Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I mean Drake is sure losing the publicity battle for hip hop heads/the culture but hes winning the mainstream battle which everyone knew would happen. He took an L and is still top of the charts, very similar to McGregor doing his press tour right now. McGregor got beat the f*** up but everyone is treating him as if he won.

That being said Drake is winning the psychological battle vs Kanye. That man is losing his damn mind and a lot of it IMO is due to Drakes subliminals. He’s playing it perfectly and winning the battle vs Kanye without even saying anything

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I mean Drake is sure losing the publicity battle for hip hop heads/the culture but hes winning the mainstream battle which everyone knew would happen. He took an L and is still top of the charts, very similar to McGregor doing his press tour right now. McGregor got beat the **** up but everyone is treating him as if he won.

That being said Drake is winning the psychological battle vs Kanye. That man is losing his damn mind and a lot of it IMO is due to Drakes subliminals. He’s playing it perfectly and winning the battle vs Kanye without even saying anything
That's not winning any battle it just means that he's big enough to still be able to sell despite it. It's like if Amazon's stock took a hit. Bezos is still rich enough that it won't matter but it doesn't mean he had a winning week. Drake's done zero damage to Pusha T so the McGregor comparison isn't close. Plus he lost his Adidas deal bc of Push so he did get his money f***ed with.

Also, Kanye's bipolar and is admittedly off his meds...that doesn't have much to do with Drake. This is the most Drake-centric view I've read.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Music that reinforces a culture that glorifies crime/jail/degradation of self..
I mean, that's one perspective. Others, including those from the early days, have said they're just reporting on their environment; explaining what they see around them. And that can have value in showing the rest of the world what it's like in areas outside of their own.

As for the "molly percocet" kind of stuff, not everyone can be a Kendrick, a Cole, a Joey Badass, or even a Denzel Curry. Just like not every college kid can be a Mark Zuckerberg. Environment is a powerful influence. For some, they won't make it out of those conditions. So let them get their paper. If there are some that can't distinguish entertainment from reality, or choose to listen to the latter voices and tune out the former (it would be a different story if the former didn't exist) then there are bigger problems than poor people trying to get money in one of the few ways they can that don't involve them selling drugs, getting shot, or working a dead end job in prejudicial conditions. It's up to broader society to work on fixing the infrastructure around them so that the coming generations won't have to make the same choices. But for now, they're making a better life for themselves and doing what they need to do to survive, and ensuring the same for their kids. Who are we to judge them?

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I mean, that's one perspective. Others, including those from the early days, have said they're just reporting on their environment; explaining what they see around them. And that can have value in showing the rest of the world what it's like in areas outside of their own.

As for the "molly percocet" kind of stuff, not everyone can be a Kendrick, a Cole, a Joey Badass, or even a Denzel Curry. Just like not every college kid can be a Mark Zuckerberg. Environment is a powerful influence. For some, they won't make it out of those conditions. So let them get their paper. If there are some that can't distinguish entertainment from reality, or choose to listen to the latter voices and tune out the former (it would be a different story if the former didn't exist) then there are bigger problems than poor people trying to get money in one of the few ways they can that don't involve them selling drugs, getting shot, or working a dead end job in prejudicial conditions. It's up to broader society to work on fixing the infrastructure around them so that the coming generations won't have to make the same choices. But for now, they're making a better life for themselves and doing what they need to do to survive, and ensuring the same for their kids. Who are we to judge them?
I don't think there is another music genre/form of entertainment out there that so heavily influences developing minds in such a negative way. It breads selfishness and the destruction of communities from which many of these "artists" are held as demigods. This form of Rap music was designed to be like this and the stuff that is created to make you think gets in the way of that.

The way they used to report things were done in an introspective way. Glorifying it because it is life is the opposite.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I don't think there is another music genre/form of entertainment out there that so heavily influences developing minds in such a negative way. It breads selfishness and the destruction of communities from which many of these "artists" are held as demigods. This form of Rap music was designed to be like this and the stuff that is created to make you think gets in the way of that.

The way they used to report things were done in an introspective way. Glorifying it because it is life is the opposite.
That doesn't address any of the points I made. Plus you're assigning causality to the music. There's been problems in black communities long before this generation of rappers, so saying that it breeds the destruction of communities seems backwards to the available evidence; it's rather a reflection of the destruction. Rappers are reporting on what they're seeing and it's up to broader society to make changes to the infrastructure so that there's no more destruction. These problems won't go away if these rappers all started rapping like Kendrick and Cole - the problems are systemic.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That's not winning any battle it just means that he's big enough to still be able to sell despite it. It's like if Amazon's stock took a hit. Bezos is still rich enough that it won't matter but it doesn't mean he had a winning week. Drake's done zero damage to Pusha T so the McGregor comparison isn't close. Plus he lost his Adidas deal bc of Push so he did get his money ****ed with.

Also, Kanye's bipolar and is admittedly off his meds...that doesn't have much to do with Drake. This is the most Drake-centric view I've read.

Listen I know drake has taken the L vs pusha all day. IMO that has never been the real battle though, it’s been Kanye v Drake for a while now and Drake is pushing Ye to the edge without rapping a bar. But Drake is always winning I don’t know how you can argue that lol. He took a culture L but buddy is taking Ws everywhere else. McGregor got his ass kicked and is flaunting it like he won, basically what Drake has been doing since the Pusha beef

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Listen I know drake has taken the L vs pusha all day. IMO that has never been the real battle though, it’s been Kanye v Drake for a while now and Drake is pushing Ye to the edge without rapping a bar. But Drake is always winning I don’t know how you can argue that lol. He took a culture L but buddy is taking Ws everywhere else. McGregor got his ass kicked and is flaunting it like he won, basically what Drake has been doing since the Pusha beef
Drake made it the real battle because he couldn't handle Pusha. It's like beating down a dude's friend who just beat the shit out of you because you know you can't take the guy.

Of course Drake has a great career, that's never in question. But that's immaterial to his rap battle vs Pusha T, which is what we're discussing here. Again, it's like if Amazon has a bad quarter. You're not gonna say "Amazon didn't lose the quarter bc Amazon is rich as hell and has been winning for years." Of course Amazon is rich as hell and will be fine. But that doesn't mean they didn't lose the quarter. It would be impossible for Pusha to bankrupt Drake. But he did as much damage as he possibly could have to a guy who did the equivalent of throwing a jab (Duppy) then doing the "hold me back" from his friends.

If you're saying DRAKE is like McGregor bc he's passing things off like he won then I misunderstood and I feel you on that part.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Kanye isn’t even on his meds. I don’t think it has much to do with Drake himself. The dude just isn’t taking his meds.

It’s dumb to argue Drake’s mainstream attraction, but when we look back, this 6 month block (from Infrared to the Budden podcast) will be a huge black mark on his legacy, from not responding to Pusha’s diss, to then claiming he made a track so bad that he didn’t release because he didn’t want to be remembered for that and lying that Kanye gave Push the info, to Push revealing he got the info from a woman that got it from 40.

We all know Drake’s response doesn’t exist. In today’s time it would have leaked in an instant. He has nothing because he was exposed.

He’s obviously still a mainstream star, but from a legacy standpoint in pure hip-hop, this is a giant L and mark on his legacy. And now he can’t respond. Pusha exposed him even more than Adidon did, with the audio of Drake trying to get info on Pusha for $100,000 and the 40 info.

Reactions: Mach85

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Kanye isn’t even on his meds. I don’t think it has much to do with Drake himself. The dude just isn’t taking his meds.

It’s dumb to argue Drake’s mainstream attraction, but when we look back, this 6 month block (from Infrared to the Budden podcast) will be a huge black mark on his legacy, from not responding to Pusha’s diss, to then claiming he made a track so bad that he didn’t release because he didn’t want to be remembered for that and lying that Kanye gave Push the info, to Push revealing he got the info from a woman that got it from 40.

We all know Drake’s response doesn’t exist. In today’s time it would have leaked in an instant. He has nothing because he was exposed.

He’s obviously still a mainstream star, but from a legacy standpoint in pure hip-hop, this is a giant L and mark on his legacy. And now he can’t respond. Pusha exposed him even more than Adidon did, with the audio of Drake trying to get info on Pusha for $100,000 and the 40 info.
Drake's been trying to re-direct the narrative the entire time, but the problem is that Push has receipts. Anyone stumping for Drake at this point is just a Stan, because it's not he said - he said; there's actually evidence for one side of the story. Drake had no problem beefing before until he got in a fight he couldn't win. Then he tried to change the narrative to "I'm not that kind of guy."

He also tried to make it look like Kanye was his opponent the whole time, but 1) he's been going back and forth with Pusha for years and Kanye hadn't given him one bar, and 2) Pusha has exposed several times that Drake's timeline doesn't add up and that he's outright BS'd about a few things. Pusha was even gonna let it go and leave him be, but then Drake had to try to salvage his rep by spreading lies on LeBron's show, so Pusha let him have it on the Joe Budden Podcast.

Drake either has to stop beefing and indeed not be that guy, or take his Ls like a man when he loses a scrap. Meek took his licks and moved on.

Reactions: holy

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That doesn't address any of the points I made. Plus you're assigning causality to the music. There's been problems in black communities long before this generation of rappers, so saying that it breeds the destruction of communities seems backwards to the available evidence; it's rather a reflection of the destruction. Rappers are reporting on what they're seeing and it's up to broader society to make changes to the infrastructure so that there's no more destruction. These problems won't go away if these rappers all started rapping like Kendrick and Cole - the problems are systemic.
No but it would influence a generation in a more positive way. Rap music is a tool to market the shit out of shit. It reinforces and promotes negative stereotypes. Back in the day the music was more sophisticated as a whole.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
No but it would influence a generation in a more positive way. Rap music is a tool to market the **** out of ****. It reinforces and promotes negative stereotypes. Back in the day the music was more sophisticated as a whole.
If that were true then what we see today wouldn't be happening. It used to be that the majority of rap was conscious shit. Music is more a reflection of reality. It's chicken and the egg and the egg comes first, but you're focusing on the chicken.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
ah shit, there's a book coming out and in it will detail the beef with Drake/Kendrick.

There was an interview where Drake said Kendrick only makes music for people in Compton and if he was with the "shits" Drake was down to get crackin

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
ah ****, there's a book coming out and in it will detail the beef with Drake/Kendrick.

There was an interview where Drake said Kendrick only makes music for people in Compton and if he was with the "****s" Drake was down to get crackin
lmao randomly, it's Marcellus Wiley's book, the former NFLer. Apparently Drake asked his team to get Wiley to shelve the interview before it could be aired. Says the footage still exists somewhere in the bowels of ESPN studios. Drake don't want that Kendrick smoke. Kenny will bar him to death but has the mainstream reach that Pusha doesn't to put a big dent in him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

A great documentary on how rappers can create a better culture than the one they are in.

Watch Hip Hop Evolution S02E03 WEB x264 CRiMSON mkv

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Honestly the people who think music is dictating how people live are being naive. There's a reason people like this kind of music. Question why the youth (especially the young men) feel so disenfranchised and angry and try and fix that problem in the real world.

A lot of young men just don't have father figures growing up. It's apparent af in the music. Music is just a small, albeit great, part of culture. It'll never be more valuable than our personal relationships, no matter how easy it's become to run and confide in music.

Reactions: Mach85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad