The Official Memorial Cup Thread

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Something that must be unprecedented is that almost the entire Saint John team (15 players) has either been drafted by the NHL already (although De Serres can be drafted again) or are listed in the final Central Scouting list of prospects.

Drafted players
3rd round 2010 (WSH) Stanislav Galiev RW
6th round 2010 (STL) Stephen MacAulay LW
1st round 2009 (PIT) Simon Despres D
2nd round 2009 (NJD) Eric Gelinas D
7th round 2009 (VAN) Steven Anthony LW
3rd round 2008 (PHI) Jacob Deserres G

and 2011 prospects (with final central scouting rank for NA skaters):
3rd Huberdeau, Jonathan C
5th Beaulieu, Nathan D
15 Phillips, Zack C
20 Jurco, Tomas RW
44 Oke, Scott LW
47 Tesink, Ryan C
92 Bourret, Gabriel D
94 Kelly, Aidan C
124 Cameron, Jason C

For NHL scouts, any team has a reason to watch at least Saint John because no matter where they are picking and in what round, there is likely to be a reasonable pick from Saint John available.

For the opposite reason, is why I'm very intrigued with the Mississauga Majors (also because they're my hometown team). The Majors only have 7 players that have been drafted into the NHL. They're a team they relies on playing a very discipline, yet aggressive system. They're a team full of very good OHLer's that doesn't really have any 'star' to think of. It's refreshing in a world of the Windsor's, London's, Portland's, Saint John's etc., IMO.

Should be a great tournament, unfortunately the ticket prices are ridiculous so I won't be able to make the 10 minute drive to the Hershey Centre.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So are the games starting tomorrow or Saturday? I'm too lazy to go look.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I see Kootenay winning it. They essentially have two very good number one lines, solid D and great goaltending. I don't really see any weaknesses there.

Anything can happen in a short tournament though.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
Something that must be unprecedented is that almost the entire Saint John team (15 players) has either been drafted by the NHL already (although De Serres can be drafted again) or are listed in the final Central Scouting list of prospects.

Drafted players
3rd round 2010 (WSH) Stanislav Galiev RW
6th round 2010 (STL) Stephen MacAulay LW
1st round 2009 (PIT) Simon Despres D
2nd round 2009 (NJD) Eric Gelinas D
7th round 2009 (VAN) Steven Anthony LW
3rd round 2008 (PHI) Jacob Deserres G

and 2011 prospects (with final central scouting rank for NA skaters):
3rd Huberdeau, Jonathan C
5th Beaulieu, Nathan D
15 Phillips, Zack C
20 Jurco, Tomas RW
44 Oke, Scott LW
47 Tesink, Ryan C
92 Bourret, Gabriel D
94 Kelly, Aidan C
124 Cameron, Jason C

For NHL scouts, any team has a reason to watch at least Saint John because no matter where they are picking and in what round, there is likely to be a reasonable pick from Saint John available.

The scary thing is that the Kootenay Ice had to go through 2 teams that had a fair amount of prospects and/or drafted talent in Saskatoon and Portland and went a combined 8-1 versus those two.

Saskatoon - Drafted: Schenn, Viedensky, Nicholls, Hamilton, Elliott, Zahn, Morrison
Prospects for draft: Siemens, Stransky, Dietz

Portland - Drafted: Gabriel, Johansen, Niederreiter, Ross, Rutkowski, Cunningham, Aronson, Boychuk, Wrenn, Ponich, Carruth
Prospects for draft: Rattie, Bartschi, Morrow, Wotherspoon

That being said, I'm hoping that the Sea Dogs take out the Ice - there's a collection of Junior Hockey Junkies right now at the Memorial Cup that will let you know personally that Kootenay Sucks! :D

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The scary thing is that the Kootenay Ice had to go through 2 teams that had a fair amount of prospects and/or drafted talent in Saskatoon and Portland and went a combined 8-1 versus those two.

Saskatoon - Drafted: Schenn, Viedensky, Nicholls, Hamilton, Elliott, Zahn, Morrison
Prospects for draft: Siemens, Stransky, Dietz

Portland - Drafted: Gabriel, Johansen, Niederreiter, Ross, Rutkowski, Cunningham, Aronson, Boychuk, Wrenn, Ponich, Carruth
Prospects for draft: Rattie, Bartschi, Morrow, Wotherspoon

That being said, I'm hoping that the Sea Dogs take out the Ice - there's a collection of Junior Hockey Junkies right now at the Memorial Cup that will let you know personally that Kootenay Sucks! :D

Benson too! He'll be the 2nd Blade taken this June.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
Benson too! He'll be the 2nd Blade taken this June.

Good point, sorry about that! The cupboard is far from empty in Saskatoon despite giving up a ransom for Schenn and looking at the graduation of most of their NHL-talent this season.

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
NHL Network Begins Memorial Cup Coverage on Saturday.

NEW YORK (May 19, 2011) – For the fourth consecutive year, NHL Network US will
showcase the best teams in Canadian major junior hockey as they compete for a
National championship title at the 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament.
NHL Network US will feature a combination of live and tape delayed broadcasts during
the 10 days of competition from the tournament’s host city of Mississauga, Ontario.

Those teams challenging for the 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup include Western
Hockey League (WHL) champion Kootenay Ice, Ontario Hockey League (OHL)
champion Owen Sound Attack and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL)
champion Saint John Sea Dogs, plus the host team Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (OHL).

NHL Network US will air Rogers Sportsnet’s coverage of all tournament games
with the broadcast team of play-by-play man Peter Loubardias, analyst Sam
Cosentino and host Rob Faulds. All games will be broadcast in high definition.

Tournament coverage on NHL Network US will begin with two games on Saturday,
May 21. The first game will be at 9:00 am ET with the re-broadcast of the previous
night’s action between the Saint John Sea Dogs and the host Mississauga St. Michael’s
Majors. The second game will provide live coverage when the Owen Sound Attack
take on the Kootenay Ice at 7:00 p.m. ET.

Additional live game coverage will be added to the NHL Network U.S. schedule as the
NHL’s Conference Finals series conclude. Fans are encouraged to check the schedule
at www.nhlnetwork.com for updates.

All of NHL Network’s live broadcasts will feature intermissions originating from the
NHL Network studio in Toronto. NHL Network will also feature nightly Memorial Cup
coverage on NHL On The Fly with tournament news and notes and game analysis.

2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup on NHL Network US Schedule (All Times Eastern)

Saturday, May 21 - Saint John vs. Mississauga - 9:00 am ET - Tape Delay From 5/20.
Owen Sound vs. Kootenay - 7:00 pm ET - LIVE.
Sunday, May 22 - Mississauga vs. Kootenay - 7:00 pm ET - LIVE.
Tuesday, May 24 - Owen Sound vs. Saint John - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/23.
Wednesday, May 25 - Kootenay vs. Saint John - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/24.
Thursday, May 26 - Mississauga vs. Owen Sound - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/25.
Friday, May 27 - Tie-Breaker - if necessary - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/26.
Saturday, May 28 - Semi-Final - 1:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/27.
Sunday, May 29 - Championship Game - 7:00 pm - LIVE.

LaxSabre

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Can someone please get me some info on seeing the games near the Hershey Centre at the Fan Fest Zone or something? Are u-18s allowed in, etc?

Most fans are priced out of the tickets and the weather is hot so probably just gonna watch this on TV but it would be nice to at least find some info, it's hard to come by even for us Mississauga residents.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
I hate the Ice's logo.
I'll be rooting for a St John's/Majors final.

Can somebody give me an outline of the drafted players from the Majors/Who will likely be drafted this year?
Thanks

Joseph Cramarossa, a scrappy 6'1 center who's not afraid to drop the gloves vs anyone (fought Ryan Strome even)

Justin Rasmussen, 6'0 left winger, 20 pts in 33 games with 53 penalty minutes.

Mika Partanen, very good Finnish late rounder, tore up every level of play in Finland & made the national U18 team iirc, still adapting to the NA style of game.

Stuart Percy is one of the most underrated d-men in the OHL right now.

Dylan DeMelo's another guy who will fight anyone and anything. The majors are a fun team to watch.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ Stuart Percy (dman) and Joseph Cramarossa (centre) are the two main guys (plus a few others like DeMelo). Percy is expected to go late 2nd round and Cramarossa around 4th I think but both can be steals.

Percy's a very good defensive dman, was near the top of the league in +/-. He has good size, isn't physical though but has a good stick. Also, he has untapped offensive potential as he looks good when he joins the rush and the Majors system doesn't activate the dmen too much. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take him early 2nd round.

And Cramarossa isn't huge but he plays a fast and aggressive game, he can drop the gloves and he's a good skater. I think towards the later parts of the season, he looked good and based on that form, he might be a 2nd/3rd rounder but he didn't get much ice-time early on.

EDIT: The guy above just posted basically the same thing and he's accurate, Partanen has good skill but the consistency isn't there yet. I never really noticed Rasmussen much though and DeMelo is probably one fo the weaker dmen on the team but he's more physical than Percy.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Is there any way to watch this online?
I live in Sweden, but really want to watch it.

Not 100% sure but the Mem Cup website said something about having the games broadcast online at the website.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad