Player Discussion: The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread: Part 5

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I kind of wonder what normal practice is in that situation. I'd have to think that there is existing case law on rounding and performance bonuses.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There has to have been precedent but losing 200k~ over 0.04 points is tough to swallow, glad he got most of it.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
There has to have been precedent but losing 200k~ over 0.04 points is tough to swallow, glad he got most of it.
Yeah the only thing that confuses me with that is Lightning counsel would *have* to know the precedent there, so if they're settling they clearly knew how the ruling was going to come out.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah the only thing that confuses me with that is Lightning counsel would *have* to know the precedent there, so if they're settling they clearly knew how the ruling was going to come out.

I guess I do understand the reasoning behind declining it, even if it does make them look like penny pushers they want the league to be approving these rounding issues not the organization, as stingy as it looks it's better than handing out a bonus then having to recall if it the league sees this as a violation. Even if they knew it was going to get overruled in arbitration at least they can say they followed the contract by the book, it stated .73PPG and bonuses are typically only handed out in full or none at all.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I guess I do understand the reasoning behind declining it, even if it does make them look like penny pushers they want the league to be approving these rounding issues not the organization, as stingy as it looks it's better than handing out a bonus then having to recall if it the league sees this as a violation. Even if they knew it was going to get overruled in arbitration at least they can say they followed the contract by the book, it stated .73PPG and bonuses are typically only handed out in full or none at all.
Eh - I don't care about the optics. This is a business dispute.

Just odd - there must have been some legitimate complaint because you know Drouin is going to go to arbitration here. I wouldn't advise (for instance) pitching much of a fight to the point where you *actually* end up in front of the arbitrator if you don't have at least a good case.

Maybe I'm wrong and there isn't actually good precedent here, but that just shocks me because Drouin isn't the first rookie to end up close on performance bonuses. For instance - I wouldn't be shocked if Hall tried to dispute the post-season all-star designation when Ovechkin was voted both 1st and 2nd all-star a few years back.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Eh - I don't care about the optics. This is a business dispute.

Just odd - there must have been some legitimate complaint because you know Drouin is going to go to arbitration here. I wouldn't advise (for instance) pitching much of a fight to the point where you *actually* end up in front of the arbitrator if you don't have at least a good case.

Maybe I'm wrong and there isn't actually good precedent here, but that just shocks me because Drouin isn't the first rookie to end up close on performance bonuses. For instance - I wouldn't be shocked if Hall tried to dispute the post-season all-star designation when Ovechkin was voted both 1st and 2nd all-star a few years back.

Probably just didn't want to pay him, 200k goes a long way for a un-profitable team in a non-hockey market looking to fill the seats every night ok.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Who says SFY and Vinik can't be petty?

"The settlement was for 90 percent of a $212,500 bonus. The disagreement revolved around a provision in Drouin’s entry-level contract saying he needed to average at least .73 points per game for the bonus to kick in. After getting 53 points in 73 games last season, it looked like Drouin earned it. The Lightning, however, believed Drouin fell short because his points-per-game average was .726 when taken to another decimal point."
Lightning journal: Settlement reached with Jonathan Drouin over contract bonus

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Who says SFY and Vinik can't be petty?

"The settlement was for 90 percent of a $212,500 bonus. The disagreement revolved around a provision in Drouin’s entry-level contract saying he needed to average at least .73 points per game for the bonus to kick in. After getting 53 points in 73 games last season, it looked like Drouin earned it. The Lightning, however, believed Drouin fell short because his points-per-game average was .726 when taken to another decimal point."
Lightning journal: Settlement reached with Jonathan Drouin over contract bonus

Well. We know SFY is cold-blooded even with players he likes.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Lets not kid ourselves on this one. The fact that Drouin and his agent had caused Yzerman plenty of grief thru the years and that ill will was a plausible scenario for the Bolts to try and avoid paying the bonus! I loved Drouin the hockey talent on the ice but am glad that we have moved on from all of the drama he caused off of it. And to consider that we got Serg back in return just makes it all sweeter!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
lol what, let's not kid ourselves no organization is going do something like that and make themselves looks spiteful. I'm betting something else was at play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->