GDT: The official NCAA Football thread

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Instead of a yearly thread I figured we could instead do a 1,000 post discussion about the great sport of collegiate football.

Since I've been here, the following schools have had supporters here at HFCanes.

NC State
UNC
Duke
Wake Forest
East Carolina
Appalachian State
UNC-Charlotte
Campbell?
Western Carolina?
Clemson
South Carolina
Georgia Tech
Georgia?
Florida
Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Michigan
Michigan State? (Roddy Bs alma mater if nothing else)
UConn
Fordham
Boise State

I think this covers everyone, even those who haven't posted in a while or post sparingly. May all your teams go undefeated and win Multiple. National. Championships.

Good luck :cheers:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Are they still allowed to have a team?
Using a loose definition of team.....probably better to call them:

foot-locker.jpg

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I’m very curious how NC State’s season will work out. I feel confident about the QB, WR, and most of the OL. RB is a concern even though Gallaspy has solid playing time under his belt. I just don’t think he’s a starter but I’m hoping he proves me wrong. I think the secondary will be better but again the DL has been completely overturned. I’m feeling a 7-5 season. If we could have just squashed the two teams together for one year....

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I’m very curious how NC State’s season will work out. I feel confident about the QB, WR, and most of the OL. RB is a concern even though Gallaspy has solid playing time under his belt. I just don’t think he’s a starter but I’m hoping he proves me wrong. I think the secondary will be better but again the DL has been completely overturned. I’m feeling a 7-5 season. If we could have just squashed the two teams together for one year....

I'm expecting 7 this year, with 19-20 being a big bounce back... to 8.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Honestly, we're actually using the @NCSU game as a bit of a barometer right now. Most in our fanbase think we should handle Tennessee rather easily, though we'll have to stop the run to get Grier back in the game to pick them apart. They're going to want to slow things down and grind things out on the ground. However the State game should be a true offensive showdown and the first time our defense is truly tested all year. To be honest we're confident that we can score on anyone in the country, it's more keeping them out of our endzone that's been the issue. If WVU can win in Raleigh it's likely to be a good season, if the defense shows it's legit vs what State can throw at us it could be a truly special season.

Reactions: Identity404

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Oh hey, time for way too early bowl predictions courtesy of College Football News.

Here they are for the ACC, SEC, and other assorted teams:

ACC
TeamBowlOpponent
Boston CollegeNot Bowl EligibleN/A
ClemsonOrange Bowl
College Football Playoff National Championship
Ohio State
Alabama
DukeMilitary Bowl presented by Northrop GrummanSouth Florida
Florida StateFranklin American Music City BowlArkansas
Georgia TechQuick Lane BowlPurdue
LouisvilleHyundai Sun BowlUtah
MiamiCamping World BowlOklahoma State
North CarolinaNot Bowl EligibleN/A
North Carolina StateWalk-On's Independence BowlMiddle Tennessee
PittsburghNot Bowl EligibleN/A
SyracuseNot Bowl EligibleN/A
VirginiaNot Bowl EligibleN/A
Virginia TechBelk BowlMissouri
Wake ForestNot Bowl EligibleN/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
SEC
TeamBowlOpponent
AlabamaCotton Bowl
College Football Playoff National Championship
Washington
Clemson
ArkansasFranklin American Music City BowlFlorida State
AuburnChick-Fil-A Peach BowlMichigan State
FloridaTaxSlayer Gator BowlNorthwestern
GeorgiaSugar BowlOklahoma
KentuckyNot Bowl EligibleN/A
Louisiana StateOutback BowlNebraska
MississippiNot Bowl EligibleN/A
Mississippi StateAutoZone Liberty BowlKansas State
MissouriBelk BowlVirginia Tech
South CarolinaCitrus BowlPenn State
TennesseeBirmingham BowlCentral Florida
Texas A&MAcademy Sports + Outdoors Texas BowlTexas Christian
VanderbiltNot Bowl EligibleN/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Other Assorted Teams
TeamBowlOpponent
Appalachian StateAutoNation Cure BowlTemple
East CarolinaNot Bowl EligibleN/A
West VirginiaValero Alamo BowlArizona
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Gotta love how after all the crap UNC has gotten away with in the past couple years without so much as a slap on the wrist, that they also managed to convince the NCAA to stagger player suspensions so it wouldn't hurt the team as a whole too badly...
Given the teams that they'll have to face this year, they pretty much had to, else they would be accessories to criminal assault against the UNC QBs.

I know a lot of people are caught up in the Miami hype train this year, and for good reason, but don't sleep on my Hokies. We have an experienced QB coming back, a WR/TE core that might be the most stacked we've ever had, an OL that should be a strength, and a RB position that should be much improved. Everyone is focused on the losses on defense, but its not like we are barren of talent. We have plenty of it, just young. Bud Foster has made less talented defenses good before.

Our toughest test this year is next week at FSU. After that, all our tough games (ND, GT, Miami) are at home, and the game at Duke might as well be at home. Its a schedule that sets us up for success, and don't be surprised if the game on November 17th against Miami is for the Coastal.

member 157595

Given the teams that they'll have to face this year, they pretty much had to, else they would be accessories to criminal assault against the UNC QBs.

I know a lot of people are caught up in the Miami hype train this year, and for good reason, but don't sleep on my Hokies. We have an experienced QB coming back, a WR/TE core that might be the most stacked we've ever had, an OL that should be a strength, and a RB position that should be much improved. Everyone is focused on the losses on defense, but its not like we are barren of talent. We have plenty of it, just young. Bud Foster has made less talented defenses good before.

Our toughest test this year is next week at FSU. After that, all our tough games (ND, GT, Miami) are at home, and the game at Duke might as well be at home. Its a schedule that sets us up for success, and don't be surprised if the game on November 17th against Miami is for the Coastal.

I'm an FSU fan. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you don't beat us this week.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As a Tech fan, I'd say we both have a fair amount of talent, but also a fair amount of questions. You have the edge being at home. We have the edge of our coach being more established at his school at this point. I get the feeling there might be a lot of young mistakes made. I could see the game going either way, but we probably both would have been better off if we could have had the soft part of our schedules first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad