Oke - Gauthier - Tesink

Durepos - Despres
Gelinas - Beaulieu
Gagne - Bourret

DeSerres
Corbeil-Theriault

Anthony is gone for the tournament I think. :/

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Sea Dogs have 74 wins in 87 games this year (including playoffs of course)... :amazed:

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
I'm from Moncton, so I can't root for SJ.

Go Mississauga!

Yes, I know, I went to university close to Moncton (Mount A) and hoping for Saint John does put one in a quandry. For me it was between Kootenay (the underdog team) and Saint John (the underdog league). However in the end, I will feel better if the Q wins because there will be less needless putdowns of the league from the O and Dub guys. So, go QMJHL Seadogs (or QMJHL Seawolves if you are Craig Button). There that wasn't so hard!!!

GM17*

Hey Moncton, you USED to be Saint John's team in the Q and we cheered you on for years! Time to support the Sea Wolves for a bit! xD

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
Does anyone have a "tale of the tape" (age, height, weight avgs) for all of the 4 teams to compare? Being a fan of the 'Dub I know that the Kootenay Ice were the oldest team in the league and feature the following average breakdown:

Ht 73.27, Wt 192.41, Age 18.36, 5-17-yr-olds, 7-18-yr-olds, 7-19-yr-olds, 3-20-yr-olds

Interesting note: no imports or Americans on Kootenay's roster - Owner/GM Jeff Chynoweth's quote about the import draft:

It made something of a ripple when Jeff Chynoweth, the president and general manager of the Kootenay Ice, revealed almost a year ago that his WHL team wouldn’t take part in the CHL’s 2010 import draft.
“Although we have been fortunate in the past with the CHL import draft,†Chynoweth reasoned in a news release, “we feel that in this day and age it is becoming very hard to attract the top European players.
“Our team is eligible to return 19 players and there is no guarantee if we selected a player (in the 2010 draft) that he would be able to play in our top six forwards or top four defencemen.â€

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Does anyone have a "tale of the tape" (age, height, weight avgs) for all of the 4 teams to compare?

Eliteprospects lists those stats but probably include more players on the Kooteney roster than you used (since they reached other stats):

Team |Average Age |Average Height |Average Weight
Kootenay Ice (WHL) |18.79 years |185.08 cm (~ 6' 1") |83.21 kg (183 lbs.)
Mississauga St. Michael's Majors (OHL) |19.26 years |182.57 cm (~ 6' 0") |83.52 kg (184 lbs.)
Owen Sound Attack (OHL) |18.65 years |184 cm (~ 6' 0.5") |81 kg (179 lbs.)
Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) |18.88 years |184.29 cm (~ 6' 0.5") |81.29 kg (179 lbs.)

Last edited:

arsmaster*

I think a lot of people east of Saskatoon are going to be pretty surprised when they watch Kootenay in this tournament.

Absolutely stiffling to play against, their system locks the neutral zone up tight, and creates tons of counter-attacking chances.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them win this tournament running away.

I mean St John has a potent offense, but is it any more potent than Saskatoon's or Portland's.....I dont think it is.

I would love to see that as the Final, but I think St Mike's and Kootenay probably have the best systems in place to win. Owen Sound could very easily be there too.

I love when this tournament is as wide open as it is this year.

Berakos

Jan 29, 2010
Virginia
Prospects i'm interested in watching.

Kootenay Ice - Cody Eakin
Mississauga St. Majors - Brett Flemming
Saint John Sea Dogs - Stanislav Galiev

GM17*

I think a lot of people east of Saskatoon are going to be pretty surprised when they watch Kootenay in this tournament.

Absolutely stiffling to play against, their system locks the neutral zone up tight, and creates tons of counter-attacking chances.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them win this tournament running away.

I mean St John has a potent offense, but is it any more potent than Saskatoon's or Portland's.....I dont think it is.

I would love to see that as the Final, but I think St Mike's and Kootenay probably have the best systems in place to win. Owen Sound could very easily be there too.

I love when this tournament is as wide open as it is this year.

Weird why you wouldn't think it's at least slightly better.

SJ Goal Differential: +159
Sask: 97
Port: 76

You might think there's some "Q goalies are ****" bias to these stats, but I think outscoring them by 62 and 83 goals is probably statistically significant. Neat, the margin by which they outscored Portland is >1/2 of the total goals scored by some Q teams all season long lol

arsmaster*

Weird why you wouldn't think it's at least slightly better.

SJ Goal Differential: +159
Sask: 97
Port: 76

You might think there's some "Q goalies are ****" bias to these stats, but I think outscoring them by 62 and 83 goals is probably statistically significant. Neat, the margin by which they outscored Portland is >1/2 of the total goals scored by some Q teams all season long lol

I watch the WHL quite a bit, its a tougher league to score in from what I've seen.

Dont get me wrong, I have followed the St John for a couple years now and they are an excellent offensive team. I just dont think the goal differential speaks to how talented a team is, especially in a different league.

I know I saw a lot of box scores with lopsided scores with St John this year (7-1, 8-3, 6-1 type score lines).

Total goals would probably explain more, but still wouldnt tell the entire story.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Prediction: St John Sea Wolves vs Mississauga St Michael's Majors
Winner: St John Sea Wolves!

Tournament MVP: Jonathan Huberdeau or Stanislav Galiev

BTW, for those trying to compare teams with stats, just stop. You're wasting time because there will always be posters who will say this specific league is better, etc. Just enjoy the Memorial Cup and we'll see which team is the best of the CHL.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NHL Network Begins Memorial Cup Coverage on Saturday.

NEW YORK (May 19, 2011) – For the fourth consecutive year, NHL Network US will
showcase the best teams in Canadian major junior hockey as they compete for a
National championship title at the 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament.
NHL Network US will feature a combination of live and tape delayed broadcasts during
the 10 days of competition from the tournament’s host city of Mississauga, Ontario.

Those teams challenging for the 2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup include Western
Hockey League (WHL) champion Kootenay Ice, Ontario Hockey League (OHL)
champion Owen Sound Attack and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL)
champion Saint John Sea Dogs, plus the host team Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (OHL).

NHL Network US will air Rogers Sportsnet’s coverage of all tournament games
with the broadcast team of play-by-play man Peter Loubardias, analyst Sam
Cosentino and host Rob Faulds. All games will be broadcast in high definition.

Tournament coverage on NHL Network US will begin with two games on Saturday,
May 21. The first game will be at 9:00 am ET with the re-broadcast of the previous
night’s action between the Saint John Sea Dogs and the host Mississauga St. Michael’s
Majors. The second game will provide live coverage when the Owen Sound Attack
take on the Kootenay Ice at 7:00 p.m. ET.

Additional live game coverage will be added to the NHL Network U.S. schedule as the
NHL’s Conference Finals series conclude. Fans are encouraged to check the schedule
at www.nhlnetwork.com for updates.

All of NHL Network’s live broadcasts will feature intermissions originating from the
NHL Network studio in Toronto. NHL Network will also feature nightly Memorial Cup
coverage on NHL On The Fly with tournament news and notes and game analysis.

2011 MasterCard Memorial Cup on NHL Network US Schedule (All Times Eastern)

Saturday, May 21 - Saint John vs. Mississauga - 9:00 am ET - Tape Delay From 5/20.
Owen Sound vs. Kootenay - 7:00 pm ET - LIVE.
Sunday, May 22 - Mississauga vs. Kootenay - 7:00 pm ET - LIVE.
Tuesday, May 24 - Owen Sound vs. Saint John - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/23.
Wednesday, May 25 - Kootenay vs. Saint John - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/24.
Thursday, May 26 - Mississauga vs. Owen Sound - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/25.
Friday, May 27 - Tie-Breaker - if necessary - 12:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/26.
Saturday, May 28 - Semi-Final - 1:00 pm ET - Tape Delay From 5/27.
Sunday, May 29 - Championship Game - 7:00 pm - LIVE.

LaxSabre

Last edited:

RandR

May 15, 2011
Something that must be unprecedented is that almost the entire Saint John team (15 players) has either been drafted by the NHL already (although De Serres can be drafted again) or are listed in the final Central Scouting list of prospects.

Drafted players
3rd round 2010 (WSH) Stanislav Galiev RW
6th round 2010 (STL) Stephen MacAulay LW
1st round 2009 (PIT) Simon Despres D
2nd round 2009 (NJD) Eric Gelinas D
7th round 2009 (VAN) Steven Anthony LW
3rd round 2008 (PHI) Jacob Deserres G

and 2011 prospects (with final central scouting rank for NA skaters):
3rd Huberdeau, Jonathan C
5th Beaulieu, Nathan D
15 Phillips, Zack C
20 Jurco, Tomas RW
44 Oke, Scott LW
47 Tesink, Ryan C
92 Bourret, Gabriel D
94 Kelly, Aidan C
124 Cameron, Jason C

For NHL scouts, any team has a reason to watch at least Saint John because no matter where they are picking and in what round, there is likely to be a reasonable pick from Saint John available.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Something that must be unprecedented is that almost the entire Saint John team (15 players) has either been drafted by the NHL already (although De Serres can be drafted again) or are listed in the final Central Scouting list of prospects.

Drafted players
3rd round 2010 (WSH) Stanislav Galiev RW
6th round 2010 (STL) Stephen MacAulay LW
1st round 2009 (PIT) Simon Despres D
2nd round 2009 (NJD) Eric Gelinas D
7th round 2009 (VAN) Steven Anthony LW
3rd round 2008 (PHI) Jacob Deserres G

and 2011 prospects (with final central scouting rank for NA skaters):
3rd Huberdeau, Jonathan C
5th Beaulieu, Nathan D
15 Phillips, Zack C
20 Jurco, Tomas RW
44 Oke, Scott LW
47 Tesink, Ryan C
92 Bourret, Gabriel D
94 Kelly, Aidan C
124 Cameron, Jason C

For NHL scouts, any team has a reason to watch at least Saint John because no matter where they are picking and in what round, there is likely to be a reasonable pick from Saint John available.

You forgot Corbeil ;)

Also, Joseph Manno who was cut from camp last year (don't know if he attended this year) is ranked by some organizations too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad