The Official Marc Bergevin Thread

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Is it just me or when he talks english it's like listening to Louis from Ville Mercier? :laugh:

I read somewhere that he speaks English and French like they're both his second language. I think it's pretty close.

Bergevin made a very interesting trade for Ryder but I feel like it was Nieuwendyke who made the initial contact. Bergevin has a very well placed team, and with Timmins' many upcoming draft picks we're well placed.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Good signings in the off-season. The Ryder trade so far looks good.
Bergevin said he'll always be on the lookout to improve the team. I believe him. And while he's been good at hiding what his next moves are, he's showing that there is potentially things coming up. I'm just glad that we know, he's constantly trying to improve the team.

He also seems to have surrounded the team with personnel that have a good attitude. He's not the cold iron handed tyrant that Gauthier was.

But I'll reserve my final judgement for a while. Still looking forward to what he can do for us.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
With clearing all this cap space, you gotta believe he is looking for serious offensive talent.

I remember him and Dudley kept talking about the need to getting some top line scoring talent on the team.

Perry :) :) :) ***dreaming

But I like that he believes in the young players coming up in the system, said that one of the reason why he hired Therrien was because he had success with young players, and I know that Dudley is really likes Tinordi, and Beaulieu, remember hearing him say that Tinordi will be a player that plays 25min a game. I won't be surprised if Tinodri is on the team by end of the year, but almost 100% he starts next year in MTL, MT already said he was the toughest cut this year.

Also wouldn't be Gionta gone by next year, he hasn't been good this year, but and getting a little too much heat, the guy has been a great signing, take into account his playoff games, before the start of the year, he scored 77 goals in 200 games as a hab, thats over 30 per 82 games. But I think like with Cole, Bergevin rather spend 5M on someone else.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wasn't sure what to make of the hire and still don't but can't complain with the way things have gone so far. I like how he addressed a weakness in the farm system by improving for next season by going from a Mayer-Delmas duo as our 3rd and 4th goalies, to Tokarski-Delmas or whatever they have in mind.

While not a huge move for the organization since we have a young star in nets but I think it's a big step up by getting Tokarski and good asset management to take a player you got for free and a pending UFA to boot for a legit goalie prospect.

Bringing in Prust was a smart move as well, really like the addition.

I also liked his cap management move with the Cole trade. He frees up cap space on a contract that could have been a problem down the road and gets a 1 year stop gap in a player that has scored a lot of goals the past couple seasons (right up there with Pac) plus a top 90 pick as the Habs could do a lot of interesting things for their future in the last 2 drafts between '12 and '13 as 2012 is looking great so far and having 6 of the top 90 picks could yield some good things for us hopefully.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So far, so good...
Love the move he has made over the summer and this season.
As for the next move, or the next step:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) /
Travis Moen ($1.850m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) /
Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)

OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $47,368,333; BONUSES: $2,485,000
CAP SPACE (15-man roster): $19,416,667

This is the players under contract for next year......and he got about 17 millions in cap space....wich i would used as this:

1- Second goalie (Budaj, Garon?): $1.5M
2- 7TH defensemen (Prospect, Tinordi, Bouillon): $1.25M
3- 8th or 14th forward (Blunden, Dumont, UFA): $0.75M
4- 4th line center (Dumont, Noke, White, UFA): $0.95M
5- 4th line wingers (Blunden, Armstrong, UFA): $1M
6- 13th forward (Prospect, UFA): $0.75M

And now for the good stuff:

7- Top 6 quality winger (Perry, Clowe, Clarkson, Iginla?) : $6M
8- 3rd-4th defensemen: $3.15M

Big total of: $15.35M
Which leave Bergevin with about 2 millions of cap space and a full 23-man roster

I would keep than plans....the downside, trade DD for picks or another good prospect. but we had a top 6 winger and a good D

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't think I would want Clowe for 6 million and I don't think Perry will sign for less than 7. Iginla isn't bad, but he isn't exactly getting any younger...

The name's are just reference....
$6M to find the best top 6 winger available, if he cost less...than it's a good thing (Put the money on a better D or better second goalie). I would'nt give Clowe $6M either.

Some Teams will have to let go good players just to fit under the cap
Some teams will never give big contract (Financial problems)

Lots of players available this summer, and not much money to go around...wouldn't be surprise to see some players get sign under market value (Perry : 6-6.5 for 7-8 years seems not to far from reality to me)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
With clearing all this cap space, you gotta believe he is looking for serious offensive talent.

I remember him and Dudley kept talking about the need to getting some top line scoring talent on the team.

Perry :) :) :) ***dreaming

But I like that he believes in the young players coming up in the system, said that one of the reason why he hired Therrien was because he had success with young players, and I know that Dudley is really likes Tinordi, and Beaulieu, remember hearing him say that Tinordi will be a player that plays 25min a game. I won't be surprised if Tinodri is on the team by end of the year, but almost 100% he starts next year in MTL, MT already said he was the toughest cut this year.

Also wouldn't be Gionta gone by next year, he hasn't been good this year, but and getting a little too much heat, the guy has been a great signing, take into account his playoff games, before the start of the year, he scored 77 goals in 200 games as a hab, thats over 30 per 82 games. But I think like with Cole, Bergevin rather spend 5M on someone else.

Perry would be best case scenario...but I wouldn't expect it. Let's be serious, he could be off the market LOOOONNNGGG before July 1st or he could want to play for a big US market meaning we'd need a ridiculous(7 years and 60-65 mil) offer to get him...which would make it a bad deal long term.

Most years there are 2-3 big name UFA's and 30 NHL teams so figure out the odds.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Bergevin wants to build this team through the draft. That is great news, especially since we have a great number of picks in the first 3 rounds this year, in an apparently very, very deep/phenomenal draft, and we have Timmins, who usually has a good percentage of efficiency on his picks.

He also looks like he's opened to improving his team on the short term if the price is right, and is opened to look out on the UFA market to find key pieces to peg in holes all around our roster.

To me, this next draft is going to be very important in which way this team is about to go. I'm confident in Bergevin, but also in Dudley, an experienced NHL administrator, and all the team he surrounded around him. You need to have a team around you in this job, not be a one-man show such as Gauthier.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not really sure how anyone could really have any complaints so far. Is Prust a tad bit overpaid? Yes, but he's clearly a player we needed and he's already a fan favorite.

I wasn't a fan of the Bouillon signing, but I'd be lying if I said he hasn't been solid back there for the majority of the season so far.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would keep than plans....the downside, trade DD for picks or another good prospect. but we had a top 6 winger and a good D

As always.
The name in the back is more important than the logo in the front.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Good so far, but too early to make any conclusion. So far he has made two somewhat risky moves: making Subban wait, and trading Cole. The first one went to his favor, we still don't know about the second.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Good so far, but too early to make any conclusion. So far he has made two somewhat risky moves: making Subban wait, and trading Cole. The first one went to his favor, we still don't know about the second.

I disagree.

Neither of those two moves were risky. Subban was bluffing and Bergevin let him know who is the boss in Montreal.

Cole was not into "playing" hockey this year. It was glaringly obvious that he was floating and not hustling like the rest of the team. It would have been risky to keep a player like that.

There's a new culture in town. And I am liking it very much so far.

Pigems*

I think it's time MB gets a nickname. Any suggestions? The Negotiator? Magic Marc? I'm sure you guys can do much better lol :)

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Drouin > Desharnais.

Yes Drouin will be better than Desharnais but, you will not get Drouin with the Calgary pick they would finish higher than third worst with the help of Desharnais. Monahan or Shinkaruk would be more realistic. That would be probably a good long term move but it reduce the chance to win the Stanley cup this year.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I think it's time MB gets a nickname. Any suggestions? The Negotiator? Magic Marc? I'm sure you guys can do much better lol :)

Pigems, you crazy.

I like you cause you crazy.

Post a picture. I'm going to start the post a picture pigems thread.

Who are you, you crazy mo-fo.

How about Bergy as a nickname. anything beats "The Goat"

Pigems*

Pigems, you crazy.

I like you cause you crazy.

Post a picture. I'm going to start the post a picture pigems thread.

Who are you, you crazy mo-fo.

How about Bergy as a nickname. anything beats "The Goat"

I'm your mom's favorite poster ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->