Speculation: The Official Offseason Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Genuine question, how do you think we're supposed to trade for a top pairing defenseman in his prime?

Those trades never happen. We'd have to mortgage the team's future.

As for free agency, the top Dmen are Dougie Hamilton, Tyson Barrie, Adam Larsson, and Alec Martinez.

We're not going to overpay for Hamilton or Barrie. Larsson probably re-signs with Edmonton. Martinez isn't top pairing.

So while I agree with your sentiment, I don't see how it happens.
I don't know if it's possible but I would imagine it would have to be trading for a player on the cusp of being a top pairing guy. Adam Fox and Seth Jones were both traded to their current teams. It can happen, but again, not easy.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't know if it's possible but I would imagine it would have to be trading for a player on the cusp of being a top pairing guy. Adam Fox and Seth Jones were both traded to their current teams. It can happen, but again, not easy.
Adam Fox refused to sign anywhere except New York so that's a unique situation.

Nashville swapped Seth Jones for what they thought would become a 1C since they had shit center depth, but were a factory for Dmen. They were dealing from a position of strength. The Hawks don't have a position of strength to deal from. Also Johansen was a high profile prospect too. That'd be like us trading Kirby for a top pairing guy of about the same age.

Reactions: Pertti and d rake

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Nashville swapped Seth Jones for what they thought would become a 1C since they had shit center depth, but were a factory for Dman. They were dealing from a position of strength. The Hawks don't have a position of strength to deal from.

I'm wondering if there's a situation where we can trade one of young dmen plus to a team that has good dmen but cap or expansion draft issues. Like look at how Colorado dealt Barrie and they may have to deal another dman with EJ's NMC.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm wondering if there's a situation where we can trade one of young dmen plus to a team that has good dmen but cap or expansion draft issues. Like look at how Colorado dealt Barrie and they may have to deal another dman with EJ's NMC.
I wouldn't mind overpaying a bit for Severson, but New Jersey definitely doesn't need cap space help haha

Something like Kubalik + Regula. That'll likely be an unpopular proposal though. But Severson is a legit #2D, and just entering his prime.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Nashville swapped Seth Jones for what they thought would become a 1C since they had shit center depth, but were a factory for Dmen. They were dealing from a position of strength. The Hawks don't have a position of strength to deal from. Also Johansen was a high profile prospect too. That'd be like us trading Kirby for a top pairing guy of about the same age.

If you're CBJ and you want to collect something rather than letting the guy walk for nothing, you trade him. It's not often that a #1D puts his current team in that situation, but it seems (we're all just speculating) that it may happen here. The Jackets aren't in the same competitive place the Blues were when Pietrangelo decided to leave -- the Blues had to hang onto him as long as possible to try and win in the moment.

Obviously, Jarmo has a lot to weigh here, but even if there's a chance he may move Jones this offseason then the Hawks need to be exploring that. One of Toews or Kane will almost certainly retire before any of the young D reach Jones' level, and that's if they ever do.

As @Brightwing said, a 27-30 age range top pairing is desperately needed if this team thinks it can be competitive again before T/K are totally done.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
I wouldn't mind overpaying a bit for Severson, but New Jersey definitely doesn't need cap space help haha

Something like Kubalik + Regula. That'll likely be an unpopular proposal though. But Severson is a legit #2D, and just entering his prime.
Yikes!!!

Haven't seen Severson often but hasn't seen anything that says 2D, more like 4D.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I'd trade for him ...but anyone other than Kane, Toews, Dach, Cat, Kubalik and Boqvist. If you can't get it done without including any of those guys, then you wait it out a year and take your chances.

The only D you could get me to trade anyone on that list for are Makar and Heiskanen and that's not happening.

So the best piece you'd offer up for one of the best D in the league is... who? Brandon Hagel? :laugh:

Youre really over valuing our own players. Have to be willing to give up smtg go get quality pieces.

Reactions: d rake

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So the best piece you'd offer up for one of the best D in the league is... who? Brandon Hagel? :laugh:

Youre really over valuing our own players. Have to be willing to give up smtg go get quality pieces.
I'd start with the Hawks 2021 1st rounder and go from there.

You could probably convince me to part with Kubalik because Jones is only a year older.

Last edited:

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
I'd start with the Hawks 2021 1st rounder and go from there.

You could probably convince me to part with Kubalik because Jones is only a year older.

You don’t hesitate a single second to part ways with Hawks 1st and Kubalik if that’s enough to get Jones (it’s not).

I really like Kubalik, and I’m not looking to trade him. But let’s not get silly and call him untouchable.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You don’t hesitate a single second to part ways with Hawks 1st and Kubalik if that’s enough to get Jones (it’s not).

I really like Kubalik, and I’m not looking to trade him. But let’s not get silly and call him untouchable.
That's as much as I'd offer for a 1 year rental.

Kubalik is a walking 30 goal scorer and those don't grow on trees.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
That's a ludicrous ask.

Is it? You are asking for an established, minute munching, all situation 1d. Who is in his prime, with legit chance to be in the conversation for Norris. I wonder how he looks next year without Torts coz his offense could open up even more.

Youd be giving up 3 pieces that have a lot of potential sure, but thats all they are for now - potential. I know youre extremely high on both, Dach being Kopitar level and Boqvist being Karlsson, but im not sure many in the world would share that level of optimism, at least not with that amount of certainty.

Anyway i wouldnt give up all three pieces, but 1st + Boqvist + another asset i would. Think of what you wouldve accepted for Keith when he was in his prime.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Is it? You are asking for an established, minute munching, all situation 1d. Who is in his prime, with legit chance to be in the conversation for Norris. I wonder how he looks next year without Torts coz his offense could open up even more.

Youd be giving up 3 pieces that have a lot of potential sure, but thats all they are for now - potential. I know youre extremely high on both, Dach being Kopitar level and Boqvist being Karlsson, but im not sure many in the world would share that level of optimism, at least not with that amount of certainty.

Anyway i wouldnt give up all three pieces, but 1st + Boqvist + another asset i would. Think of what you wouldve accepted for Keith when he was in his prime.
I've cooled a bit on both guys, but Dach and Boqvist are the Hawks and their fans "penance" for losing Panarin and losing games. I'd rather hold both and let them disappoint than trade them and let them flourish elsewhere.

I could be talked into it for a bonafide young star like Eichel or Heiskanen. Anything less than that level of player and I hold them.

While Jones has been very good, his play has dropped a bit recently.

My top offer for Jones would be Kubalik, Strome, the Hawks 2021 1st and any 2 D Prospects the Hawks have outside of Boqvist.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I've cooled a bit on both guys, but Dach and Boqvist are the Hawks and their fans "penance" for losing Panarin and losing games. I'd rather hold both and let them disappoint than trade them and let them flourish elsewhere.

I could be talked into it for a bonafide young star like Eichel or Heiskanen. Anything less than that level of player and I hold them.

While Jones has been very good, his play has dropped a bit recently.

My top offer for Jones would be Kubalik, Strome, the Hawks 2021 1st and any 2 D Prospects the Hawks have outside of Boqvist.

Jones isn't going anywhere without a young top Center coming back. Bluejackets are trash since Dubois left because they don't have a top Center. They're this Center away from being a playoff team. Adding prospects, Strome and Kubalik for Jones would make them worse, not better. The only interesting player for them is Kirby Dach. Unless it's a threeway deal but with top players that's unlikely to happen.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Jones isn't going anywhere without a young top Center coming back. Bluejackets are trash since Dubois left because they don't have a top Center. They're this Center away from being a playoff team. Adding prospects, Strome and Kubalik for Jones would make them worse, not better. The only interesting player for them is Kirby Dach. Unless it's a threeway deal but with top players that's unlikely to happen.

It sounded like Zawaski and Neveau were kind of arguing that you'd have to at least consider trading Dach if it brought back a legitimate and established #1D. I'll need to listen back, but it sounded like they seem to think it could be a savvy move.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It sounded like Zawaski and Neveau were kind of arguing that you'd have to at least consider trading Dach if it brought back a legitimate and established #1D. I'll need to listen back, but it sounded like they seem to think it could be a savvy move.
I never thought Zawaski was that f***ing stupid. If we aren’t contending anytime soon then stop trying to trade the young guys who look good.

Christ almighty that’s a move just waiting to backfire.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I wouldn't do it, but parting with Dach would probably be the only way to get Jones via trade. Columbus needs a top center. Anything else wouldn't do much for them.

I was surprised to see them trade their only top Center for friggen Laine. Jarmo won't do the same mistake again.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They didn't say Dach, they said Cat. However, they did qualify it by saying there's a short list of guys that they'd do that for, and named Makar and Heiskanen, saying that it would have to be someone like that.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They didn't say Dach, they said Cat. However, they did qualify it by saying there's a short list of guys that they'd do that for, and named Makar and Heiskanen, saying that it would have to be someone like that.

Neveau first said Cat, then Zawaski basically said that's dumb and said Dach should be the one you'd use between those two.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Hawks have no business trading Kirby for Seth Jones...Have to hope he goes to market after next year and have the cap space to add him...

For sure. If, God forbid, Toews doesn’t come back, his cap space transferring towards a younger player, hopefully a bonafide 1D, wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Neveau first said Cat, then Zawaski basically said that's dumb and said Dach should be the one you'd use between those two.
Yeah and outside of Makar/Heiskanen/Fox there really aren't any young stud defensemen, and it's not like any of them are even a remotely realistic option for the Hawks. (Makar/Heiskanen in division, Fox with the NYC ties)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->