The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 3, Still Drinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I can see the Oilers being more interested in him now than they were earlier in the offseason, but their desire is just one part of the equation. What do the Oilers have to offer? Edmonton has a depth problem up front; the drop-off in production from their 3rd highest scoring forward, Nugent-Hopkins, and their 4th highest scoring forward, Lucic/Strome, was 14 points and that’s with RNH missing 20 games. Trade RNH for defense and the Oilers could have an Art Ross winner, but a bottom 5 team offense, if the PP doesn’t improve enough to offset the loss in forward scoring.

If Waddell is looking for a hockey trade, he won't find there. It would have to be a prospect, draft pick or young player that has yet to establish himself. What’s the appetite for moving anything of quality? They’re not good enough to take on the risk of moving an unprotected 1st. The Oilers desperately need Puljujarvi to pan out to fill out the forward group. All that’s left is Yamamoto, if the Oilers are even interested in moving him. They don't have an abundance of quality expendable assets.

The other consideration is that Faulk’s NTC kicked in on July 1st. Getting prime minutes on a PP with McDavid could help him put up the numbers that score him a big UFA contract, but it necessitates living in Edmonton. It’s not a slam dunk that he would want to go there.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I can see the Oilers being more interested in him now than they were earlier in the offseason, but their desire is just one part of the equation. What do the Oilers have to offer? Edmonton has a depth problem up front; the drop-off in production from their 3rd highest scoring forward, Nugent-Hopkins, and their 4th highest scoring forward, Lucic/Strome, was 14 points and that’s with RNH missing 20 games. Trade RNH for defense and the Oilers could have an Art Ross winner, but a bottom 5 team offense, if the PP doesn’t improve enough to offset the loss in forward scoring.

If Waddell is looking for a hockey trade, he won't find there. It would have to be a prospect, draft pick or young player that has yet to establish himself. What’s the appetite for moving anything of quality? They’re not good enough to take on the risk of moving an unprotected 1st. The Oilers desperately need Puljujarvi to pan out to fill out the forward group. All that’s left is Yamamoto, if the Oilers are even interested in moving him. They don't have an abundance of quality expendable assets.

The other consideration is that Faulk’s NTC kicked in on July 1st. Getting prime minutes on a PP with McDavid could help him put up the numbers that score him a big UFA contract, but it necessitates living in Edmonton. It’s not a slam dunk that he would want to go there.
The reality is we'd want RNH and the Oil would counter w/Puljujarvi or Yamamoto and a pick. Knowing that what Big Daddy Cane posted above as the truth, it really puts them in a rough spot. They have little to no depth in their farm system up front. Could the hope be that they look at a lesser blueliner to shore things up? Could a Fleury or TVR fill the void?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Poolparty and a pick for Faulk? I'd do it in a heartbeat. Having a long term forward core of Aho, TT, Svech, Necas, Poolparty, plus whatever we can get out of Zykov, Foegele, and the other AHLers combined with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, deHaan, and Fleury, Fox (assuming he signs) Bean, etc on the blueline? Yeah, maybe this year could be a minor step backwards, but you're setting things up for a long sustained stretch of legitimate contention with a core like that.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Poolparty and a pick for Faulk? I'd do it in a heartbeat. Having a long term forward core of Aho, TT, Svech, Necas, Poolparty, plus whatever we can get out of Zykov, Foegele, and the other AHLers combined with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, deHaan, and Fleury, Fox (assuming he signs) Bean, etc on the blueline? Yeah, maybe this year could be a minor step backwards, but you're setting things up for a long sustained stretch of legitimate contention with a core like that.

If that deal is actually on the table, I take it and sprint away.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It would simultaneously be so wrong and right to make a move that puts together two pieces from the vaunted WJC Laine-Aho-Pulju line.

I'd do it just to see the feigned indignation on the trade board.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If we're talking Poolparty, I might even take a portion of the assets acquired for Skinner (maybe the 2nd or Pu) and sweeten the deal.

But maybe that's just me desperate to acquire all the great-but-not-quite-elite young talent in the league right now
We'd probably have to take on a cap dump for this to work to get us over the cap floor if we were doing a Faulk-Poolparty trade. Sadly Oilers don't seem to have any good candidates on that aside from Lucic which, yeah f*** him and his contract. I wouldn't trade Faulk for Lucic even if they threw Poolparty in as a sweetener.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can't see the Oilers parting with RNH or Poolparty at all. Their forward depth is terrible after McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH.

Assuming Puljujarvi pans out, that gives them 2 really high end guys, 2 good top 6 players and a whole bunch of meh. Lucic, Strome, Caggiula, Rattie, Rieder, Kassian, Brodziak? That's pretty ugly if Lucic doesn't bounce back.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's crazy that a team that was so bad for so long and was rewarded for their futility with a potential all-time great, has a roster that looks so mediocre.

People put the blame almost exclusively on Chiarelli's shoulders and that's unfair, imo. I won't defend the particular moves he made, but being forced into a position to augment his team by bringing in talent external to the organization to accelerate an extended rebuild is not on him. The Oilers’ scouting staff under previous regimes did not do a good job on the 2nd day of the draft.

In the 6 drafts under Tambellini and MacTavish (2009-2014), the Oilers selected in the 31-100 range 23 times. The player with the most games played from that crop is Anton Lander. Look beyond that range and the leader is Tobias Rieder, who played those games for Arizona and L.A.

Even just a single 2nd liner or 2nd pairing defenseman generated from all of those picks changes the decision making process of many of these moves.

Edmonton shows that while the high picks are of central importance, poor drafting on the 2nd day can neuter rebuilds even that bear top-end talent.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Was? I'll only believe that is in the past until I see Dundon prove it.
shun-the-nonbeliever.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We was handicapped by a owner who was cheap. They was mismanaged from hell.

Did a cheap owner pick Lindholm over Monahan? Or Fleury over Nylander/Ehlers? Or Hanifin over Provorov/Werenski/Rantanen? Or Bean over McAvoy? etc...

EDIT: I realize this has the benefit of hindsight, but that applies to EDM as well to some extent. No doubt, they have WAY more top picks than the Canes did over the past 10 years so it's not exactly apples to apples, but our team has been mired in mediocrity for 10 years now.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I remember when Edmonton winning the rights to draft McDavid caused these boards to melt down and shut down, that was funny. Probably not for the mods though.

Hey at least he's out West. Bad enough we have to deal with Crosby and Ovechkin, Tavares too once upon a time.
No, no it wasn't.

However as a non-Oilers fan mod I gotta say the team going back to being utter shit IS pretty fun considering the utter asshattery their fanbase collectively showed.

I'd like to think how we and, yes, Buffalo fans acted when they won the generational talent level dman they've needed and we've won the potentially elite level forward we've needed should be how all fanbases should react to that sort of thing. Not even 5% the amount of dickishness about the whole thing in comparison to either the Oilers getting McDavid or the Leafs getting Matthews. Probably not even 1%.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No, no it wasn't.

However as a non-Oilers fan mod I gotta say the team going back to being utter **** IS pretty fun considering the utter asshattery their fanbase collectively showed.

I'd like to think how we and, yes, Buffalo fans acted when they won the generational talent level dman they've needed and we've won the potentially elite level forward we've needed should be how all fanbases should react to that sort of thing. Not even 5% the amount of dickishness about the whole thing in comparison to either the Oilers getting McDavid or the Leafs getting Matthews. Probably not even 1%.
I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to you or any other mod, but there's a lot of stuff that certain fanbases get away with on here that others can't. I don't believe that same kind of asshattery would be allowed if it wasn't collectively coming from one of the larger fan presences on here. Which, I mean, I totally get, you can't put the screws on a presence that large.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
In the 6 drafts under Tambellini and MacTavish (2009-2014), the Oilers selected in the 31-100 range 23 times. The player with the most games played from that crop is Anton Lander. Look beyond that range and the leader is Tobias Rieder, who played those games for Arizona and L.A.

I've read the thinking went, "Okay, we got our skill guy on day 1, now let's get our bottom 6 grinder/enforcer!" A big slow guy who already had problems keeping up with the comp in juniors.

They were the final team drafting for dpe hockey, as late as 2014. Trading the pick which became Barzal for griffin reinhart, a big, slow "gritty" dman is another example of this thinking.

if nothing else, the Glorious Leader is trying to get ahead of the curve. let's hope he's prescient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad