The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
...seriously?

It pretty much shows Sens fans are on our own. When even "our" radio station doesn't seem to be in the Sens' corner, there's no reason to have them on the dial.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Too much hand wringing and obsequiousness by the local media. Even the Montreal media were admitting that at those prices for the last row of the 300's, they probably wouldn't go either.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Too much hand wringing and obsequiousness by the local media. Even the Montreal media were admitting that at those prices for the last row of the 300's, they probably wouldn't go either.

It's the greedy owner gouging people. :shakehead

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
...seriously?

It pretty much shows Sens fans are on our own. When even "our" radio station doesn't seem to be in the Sens' corner, there's no reason to have them on the dial.

Mendes predicted the Sens would win game 6.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
...seriously?

Mendes is on our side, so is Lee. This was their weak-ass attempt at hard-hitting journalism and it failed. No one wants to hear Jeremy frikkin' Roenick of all people bashing Sens fans on game day and Ian should have known better, but he won't admit to it.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Mendes is on our side, so is Lee. This was their weak-ass attempt at hard-hitting journalism and it failed. No one wants to hear Jeremy frikkin' Roenick of all people bashing Sens fans on game day and Ian should have known better, but he won't admit to it.

Biggest game in 10 years and we have to hear about how Ottawa should be embarrassed by their fans/ attendance by a loud mouth who was obviously going to say exactly what he said because he's already said it before. So I'm in full agreement with you here, Mendes was so proud that he was able to get Roenick but I hated it. Mendes mentioned how they also wanted to get his opinion on the series and game 6 but it was obvious it was all about the attendance story.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Rarely does Mendes have a brain fart, that's why I will give him a pass on this one, but having Roenick on yesterday to bash the city and the team was not a very good decision and wasn't very well received by the listeners. Very un-Mendes like, that's why I find it hard to believe that this was Ian's doing. Smells like something JR or Versage would have cooked up.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Pierre was especially salty this morning. There was no doubt in his mind that the Pens goal should have counted, end of story. When pressed he claims he didn't see the push at that moment from the angles he had. His reasoning was that many times in the past decades a goal like this would have counted, even asking Simmer if he was ever scored on this way... And that with that goal, the Pens would have been up 2-0 since they scored shortly after anyway and the game would have been over for the Sens.

I can't wait to hear him if the Sens end up winning on Thursday! He's going to be really pissed.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
...seriously?

You see, I like that they aren't full on fan boys. Don't actively root against them, but bring some objectivity to the table. I don't need to hear that the Senators are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Tell me what their weaknesses are. Tell me the opponent's strengths. Give me an honest assessment of the situation. If the odds are long, tell me. Don't give me 12 hours of cheerleading.

But of course, don't undermine the team. Don't say "Don't bother watching or going to the game. The product is boring and the series is over." Highlight this once in a decade opportunity, and tell me what the Senators need to do to have a chance.

Right now, I think the tone is pretty well balanced. Now, I can take issues with some individual personalities or formats, guest choices, ads, but I'm happy with the station's general approach.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Pierre was especially salty this morning. There was no doubt in his mind that the Pens goal should have counted, end of story. When pressed he claims he didn't see the push at that moment from the angles he had. His reasoning was that many times in the past decades a goal like this would have counted, even asking Simmer if he was ever scored on this way... And that with that goal, the Pens would have been up 2-0 since they scored shortly after anyway and the game would have been over for the Sens.

I can't wait to hear him if the Sens end up winning on Thursday! He's going to be really pissed.

It was outrageous, just as I had expected. Of course Pierre thought it should have counted. He had NOTHING to back his claim up either. I loved his tone of "well they should ignore that rule because playoff hockey and past history." I thought he was an advocate for getting the call right :laugh:

I really like Pierre, but his bias this week is showing more than a wet t shirt at a county fair.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
pretty sure i could see Pierre crying in his little glass cube at the final buzzer last night. His salty little tears spilling into his Pens R #1 coffee mug were deftly wiped away with his vintage Lemieux handkerchief.
Hopefully Scotty Bowman was able to calm him down and get him tucked away in bed before he threw a tantrum.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Not sure what the hype is about McGuire. He's become a predictable "brand". I personally find his takes completely useless and his constant name dropping nauseating.
He's essentially a mediocre coach and failed wanna-be GM.
Worst thing about him is the way he caters his takes to his audience. Just another reason to skip the entire morning segment.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
No doubt Pierre has an incredible knowledge of players , their playing history and and a boatload of trivial facts.
The problem is, he is constantly pumping his own tires, name dropping and has a tendency to become condescending in his daily spot on 1200. Perhaps he has grown tired of the media gig and the doors have been closed on other hockey opportunities. With his travel schedule I sure couldn't blame him for being blunt but his "schtick" is growing weary.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
We were talking about tickets and where the fan base comes from at one point.

My community of Brockville just got clobbered by news that proctor and gamble is closing their factory here. 500 jobs . Poof. All "high paying" jobs.

There goes a bunch of ticket buyers.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you want a great read Google the Jeff Jacobs article from the Hartford Courant from when Pierre was fired as Whalers coach. I grew up a Whalers fan and can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that he was the worst coach in team history.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Biggest game in 10 years and we have to hear about how Ottawa should be embarrassed by their fans/ attendance by a loud mouth who was obviously going to say exactly what he said because he's already said it before. So I'm in full agreement with you here, Mendes was so proud that he was able to get Roenick but I hated it. Mendes mentioned how they also wanted to get his opinion on the series and game 6 but it was obvious it was all about the attendance story.

Media is ultimately a business, not a public service. In their business the bottom line is about improving ratings and generating buzz. JR is a controversial figure, so if you can get him on your show it's going to generate some chatter. Some of us purists might find it a little off-putting, but in a world where the competition for listeners and attention is fierce, frankly they can't worry about that too much.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Media is ultimately a business, not a public service. In their business the bottom line is about improving ratings and generating buzz. JR is a controversial figure, so if you can get him on your show it's going to generate some chatter. Some of us purists might find it a little off-putting, but in a world where the competition for listeners and attention is fierce, frankly they can't worry about that too much.

I think having Roenick on did the exact opposite of what you are stating here. Pierre McGuire is also doing the same thing. Unfortunately, TGOR doesn't change anything about their program, so McGuire will continue to appear every day at 8 until he decides he no longer wants to.

On the flip side, Mendes is a bright guy, I think he learned his lesson from yesterday and may think twice about an interview like that next time.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brennan is the guy who is taking on Melnyck in the press. He's said some stuff on 1200 about him and is the only reporter in the city that is critical of Melnyck himself as a man and owner. Now he's written an article taking on Melnyck as the #1 reason for attendance problems - I believe this to be the case.

Get going Donny, give it to him

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Rarely does Mendes have a brain fart, that's why I will give him a pass on this one, but having Roenick on yesterday to bash the city and the team was not a very good decision and wasn't very well received by the listeners. Very un-Mendes like, that's why I find it hard to believe that this was Ian's doing. Smells like something JR or Versage would have cooked up.

Why...you can't handle the truth?

Roenick came on to explain himself, and you all thought he was going to apologize when Game 6, the most important game in 10 years wasn't (and didn't )sold out? As a matter of fact it was perfect timing.

You wanted Mendes to stick up for the losers who didn't go last night? You tell me what JR said that was wrong. Not hurtful to all of your fragiles psyches, but wrong.

Most important game in 10 years. Check. Fans had 4 days to buy tickets. Check. We are in Canada, the hockey crazy country. Check. We have Karlsson. Check. What Anderson has gone through and how he has battled adversity. Check. In Canada, this is the only market where this would happen. Check. Place should be filled and standing room. Check.

So where was Mendes going to correct him? He is supposed to stick up for the cheapskates who wouldn't shell out 120 bucks for the most important game in 10 years? Yeah right.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
So where was Mendes going to correct him? He is supposed to stick up for the cheapskates who wouldn't shell out 120 bucks for the most important game in 10 years? Yeah right.
If you think this is solely an issue of fans being cheapskates, I invite you to read the thread on the main boards, where many strong points have been brought up regarding the realities of the market here, as well as why it's unfair to compare us directly with markets like Toronto and Montreal. If your opinion is as strong as the one you've outlined here, it's pretty clear you don't grasp that this is a much more nuanced situation than fans choosing not to spend.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you think this is solely an issue of fans being cheapskates, I invite you to read the thread on the main boards, where many strong points have been brought up regarding the realities of the market here, as well as why it's unfair to compare us directly with markets like Toronto and Montreal. If your opinion is as strong as the one you've outlined here, it's pretty clear you don't grasp that this is a much more nuanced situation than fans choosing not to spend.

Bud, it's been 25 years and now we have attendance problems. The reality is there are 1.3M people in the area, and lazy apathetic fanbase. You can cling to excuses all you want, if it makes you feel better. I'm not buying them, but you go ahead.

A lot of people missed another memorable game, well worth 120 bucks . Last I checked, we were between Toronto and Montreal 25 years ago so...yeah good point for bringing that up now. Just another lame excuse

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Bud, it's been 25 years and now we have attendance problems. The reality is there are 1.3M people in the area, and lazy apathetic fanbase. You can cling to excuses all you want, if it makes you feel better. I'm not buying them, but you go ahead.

A lot of people missed another memorable game, well worth 120 bucks . Last I checked, we were between Toronto and Montreal 25 years ago so...yeah good point for bringing that up now. Just another lame excuse

Right. Once again, I'd suggest you read the thread on the main boards rather than jump to conclusions. That only scratches the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->