The Official Nutrition Thread - Tips, Recommendations, Current Diets

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Both, in addition to ethical, scientific (sustainability, environmental, etc.) and philosophical reasons. The bottom line at the end of the day is that I don't *need* it to survive or thrive.
Good for you.

It is too damn easy, delicious, and readily available to give up. If the adverse health affects were as steep as refined sugars and heavily processed foods it would be a different story.

I can safely say I will never be a vegetarian. I think I could if I had to if the health ramifications were big enough (can't see any other reason to), but otherwise I needs ma meat.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
If I wasn't working out or doing anything active, I could easily go vegetarian.

I feel like I don't eat enough red meat. The difference in energy and recovery between pork/beef and chicken is huge for me. I know there's a higher fat count but I'm sure there also certain nutrient present in one versus the other.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
My thoughts exactly, and they don't involve any animal cruelty if bought local/free range/humane

Exactly. In terms of ethical-ness some may seem them as a grey area, but they are essential for everyone, especially vegetarians who need alternative protein sources.

I have several family members with varying ethical food restrictions, none of which includes eggs though.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'm back to consistent intermittent fasting with great results so far. I guess the key for me has been switching from tea to a nearly zero calorie coffee in the morning. Drinking a cup at 7am before I go to work makes it relatively easy to put off my first meal until 10am. Generally finish all of my eating around 7pm, so it's more of a 15hr fasting period. It's 10am right now and I could easily go another hour without eating if I wanted, but I'm lifting at 12 and like to give my food some time to digest.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Started messing around with IF in June of 16'. I was eating breakfast around 8 AM, but realized I wasn't hungry that early anymore (I get up at 5) and decided to try for noon.

Reaching noon turned out to be easy and my daily window was 12 - 8. My workouts were still great, and I had no adverse effects from the daily 16 hour fast.

Then this past September I realized I was no longer hungry at noon, so breakfast got pushed back till 2/3 PM. Same results - workouts are still great and no adverse effects. My current window is from 2/3 till about 7.

That said I only do the 4 hour window Monday through Friday. I'll usually eat breakfast between 10 and 12 on the weekend as four hours is just too damn restrictive then.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So I just started working out last week, I am tired of being skinny because of my fast metabolism - I’m 22 years old and I think I lose weight eating five burgers from McDonald’s.

So as I said, I started lifting weights on this Inspire weight machine (just google it so it makes more sense what I’m talking about) but I am fully aware that if I’m not also performing in the kitchen, then I’m not going to get the best results or the results I want.

I am looking to pack on weight as I am very skinny since I can eat anything and not gain weight at all. So my question is, would a ‘dirty bulk’ be the best bet in my scenario?

I can eat healthy no problem, but I don’t think clean bulking is what is best for me, correct? So if I dirty bulk, I eat as much as I can, doesn’t matter what it is, and just stick to my workout routine?

I’m just trying to get a feel on what I should be doing to see results - I don’t want to put the effort and time in and not be eating properly to accommodate my goals.

If anyone can kind of expand on what I should focus on eating the most and if a dirty bulk is even my best bet.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
PG I'm just surprised you're only 22, you young pup.

Can't really give you any advice, I know nothing about being skinny and not being able to gain weight, the opposite in fact.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
PG I'm just surprised you're only 22, you young pup.

Can't really give you any advice, I know nothing about being skinny and not being able to gain weight, the opposite in fact.

Yeah I have issues gaining weight, I always get told oh just you wait until you get older. :laugh:

But I’m just tired of being as skinny as I am because of my metabolism and looking on the web a dirty bulk may be worth a shot but I’m no expert so the more insight I can get the better. I see mixed opinions on just about anything workout related so I think I am just going to try dirty bulking and see what happens since my metabolism is obviously so crazy.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have heard many skinny people say "I can eat anything" etc., but I just won't gain weight. Then when you ask these people to count calories, without exceptions so far, the result is they don't eat nearly as much as they think they do.

My Basal Metabolic Rate, which more or less is the energy required staying in bed for 24 hours, is slightly above 2300 kcal. It depends on what kind of exercises I do, but often I will burn more than 1500 kcal on a normal day going to the gym, cycling whatever. On those days I would need to eat 7 Big Macs just to keep my body weight. Every day.

Now I got 50kg+ with muscle mass so we probably aren't that comparable in that sense, but if you compensate for that with a so called higher metabolism you might need more food than you think.

So I would start counting calories (if not in great amount of details so a short description of meals).

Reactions: UnrealMachine

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I have heard many skinny people say "I can eat anything" etc., but I just won't gain weight. Then when you ask these people to count calories, without exceptions so far, the result is they don't eat nearly as much as they think they do.

My Basal Metabolic Rate, which more or less is the energy required staying in bed for 24 hours, is slightly above 2300 kcal. It depends on what kind of exercises I do, but often I will burn more than 1500 kcal on a normal day going to the gym, cycling whatever. On those days I would need to eat 7 Big Macs just to keep my body weight. Every day.

Now I got 50kg+ with muscle mass so we probably aren't that comparable in that sense, but if you compensate for that with a so called higher metabolism you might need more food than you think.

So I would start counting calories (if not in great amount of details so a short description of meals).

Yeah I stumbled upon calculating body weight and how many calories you need to eat and it came out around 2500 calories. Not sure how accurate that is, but that would definitely be a lot more than I usually eat.

I’m just trying to eat anything at all times. I definitely need to eat more and now that I started working out I should see some weight starting to pack on.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
There's no method to the madness. It's simple. If you want to gain weight, eat more. If you're not gaining weight, continue to eat more until you do.

As for what to eat, it's really whatever you want, as long as you're eating enough to gain weight.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Mystery solved.

I agree I wouldn't be too concerned about what to eat. If you want to go from 12% to 8% body fat trying to keep as much muscle mass as possible it is a different story. That requires a bit more "science" getting there. Also you got other aspects of your health than just how you look - energy levels and general health. Again - slightly different story.

You can stay pretty fit by just eating pizza:

Man eats Domino's pizza every day for a year and somehow lost weight

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I've been eating just about everything and anything - I am trying the dirty bulk idea. I would prefer to pack on some weight, any weight is good weight for me right now. I am continuing to workout too. If I gain too much weight (I doubt it) then I will just do some months of cutting but my metabolism is crazy so I doubt I will have any issues...only issue will be gaining the weight to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I am still eating healthy but not afraid to eat from McDonalds or Dominoes etc. Going to see how this works for me, if I don't get decent results I will have to try something else.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
So I just started working out last week, I am tired of being skinny because of my fast metabolism - I’m 22 years old and I think I lose weight eating five burgers from McDonald’s.

So as I said, I started lifting weights on this Inspire weight machine (just google it so it makes more sense what I’m talking about) but I am fully aware that if I’m not also performing in the kitchen, then I’m not going to get the best results or the results I want.

I am looking to pack on weight as I am very skinny since I can eat anything and not gain weight at all. So my question is, would a ‘dirty bulk’ be the best bet in my scenario?

I can eat healthy no problem, but I don’t think clean bulking is what is best for me, correct? So if I dirty bulk, I eat as much as I can, doesn’t matter what it is, and just stick to my workout routine?

I’m just trying to get a feel on what I should be doing to see results - I don’t want to put the effort and time in and not be eating properly to accommodate my goals.

If anyone can kind of expand on what I should focus on eating the most and if a dirty bulk is even my best bet.
I was in the same boat as you about a year ago and have gained 40 pounds (130-170, about 5'10) since. I found consistency to be the most important part of it. Yes you have to eat a lot... but you need to eat a lot every day.

I was struggling with hitting my calorie goal every day until I found a system online where you split up the meals into 6. I'd eat about 500-600 calorie meals 6 times a day. Once I got in the groove of it it wasn't hard at all.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I've been eating just about everything and anything - I am trying the dirty bulk idea. I would prefer to pack on some weight, any weight is good weight for me right now. I am continuing to workout too. If I gain too much weight (I doubt it) then I will just do some months of cutting but my metabolism is crazy so I doubt I will have any issues...only issue will be gaining the weight to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I am still eating healthy but not afraid to eat from McDonalds or Dominoes etc. Going to see how this works for me, if I don't get decent results I will have to try something else.

You got a Chipolte by you? If you can afford it try to eat 2 to 3 burritos a day fully loaded, double rice, double meat, all the fixens too, sour cream and quac. That would add a ton of calories to your diet and it's not garbage like McDonald's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad