The Official Matt Calvert Appreciation Thread

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Before an ex-Jacket can get a pre-game video at Nationwide, they have to get an appreciation thread at HFB CBJ.

Matty, for me, has been Blue Jackets hockey for a number of years. Never mattered to me who was more skilled or faster or bigger... Matty's competitiveness, love of the game and apparent ability to rise to a big occasion endeared him to me and, I'm sure, to many of you and the rest of CBJ nation.

I'll take the obvious highlights. Peace out, Matty.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Couldn't have asked more than what he gave to the team and the fans the entire time he was here.

Wishing him the very best of luck in Colorado. :clap:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If the guys with more ability played with his effort and hustle level the Jackets would have been a lot better team. We will miss him. Hope he does well with the Avalanche. :clap:

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Not sure why this post isn't at 5 pages of comments yet.
Matty Ice has been the best of Jackets Hockey for a long time. He defines "Heart and Soul" Even though I knew FO was not going to re-sign him, no one can deny that he has earned his payday, and is worth every penny.
Favorite memories:
  • Fighting Rick Nash on his first game back at NWA with the NYR (because of the Bob tussle)
  • his sandpaper D (along with Dubi) versus Crosby in the playoffs
  • puck-to-face to GWG versus NYR
  • breaking stick over Kuhnhackl (low point)
  • Playoff GWGs
You will be missed, Matty. All the best to you in Colorado.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Matt-Calvert-teeth.jpg

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
I lurk quite often, but I never post. But I would personally feel bad for not saying how much Calvert has meant to this team and franchise. His ability to spark something out of nothing for us for years goes above and beyond what almost anyone else has done for this franchise. Ill miss my ginger brother, carry on bud, good luck in COL.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
When my oldest son got a jersey a few years back, he got it with "Calvert" and "11" on it, as that was his favorite player. When he outgrew it, his younger brother wore it with pride. Now, they've both outgrown it and Matty Ice is moving on. Thanks for the memories, Matt - best of luck in Colorado.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Did he say anything about wanting to be part of a winning culture? No, that is why I like him. Met him a couple of times. Really nice guy.

Best memory: Puck to the head, then score GWG. That is classic NHL, not just limited to the CBJ.

Worst memory: Kuhnhackl hit and suspension. That was disgraceful.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Will miss Matty Calvert. He was excellent at what he did. Now, 2 of my hockey jerseys have become outdated.

Look forward to the tribute video and applause he receives when he returns to Nationwide.

I just realized that 5 of my 6 CBJ jerseys are now outdated. The only current CBJ player is a Jenner game worn jersey that my dad gave me to me after I sold my other Jenner game worn jersey for a profit.
Johansen-gone. Calvert game worn jersey, Calvert 3rd jersey
Goloubef game worn jersey
William Karlsson game issued 2015 ASG. Bought it for 225 dollars. You couldn't buy a authentic or replica for that cheap. Thought he had some good potential to be a solid NHL'er so I figured it was a good investment. Never foreseen this kind of offensive outbreak. Now, it's fun to wear to Nationwide

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As I said in the final days of the year and playoff time I wanted him here while a large majority wanted to keep Vanek at his expense. I 100% understand him leaving for more ice time though and he will always be welcomed back and I assume like letestu he will where the union blue at least 1 more time.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Matt Calvert had a hat trick of short handed goals when he played for the Wheat Kings. He is the kind of player that when you learn that he once scored 3 short handed goals in one game, your reaction is “I could see him doing that.” My favorite Jacket over the last few years.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad