The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 3, Still Drinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Did a cheap owner pick Lindholm over Monahan? Or Fleury over Nylander/Ehlers? Or Hanifin over Provorov/Werenski/Rantanen? Or Bean over McAvoy? etc...

EDIT: I realize this has the benefit of hindsight, but that applies to EDM as well to some extent. No doubt, they have WAY more top picks than the Canes did over the past 10 years so it's not exactly apples to apples, but our team has been mired in mediocrity for 10 years now.

Look at JRs thoughts on the draft, he was more prepared to trade the pick and hardly made an investment in drafting, which the philosophy changed under RF.

The Hanifin pick was the conscience pick except those who picked Provorov or Were, Prov was even said to be the most ready, and Hanifin was the most raw in talent. In hinesite I’d take Provorov every time.

Fluery is still projecting and was a position of need at the time, had we know Pesce and Slavin was going to be studs.

But looking at Edmonton, outside of the 1st round, their draft picks are bad, we’ve had more nhl talent out of the later rounds then they’ve had.

Reactions: Breakdowns

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to you or any other mod, but there's a lot of stuff that certain fanbases get away with on here that others can't. I don't believe that same kind of asshattery would be allowed if it wasn't collectively coming from one of the larger fan presences on here. Which, I mean, I totally get, you can't put the screws on a presence that large.

You're not wrong. But there are way more of those fans of those teams than us.

It is what it is.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
We'd probably have to take on a cap dump for this to work to get us over the cap floor if we were doing a Faulk-Poolparty trade. Sadly Oilers don't seem to have any good candidates on that aside from Lucic which, yeah **** him and his contract. I wouldn't trade Faulk for Lucic even if they threw Poolparty in as a sweetener.

Well if they need to get to the cap floor after unloading all these contracts...why not Lucic to get there? He could be on the 4th line and just skate around being nasty to the other team, which I'm sure he's still good at.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Well if they need to get to the cap floor after unloading all these contracts...why not Lucic to get there? He could be on the 4th line and just skate around being nasty to the other team, which I'm sure he's still good at.

The issue with Lucic is less about the cap hit than the NMC. Unless the NMC can be removed or he will sign off on being exposed prior to the trade, he has to be protected in the next expansion draft, which means a better player has to be exposed to Seattle.

If trading for Lucic means having to protect him, I'm against that deal under any circumstance.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

NMC and the expansion draft. If he didn't agree to give up the NMC, we'd have to protect him at the Seattle expansion over some other eligible forward that can still play hockey.

Edit: What @Chrispy said.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Originally, I thought to myself, ahh cmon the contract can't be THAT bad...

He's still got a cap hit of $6m per year over the next 5 with a full NMC until 2021-22 season, when its only a modified one. Of that $30m, he's still owed $24m in real life dollars. Oof, not good. That's the kind of contract that could seriously hamstring us when it comes to locking up all our young players over the next few years.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
For me, the bigger issue with Lucic is that he's a 30 year old power forward coming off of a 34 point season. For a younger player, you could easily write that off as an outlier and place value on his bounceback upside. That combination of age and player type, however, leaves you feeling uneasy about what's in store for his future; 17-18 could be the start of a decline that makes what is an affordable contract for a budget team, a cancer in the future. There's too much risk there to view him as anything other than a cap dump that a team in this market should only consider if it's offset, at least in part, with negative value contract going back the other way (i.e. Darling.)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
For me, the bigger issue with Lucic is that he's a 30 year old power forward coming off of a 34 point season. For a younger player, you could easily write that off as an outlier and place value on his bounceback upside. That combination of age and player type, however, leaves you feeling uneasy about what's in store for his future; 17-18 could be the start of a decline that makes what is an affordable contract for a budget team, a cancer in the future. There's too much risk there to view him as anything other than a cap dump that a team in this market should only consider if it's offset, at least in part, with negative value contract going back the other way (i.e. Darling.)
Adding to that, while he's never been a good skater for someone that played that style he's REALLY slowed down over the past couple years. He was drug to his production 2 years ago by being stapled to McDavid, and his fall following that was quite expected once he was off his wing. Last thing we need is a pylon making 6 million a year putting up 20-30 points. I mean I detest Tom Wilson but at least that goon can actually skate.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Look at JRs thoughts on the draft, he was more prepared to trade the pick and hardly made an investment in drafting, which the philosophy changed under RF.

The Hanifin pick was the conscience pick except those who picked Provorov or Were, Prov was even said to be the most ready, and Hanifin was the most raw in talent. In hinesite I’d take Provorov every time.

Fluery is still projecting and was a position of need at the time, had we know Pesce and Slavin was going to be studs.

But looking at Edmonton, outside of the 1st round, their draft picks are bad, we’ve had more nhl talent out of the later rounds then they’ve had.

How does any of those excuses matter in this discussion? Canes haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, and consensus or not, we missed on a lot of our 1st round picks and made up for it with Aho, Slavin and Pesce in the later rounds. That's not really much different than Edmonton hitting on their 1st round picks and missing later on..thus the "those in glass houses" statement.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
How does any of those excuses matter in this discussion? Canes haven't made the playoffs in 10 years, and consensus or not, we missed on a lot of our 1st round picks and made up for it with Aho, Slavin and Pesce in the later rounds. That's not really much different than Edmonton hitting on their 1st round picks and missing later on..thus the "those in glass houses" statement.

They made the playoffs 1 time in that span, after winning mcjesus.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But historical references, picking 1st oa multiple times in a row typically leads to a contending team. Pitt, Hawks...

When did those teams draft 1st OA multiple times in a row? And all drafts are not created equal.

Look, I’m not saying Edmonton has been well managed, because they haven’t been. We’re just in no position to throw stones as we haven’t been either.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
When did those teams draft 1st OA multiple times in a row? And all drafts are not created equal.

Look, I’m not saying Edmonton has been well managed, because they haven’t been. We’re just in no position to throw stones as we haven’t been either.

Not 1st OA multiple times. But in a four year span Pittsburgh got to draft Fleury 1st, Malkin 2nd, Crosby 1st, and Jordan Staal 2nd. So basically almost 1OA multiple times.

Chicago not so much. But they did get to take Kane 1st & Toews 3rd in back to back years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->