.

I agree. I was very impressed with is insight. Simmer was very much pushed to the background during the few segments I heard of the Drive. Much better than Todd White or Simmer.

On another note, nice to see TGOR return to being absolutely horrible again after a week full of distraction. Its probably was because Steve Warne is back, but I found JR to be more exhausting than usual this morning.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He has gotten so much better. He should always be on the pregame and post games and be the third man in on The Drive. The show sounds so much better with 3 hosts.

Brendan bell makes an absolute killing selling insurance.

He's never going to be a full time radio guy, he probably just does it for fun

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Actually, I'm sure as much as the Sens are hurting for money so is TSN1200. They had better ratings last Spring because of the long Sens run, this year they are going to be hurting, come they are having a Draft Lottery party just to stir up ratings. One has to wonder how long it will be before TSN1200 is hit by the job cuts that all the other BellMedia properties in the city have faced, makes me wonder if all the extra vacation time they been getting is paid or furloughed. I thought it was odd they all had weeks off in the middle of the season this year. Everyone criticizes the station for not being harder on the Sens but they have to walk a thin line because the Sens make or break the station.​

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Actually, I'm sure as much as the Sens are hurting for money so is TSN1200. They had better ratings last Spring because of the long Sens run, this year they are going to be hurting, come they are having a Draft Lottery party just to stir up ratings. One has to wonder how long it will be before TSN1200 is hit by the job cuts that all the other BellMedia properties in the city have faced, makes me wonder if all the extra vacation time they been getting is paid or furloughed. I thought it was odd they all had weeks off in the middle of the season this year. Everyone criticizes the station for not being harder on the Sens but they have to walk a thin line because the Sens make or break the station.​

The station has dug its own grave. They only have themselves to blame. Ratings will obviously rise and fall with how the hockey team is doing, however, there are many things the station could do to improve their product, during the "off-season, but the guy running the station feels that everything is fine the way it is. NOTHING has changed at the station in years. Same contests, same format, same hosts with their massive egos, its like groundhog day. They barely even talk about the going on across the rest of the league anymore, unless it has to do with the Department of player Safety or fight calls from around the league..

Giv'em hell Lee.

Oh no. I can only assume that listeners across the city were collectively changing the channel except Stylizer.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Todd White just said that having Jim O'Brien's youthful exuberance on the fourth line is great. LOL. Someone even called him out on text and he repeated that it was what he said...

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Todd White just said that having Jim O'Brien's youthful exuberance on the fourth line is great. LOL. Someone even called him out on text and he repeated that it was what he said...

Have no issues with JOB's play thus far and have liked him actually making the odd play with the puck instead of instant turn over as we are used too, im looking at several other guys before him, that said the thinking behind not bringing up what little future we have down in Belleville is ludicrous imo.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Have no issues with JOB's play thus far and have liked him actually making the odd play with the puck instead of instant turn over as we are used too, im looking at several other guys before him, that said the thinking behind not bringing up what little future we have down in Belleville is ludicrous imo.

Same here, no issue, just find it amusing that Todd White called him "youthful"

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I guess compared to him he is youthful lol, probably referring to his style of play....not enough of Guy's system in him yet, that creativity and willingness to take a chance and make a mistake will be choked out of him soon!

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Operating income is not profit. You still have to pay the bank and lenders. Ledder says team has lost $94M since Melnyk bought the team. I'm sorry you cannot understand that, unless the beloved Leeder is a liar, boorish, blah blah blah etc...

but are the losses due to legitimate expenses that you find running an NHL team or are they due to the high interest loans that Melnyk had to take out despite the fact that he bought the team and arena out of bankruptcy for pennies on the dollar? If the latter, then that's on Melnyk and not on the market.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The station has dug its own grave. They only have themselves to blame. Ratings will obviously rise and fall with how the hockey team is doing, however, there are many things the station could do to improve their product, during the "off-season, but the guy running the station feels that everything is fine the way it is. NOTHING has changed at the station in years. Same contests, same format, same hosts with their massive egos, its like groundhog day. They barely even talk about the going on across the rest of the league anymore, unless it has to do with the Department of player Safety or fight calls from around the league..

Oh no. I can only assume that listeners across the city were collectively changing the channel except Stylizer.
He's our Marinaro.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
He's our Marinaro.

No he's not. Marinaro actually has the balls to say something against the owner, GM and the coaches. Lee is essentially a louder Garrioch, just keeps towing the line for the organization, they can never do any wrong.

Reactions: Chezzz

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Ok, a question for Ian, is the show The Drive Home Show or The Drive? What ever you call it, you are the best part of it. I appreciate how you continue to try new things to keep it interesting and the work you do to keep your co-host in line :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: ianmendes

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
TGOR has spent a chunk of time discussing the draft lottery every day this week and most days last coming into the 7:00 hour, while never mentioning any of the players projected to be drafted after Dahlin. Are Warne and JR that uninformed??

What a waste of an opportunity to help the team sell the fanbase on certain players, we know that they are probably the organization's biggest cheerleaders, so help the team sell tickets. Sell the fans on Zadina or on Boqvist. Fans want to hear this, we don't want to hear about who each team's representatives at the lottery are, or to be reminded yet again of our odds, nor do we need speculate about who will represent the Sens.

LETS TALK ABOUT THE PLAYERS!!!!

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
TGOR has spent a chunk of time discussing the draft lottery every day this week and most days last coming into the 7:00 hour, while never mentioning any of the players projected to be drafted after Dahlin. Are Warne and JR that uninformed??

What a waste of an opportunity to help the team sell the fanbase on certain players, we know that they are probably the organization's biggest cheerleaders, so help the team sell tickets. Sell the fans on Zadina or on Boqvist. Fans want to hear this, we don't want to hear about who each team's representatives at the lottery are, or to be reminded yet again of our odds, nor do we need speculate about who will represent the Sens.

lol those 2 dudes are the least qualified people to discuss the draft, they usually just bring in Craig Button or someone to run his mouth for 15 minutes, while they sit back and wait until the segment is over, just so they can go back to the shitty dad jokes for the next 3 hours. They are only this interested in this draft lottery because its somewhat of a game, and its familiar with the shitty games/contests they ran on a daily basis. So its right up their alley.

Reactions: Chezzz

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

This is a good point. I think the entire time they have run the draft simulator (which, admittedly, is some decent silly entertainment) they have not once uttered the names of Svechnikov, Zadina, etc. Although I think Warne mentioned he liked the idea of drafting Tkachuk... something about grit or whatever :laugh:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ian and Jerk Store getting right into last night on twitter, at last check the agreement was to bring Jacob on next week, will certainly do my best to catch that one as JS seems pretty fired up over Eugene's latest antics and has been strong in leading the #MelnykOut charge!

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016

He clarified that later, basically meant to say that he's "hungry" rather than young. Main point is that he brings enthusiasm unlike Burrows, Gaborik etc.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Ian and Jerk Store getting right into last night on twitter, at last check the agreement was to bring Jacob on next week, will certainly do my best to catch that one as JS seems pretty fired up over Eugene's latest antics and has been strong in leading the #MelnykOut charge!

I saw that, kind of agree with Jerk Stone though, what's the point of bringing these 'bloggers' or 'average fans' on board, if your just gonna ask them questions on how they feel about a situation and not have a direct response to it or a discussion at all. It just felt like an interview "hey how how do you feel about this?", they let him rant, while they stayed quiet and asked the next question. It was more of an interview then an actual discussion about the issues that the 'blogger' brought up. And I thought that was the whole point. Give Ian props to having him in the first place though, not easy. Still an Ian fan.

Edit: I remember the last question was how would you like us to improve lol. That's essentially one ways to improve, have the hard discussions about the ownership in this city that the blogger talked about. That was the first time in that radio station I have heard someone mention that he needs to apologize, and that this fanbase saved his life not too long ago. Make this ownership and management accountable.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

He clarified that he meant someone newish to the NHL like a minute after he said that.

You're so damn quick to jump on these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->