The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread - Part Drou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Do you guys really believe that Drouin would be a gamechanger? I see him as a great guy, but he's really young and kinda inexperienced. That Forsberg mention shows us a lot. I also believe he would show us some highlights but could he defend?

You need guys that can score but you have to think about their defensive abilities - just look at dallas - seguin is a total offensive star, but I don't think he's as two-way as Palát, Cally or Flip.

You've got to think about your dressed players as a two dimensional problem.

However, I do believe he should play

The thing is that we don't know but looking at the other young guys playing like Bennet for Flames and Kuznetsov for The Caps he deserves the chance to at least try and who knows, maybe just like them he could be a great and set up every goal we needs but it is tricky and hopefully Cooper have handeled it well so he isn't sitting up there angry or worried that he made some mistake that keeps him there. If I were Cooper I would have put Drouin and Vladdy in every other game from the start to give them both some playoff experience.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Imagine if we had a well-rested Drouin exploding into the offensive zone and giving Stamkos time to get in position to fire on the Rebel base...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do you guys really believe that Drouin would be a gamechanger? I see him as a great guy, but he's really young and kinda inexperienced. That Forsberg mention shows us a lot. I also believe he would show us some highlights but could he defend?

You need guys that can score but you have to think about their defensive abilities - just look at dallas - seguin is a total offensive star, but I don't think he's as two-way as Palát, Cally or Flip.

You've got to think about your dressed players as a two dimensional problem.

However, I do believe he should play

In a sheltered role, I think he can play for sure. But we also have to consider that he's our prized prospect, a potential franchise player, and Cooper really didn't do his development any favors all year.

I didn't want Drouin in for Game 7, but in a Game 1, when the other options are Brown, Namestnikov, and Morrow, it's not like any of those guys are going to be game changers either. So when all else is equal (except age) I'd like to see us err on the side of developing a guy for the future. It doesn't do anybody any good to have him getting out of game shape in the press box.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
You can't keep sheltering him. Eventually, he has to ****ing play. He is a top 3 pick. He is a great offensive talent. Let him shine! **** you Cooper for thinking everyone has to be a two-way grinder. No! Let Drouin do his thang. Shelter him? Ok, so when do you stop that? Oh nit this year! And then next year is well, he doesn't have much playoff experience blahhhhhh. It's ****ing dumb, we all know it's ****ing dumb, we all know Cooper is ****ing dumb for keeping him out and he just needs to play. If he's on the team, then he shouldn't be that much of a liability, right? Play the kid! Instead of **** ass Paquette who is awful (bleeeccchh), Namestniwhatever who blows dog, and Morrow who is old as dirt. Cooper is a **** coach.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
The most hilarious thing in not playing Drouin at all is the fact that his substitutes, Morrow and Namestnikov, are playing 5-8 mins a game.

Surely someone could take those Es minutes and Drouin could just be used to help our god.****ing.awful. PP?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The most hilarious thing in not playing Drouin at all is the fact that his substitutes, Morrow and Namestnikov, are playing 5-8 mins a game.

Surely someone could take those Es minutes and Drouin could just be used to help our god.****ing.awful. PP?

That's all I'm saying too. Does Coop view that, giving him PP time immediately, as special treatment for a rookie? If so, he needs to get his head out of his a**.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sit Vlad for Dru, put Dru on the PP and give him the occasional ES shift for the surprise factor on either the 1st or 3rd line. If he does well, good, play him more. If not, it's not like Vlad's 5 minutes on the ice have been a game changer. Everybody's happy.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Not only that, but it burns out the rest of the forward units, too, because those extra minutes that the 4th line isn't playing have to go somewhere. It's poor strategy. There's no use in dressing Morrow if you aren't going to ever have him skate. There's nothing Morrow does at this point that Drouin can't do, other than take stupid penalties.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Quick synopsis for those who can't listen right now?

Almost exactly what those of us criticizing Coop for scratching Drouin have said, minus the criticism of Coop, right down to the fact that we have two grinders playing on our top line. And also some stuff about how we might be in a better position if we'd drafted Jones, since we wouldn't have had to trade for Coburn then, and we're not using the offensive player we drafted.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Almost exactly what those of us criticizing Coop for scratching Drouin have said, minus the criticism of Coop, right down to the fact that we have two grinders playing on our top line. And also some stuff about how we might be in a better position if we'd drafted Jones, since we wouldn't have had to trade for Coburn then, and we're not using the offensive player we drafted.
Thanks!

JS91

May 14, 2014
Well at least Cooper did confirm that Drouin will play this series. I have my money on the second half of the back to back @ home. Hopefully he can take advantage of everyone else being tired and really show up forcing Cooper to play him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think I said it in the GDT for game 1: The plan could be to have Drouin return to the lineup when everybody else is tired and banged up. Call it surprise factor or secret weapon. Kinda like Brown got more TOI in OT after warming the bench for most of the 3rd period IIRC. They are both crazy fast. Brown is more physical but Drouin got the hands and IQ.

Personally I would prefer us to ice the best possible lineup instead though. This means Dru should be in the lineup. Period. Especially now that we have more room and space out there than against Detroit who clogged up the middle of the ice like stupid and played 90's style hockey to a t. Montreal is different and one of our best offensive players should be out there taking advantage of it.

Both teams sucks on the PP. Drouin makes us better on ES and at least gives us a shot at improving our miserable PP against a team with an even worse PP.

Logic wins. #FreeDrouin

PS: Part Droui of this thread coming soon.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I heard Mckenzie on the rado live talking about Drouin.

Basically he said because Drouin is a french Canadian skilled player, he is like Guy Lafleur. He has a tremendous amount of pride and confidence in himself and his frustration level with not being given a chance will be through the roof.

They talked about how Drouin is the only member of the elite of his draft class to be sent back to junior and now players like Sam Bennett are having success in the playoffs while Drouin is in the press box for it all.

They said Steve Yzerman might remind him that there was a time when Pavel Datsyuk was eased into things and played on the 4th line, but concluded that won't go far with Drouin because he's pissed at not even getting a chance to prove himself.

Then they talked about other players who were perceived as one dimensional players or defensive liabilities who were let go by their teams to go onto hall of game careers. Mentioned a then goal starved Calgary Flames team didn't want to give a young slow defensive liability guy a chance so he went on to St. Louis...Brett Hull. Mentioned a few more examples, Tyler Seguin being the latest example and mentioned that everyone they mentioned were doing it on a team other than the one who drafted them.

Last edited:

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I think I said it in the GDT for game 1: The plan could be to have Drouin return to the lineup when everybody else is tired and banged up. Call it surprise factor or secret weapon. Kinda like Brown got more TOI in OT after warming the bench for most of the 3rd period IIRC. They are both crazy fast. Brown is more physical but Drouin got the hands and IQ.

Personally I would prefer us to ice the best possible lineup instead though. This means Dru should be in the lineup. Period. Especially now that we have more room and space out there than against Detroit who clogged up the middle of the ice like stupid and played 90's style hockey to a t. Montreal is different and one of our best offensive players should be out there taking advantage of it.

Both teams sucks on the PP. Drouin makes us better on ES and at least gives us a shot at improving our miserable PP against a team with an even worse PP.

Logic wins. #FreeDrouin

PS: Part Droui of this thread coming soon.

Unfortunately though, I fear it won't matter.

Drouin is not in the line up because Cooper doesn't have confidence in him.

Fans think play Drouin with Stamkos (and yes the fans may be right!) and give him PP time to fix what is not working) but the sad truth is that's not going to happen because if Cooper thought that, he would already be in the line up.

He's not in because Cooper doesn't like him. And now with the more attention this gets and the bigger story it gets, the more Cooper will have to defend his decision. He's not about to throw Drouin in and give him top line minutes or else everyone will say Cooper was an idiot for sitting Drouin out.

Coaches are idiots who hurt their team with their pride and stubborn nature.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I ******* hope so. If we burn bridges with this kid by not playing him over Brendan ******* Morrow I'm going to rip my hair out.

McKenzie talking as Drouin, also said "if you don't think I can play, fine, I think there's 29 other teams who I believe think I can play for them so trade me there."

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I just don't get the benefit of playing Vlad over Drou. Haven't from Game 1 of the Detroit series. Pacquette I get - he's big, he's physical, and he PKs. Morrow I can kind of rationalize - veteran, big body, takes up for teammates.

Vlad is small, weak on the boards, not an offensive nor defensive contributor. At the absolute worst, Drouin will be even - but more than likely his skill will shine through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad