The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Of course the mayonnaise featuring white sliced square bread segment that they call In The Box is pulling all it's stops in trying to justify an Erik Karlsson trade, never asking the question why we even got to this point of having to get rid of another elite player. They don't 'understand' why fans are all bent out of shape about this lol. "I don't blame Dorion for this" is one of the many garbage lines I heard in the first 15 minutes of today's hour before I shut it down...

To be fair, Lloydy did mention that the fans would go absolutely bananas if the Sens were to attach Ryan to the Karlsson trade as a cost-savings measure. He said they were smart enough to understand what was actually going on and the response from the fanbase would be intense. Go listen to the Garrioch segment if you haven't already.

Silex

Jan 22, 2009
Ottawa
To be fair, Lloydy did mention that the fans would go absolutely bananas if the Sens were to attach Ryan to the Karlsson trade as a cost-savings measure. He said they were smart enough to understand what was actually going on and the response from the fanbase would be intense. Go listen to the Garrioch segment if you haven't already.
I mean... they think the fanbase would be upset simply because Ryan would be traded with Karlsson to save money? That take doesn't make them look any better here. The main issue here is that they seem to fail to grasp that the fanbase would revolt if the Sens trade Karlsson period. And they can't seem to see the reasons for why this is the case.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I mean... they think the fanbase would be upset simply because Ryan would be traded with Karlsson to save money? That take doesn't make them look any better here. The main issue here is that they seem to fail to grasp that the fanbase would revolt if the Sens trade Karlsson period. And they can't seem to see the reasons for why this is the case.

Did you not read my post? I said that Lloydy said the fans would go absolutely bananas if the Sens attached Ryan to the Karlsson deal just to save money. He didn't say that fans would be "upset." He intimated that there would be major consequences. He didn't try to downplay it at all.

Silex

Jan 22, 2009
Ottawa
Did you not read my post? I said that Lloydy said the fans would go absolutely bananas if the Sens attached Ryan to the Karlsson deal just to save money. He didn't say that fans would be "upset." He intimated that there would be major consequences. He didn't try to downplay it at all.
Ok, let me put it this way: Sens fans are going to 'go bananas' regardless if Ryan is attached to a Karlsson trade or not. The point being that this fanbase will not tolerate the team trading away a generational defenseman as a cost saving measure. Lloyd thinking that attaching Ryan's contract to the trade is the threshold where fans revolt merely proves the point that they are increasingly out of touch with the fanbase.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Ok, let me put it this way: Sens fans are going to 'go bananas' regardless if Ryan is attached to a Karlsson trade or not. The point being that this fanbase will not tolerate the team trading away a generational defenseman as a cost saving measure. Lloyd thinking that attaching Ryan's contract to the trade is the threshold where fans revolt merely proves the point that they are increasingly out of touch with the fanbase.

That's exactly it though--you can sell it as something other than a cost savings measure if Ryan isn't attached. If they were to trade Karlsson for a massive package of elite prospects and picks, they could turn around and intimate that they had back channel discussions and knew that he wasn't going to sign. But, if the return was satisfactory the management could sell the fans on a rebuild and say they were just playing the hand they were dealt. Conversely, if the Sens were to attach Ryan in the Karlsson trade there would be no question amongst fans that this was purely about the money all along.

Again, Lloydy never said that fans wouldn't be rattled if Karlsson were to be traded. He said they would go nuts if it was done as an obvious cost-savings measure. Again, if the Sens do trade Karlsson it doesn't necessarily have to be about money. If it turns out that he wants to move on because the organization is a mess or the situation with ownership is untenable, then fine. He forces their hand. But, if they attach Ryan there will be no doubt in anyone's mind that this was all about saving a buck. Do you understand? Sheeeesh.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Yeah it makes perfect sense Terry you ****ing liar. What a POS. He just basically started this nonsense because to him it makes perfect sense. And then all the lemmings follow his lead, because they cannot possibly "not know", because they are all Insiders, right?

He is an irresponsible *****ebag who is clearly out of his element when it comes to planting stuff.

Ian knows he is a speculative liar, but hey, bring him on and let him spew his theories. Way to go TSN1200, the **** I had to listen to all day.

Lol his rumor been confirmed by all reputable sources in the league. Instead of wasting your energy being pissed at the messanger how about try being pissed at the owner and manager that are making this happen.

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Yeah it makes perfect sense Terry you ****ing liar. What a POS. He just basically started this nonsense because to him it makes perfect sense. And then all the lemmings follow his lead, because they cannot possibly "not know", because they are all Insiders, right?
Yeah, it is hilarious. Anyone could see it coming after Terry Marcotte said that. Funny how posters on here get sucked right in. :help:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Lol his rumor been confirmed by all reputable sources in the league. Instead of wasting your energy being pissed at the messanger how about try being pissed at the owner and manager that are making this happen.

We should also be pissed at the local media for dodging any Melnyk talk throughout any EK trade discussions. If TSN1200 has trouble gaining listeners now, wait until the inevitable character assassination on EK once the trade is completed, yet there will be no mention of the owner's role in all of this.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Paul Maclean (the mustache guy) has an excellent article on NHL.com talking bout EK and the type of man he is. GIves you a great sense of his confidence and pride as an athlete but also his self-worth as an athelete that is non-negotiable.

Article made me feel EK will stay.

Be nice for Mac to write an article on Melnyck. If the athelets are commidities for the media, why not the owner? And this takes us to the central question regarding Melnyck and why we feel the Ottawa media doesn't do their job with him. They treat him to a gold standard that is not earned or even justified, while the athletes, coach and GM get their reputations pumped and smeared. And it's not like Melnyck is in the shadows avoiding media, he can;'t resist a microphone and his brand is chaos, but it's athletes like EK who get caught up in Melycks chacos and have their integrity questioned - it happened to Alfie, it happened to Cameron, Maclean, and Melnyck skates away to Toronto and nothing gets said. I think the media-personalities here are afraid of Melnyck - not reporting the Anselmi firing, that's backdoor handshake dealing with the owner 101

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Article made me feel like EK would like to stay. Not sure it convinced me he will. Also, seems like right now the decision has been made for him.

True. But the optimist in me says Dorion is floating this to get EK's price down, because if Melnyck won't cut the cheque he has no choice but to deal him, but if he can get EK from $12 down to a price that Melmyck will pay (say $9.5) with the threat of him having to leave and start over (how hard is a move to Tampa really and playing with your best-buddy in a sun drenched tax free haven with an owner that will respect you?) then this might be Dorion's check-mate move for the Ottawa Senators.

The Dorion fan in me also maybe thinks Ottawa is selling, Melnyck just wants to make as much cash on the sale as he can, and all Dorion has to do is pretend he is following Melnyck's wishes in lowering salary to the bare minimum and wait him out and the white-knight arrives, he saves the day.

This is how whishful thinking works. You trick yourself into thinking EK isn't leaving. I did it with Turris, I did it with Alfie, and I'm doing it again.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
True. But the optimist in me says Dorion is floating this to get EK's price down, because if Melnyck won't cut the cheque he has no choice but to deal him, but if he can get EK from $12 down to a price that Melmyck will pay (say $9.5) with the threat of him having to leave and start over (how hard is a move to Tampa really and playing with your best-buddy in a sun drenched tax free haven with an owner that will respect you?) then this might be Dorion's check-mate move for the Ottawa Senators.

The Dorion fan in me also maybe thinks Ottawa is selling, Melnyck just wants to make as much cash on the sale as he can, and all Dorion has to do is pretend he is following Melnyck's wishes in lowering salary to the bare minimum and wait him out and the white-knight arrives, he saves the day.

This is how whishful thinking works. You trick yourself into thinking EK isn't leaving. I did it with Turris, I did it with Alfie, and I'm doing it again.

Thank you for your optimism, I wish I could bring myself to agree with you but, too much has happened for this to be just some big ploy.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Be nice for Mac to write an article on Melnyck. If the athelets are commidities for the media, why not the owner? And this takes us to the central question regarding Melnyck and why we feel the Ottawa media doesn't do their job with him. They treat him to a gold standard that is not earned or even justified, while the athletes, coach and GM get their reputations pumped and smeared. And it's not like Melnyck is in the shadows avoiding media, he can;'t resist a microphone and his brand is chaos, but it's athletes like EK who get caught up in Melycks chacos and have their integrity questioned - it happened to Alfie, it happened to Cameron, Maclean, and Melnyck skates away to Toronto and nothing gets said. I think the media-personalities here are afraid of Melnyck - not reporting the Anselmi firing, that's backdoor handshake dealing with the owner 101

One media member, that's it, that's all it would take and that person would probably be a hero in this city. TAKE MELNYK DOWN!

TSN1200 has the avenue but has absolutely no interest in roasting Melnyk, Simmer tries, but the host quickly changes the topic everytime, we need a Tony Marinaro. The hosts on the station would rather cut the player down than cut the owner down, its quite embarrassing. Warne started it a few months ago and it will only continue until Karlsson is eventually moved. Same goes for the Sun/Citizen writers, Garrioch, Warren. Brennan is the only one that has had some backhanded comments regarding ownership.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Paul Maclean (the mustache guy) has an excellent article on NHL.com talking bout EK and the type of man he is. GIves you a great sense of his confidence and pride as an athlete but also his self-worth as an athelete that is non-negotiable.

Article made me feel EK will stay.

Awww, I miss Paulrus. I'm surprised he hasn't found another head coaching gig in the NHL.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
, but it's athletes like EK who get caught up in Melycks chacos and have their integrity questioned

this was too funny to pass up! (sorry)
chco-20170130-desktop-zSandals-cloud-slide07.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
One media member, that's it, that's all it would take and that person would probably be a hero in this city. TAKE MELNYK DOWN!

One media member speaks out.
The organization denies.
The rest of the media turn on him because they don't bite the hand that feeds them, and support the org's denial or offers alternative versions of it that are less damning.
The "whistleblower" (for lack of a better term) is alone in his accusations, and becomes background noise.
Nothing changes.

... I'm not saying it plays out like this, but I'm not saying it doesn't, either.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
One media member speaks out.
The organization denies.
The rest of the media turn on him because they don't bite the hand that feeds them, and support the org's denial or offers alternative versions of it that are less damning.
The "whistleblower" (for lack of a better term) is alone in his accusations, and becomes background noise.
Nothing changes.

... I'm not saying it plays out like this, but I'm not saying it doesn't, either.

You are right, maybe it'll take 2.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Pierre Dorion can sign Erik Karlsson to a $9.5mil/year contract with term, he deserves the GM of the Year award for every year of Karlsson's contract, and then be sainted.

He almost won it last year. I'm still in Pierre's corner, I think without him dealing with the insanity of ownership things could be way way worse then they are right now. One big criticism I have of him is how everything in Ottawa management gets into the press, and this has been happening since Murray was around. There's a serious leak in Ottawa, maybe it's the owner, maybe it's the players, but he has to get that under control or nothing will settle

The fact that Dorion (and EK's god like play) got us to the ECF last year was incredible. Still supporting him, and he has the hardest GM job in the NHL. Chayka has no expectations on him and no one knows who he is or what he does. Dorion's name has literally been in the media more then any other GM's in the last 2 years and that's a pressure point I think we need to acknowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->