Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: Part VX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Coloring Book is legit one of my favourite albums and... The Big Day is... so bad. Like it actually hurts my soul that that's what he came out with. It has zero heart and feels like he just slapped a bunch of random happy tracks together and called it a day. I only cared for the intro track.

It feels like he went for Kidz Bop rapping. It's bad.

Also whoever green lit the beat for "Hot Shower" LOL. Goddamn. Middle schoolers make something like that in 5 minutes on an online beats maker they search for on google.

Reactions: irunthepeg

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
That's why I never messed with Chance, always thought he was whack. The whole independent thing really rubbed me the wrong way. Like bro you're taking Instagram pics with Madonna on the come up. Cappin ass.

Anyways, DaBaby and Stunna really are taking over my playlist right now. Stunna really adds a nice dimension to the songs he's on with Baby who sometimes sounds too predictable to me.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Melon head gave Chance’s album a 0/10 hahahahahhaha even Revival got a score

I wonder how many positive reviews for this garbage from critics are coming because they fear for their jobs after the MTV dude got fired because Chance’s ego was crushed over a bad review.

I never really f***ed with him to the point where I’d go relisten to his music. He had some good older stuff though, but this downfall is worse than Logic’s which was gradual, and worse than Em’s which was also gradual but also just letting the game pass by him / getting complacent. I never looked at Chance the same way after the MTV thing and then he doubled down by telling a fan to go eat a dick because he didn’t like one of his singles.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Melon head gave Chance’s album a 0/10 hahahahahhaha even Revival got a score

I wonder how many positive reviews for this garbage from critics are coming because they fear for their jobs after the MTV dude got fired because Chance’s ego was crushed over a bad review.

I never really ****ed with him to the point where I’d go relisten to his music. He had some good older stuff though, but this downfall is worse than Logic’s which was gradual, and worse than Em’s which was also gradual but also just letting the game pass by him / getting complacent. I never looked at Chance the same way after the MTV thing and then he doubled down by telling a fan to go eat a dick because he didn’t like one of his singles.
I didn't make it all the way through, but it was so perplexingly bad that I thought there had to be something else to it, like it was some type of meta-commentary for an artist going downhill once they put out a studio album or something. I liked Coloring Book, and, while not a huge fan, I thought Chance was at least decent, but this thing almost sounds like it's intentionally bad, even though I know that's not the case.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

His album is amazing. I can't believe he's only 21, this album is so polished from the lyricism, singing, features and production. If he can take that next step and put together a solid concept album, it's a wrap.

If I'm a betting man, he's the guy from this new generation to rise to the top.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Cordae in YBN seems so weird to me. I kind of like Nahmir and Almighty Jay for basic trap to bump every once in a while, but Cordae is on a completely different wavelength. Reminds me a bit of Earl in Odd Future to start.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
His album is amazing. I can't believe he's only 21, this album is so polished from the lyricism, singing, features and production. If he can take that next step and put together a solid concept album, it's a wrap.

I agree. He is ridiculously talented and his album is fire.
I dont know why but in interviews he reminds me of dusty from stranger things lmao

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
When I first heard YBN Cordae's opening verse on Kung Fu I thought this guys the real deal. He's really the only guy out of the new hiphop artists I see having longevity.

Reactions: irunthepeg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah I was also never a Chance fan. Guy just seems too soft for me, to start with. The whole nice guy act or whatever.

The hot shower blah blah whatever garbage on that album is some of the worst shit I’ve heard. Any one of us could’ve came up with that.

Lillard’s Album > Chance’s

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Him and Joyner are both dope, so either of them could reign at the top, though Joyner may become more of cultural favorite than mainstream.

I've only heard a few songs off YBNs album but they're all legit. If you can hang with Pusha you got talent.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Him and Joyner are both dope, so either of them could reign at the top, though Joyner may become more of cultural favorite than mainstream.

I've only heard a few songs off YBNs album but they're all legit. If you can hang with Pusha you got talent.

Joyner is the better MC but YBN is on another level as an all-around artist, imo. Hard to say on how marketable of a personality he's going to be, so I don't know if he'll ever have mainstream appeal.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017

to be honest I thought this song was going to be trash by the thumbnail......

issa banger though

This definitely found its way on my playlist.

Yo so is anyone a Melly fan at all? Like lil bro is kind of the best artist since Thug imo. Iunno if he'll ever see the light of day, but hopefully that's the end of the reign of demonic ass artists.

Everyone big is dead, in jail or cooled off considerably.

Wonder what the next new wave will be. I'm thinking melodic but super talented with a good story. Guys like A Boogie and PNB were very quietly winners of the past few years, but they're not all that interesting.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
This definitely found its way on my playlist.

Yo so is anyone a Melly fan at all? Like lil bro is kind of the best artist since Thug imo. Iunno if he'll ever see the light of day, but hopefully that's the end of the reign of demonic ass artists.

Everyone big is dead, in jail or cooled off considerably.

Wonder what the next new wave will be. I'm thinking melodic but super talented with a good story. Guys like A Boogie and PNB were very quietly winners of the past few years, but they're not all that interesting.
Murder on my mind or whatever it was is decent but I can't say I had any desire to look into him further. I get that we gotta separate artists from their music but with Melly it's just too much for me.

I still think there's talent in the game. Depends on what you like ofc. I know you're more of a new school aesthetic kind of guy so we prob won't agree on who's still doing it. Out of the newer guys (1-2 albums), Denzel has a lot left in him, Vince Staples, Travis, Joey Bada$$. And then out of the vets there's Kendrick, Royce (who IMO is one of the most underrated rappers of all time), Pusha, Cole, I think A$AP has another massive album in him at least, Drake is always gonna be there. I'm sure others will take the next step, maybe someone like JID, Cordae was mentioned, even one of the baby's lol. I'm surprised you didn't list Blueface, he seems like a guy you'd be on.

Just off the top of my head and I'm sure I've left guys out.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Joyner is the better MC but YBN is on another level as an all-around artist, imo. Hard to say on how marketable of a personality he's going to be, so I don't know if he'll ever have mainstream appeal.
YBN makes songs that can transistion to commercial success. He reminds me a bit of J Cole with the way he intertwines singing and rapping. I don't think Joyner has that mass appeal. He may go down as one of the greats, but his songs aren't as catchy as YBN's. He's a beast on the mic and has good subject matter, but that doesn't always translate to success unless you can bring it all together with a catchy hook.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Murder on my mind or whatever it was is decent but I can't say I had any desire to look into him further. I get that we gotta separate artists from their music but with Melly it's just too much for me.

I still think there's talent in the game. Depends on what you like ofc. I know you're more of a new school aesthetic kind of guy so we prob won't agree on who's still doing it. Out of the newer guys (1-2 albums), Denzel has a lot left in him, Vince Staples, Travis, Joey Bada$$. And then out of the vets there's Kendrick, Royce (who IMO is one of the most underrated rappers of all time), Pusha, Cole, I think A$AP has another massive album in him at least, Drake is always gonna be there. I'm sure others will take the next step, maybe someone like JID, Cordae was mentioned, even one of the baby's lol. I'm surprised you didn't list Blueface, he seems like a guy you'd be on.

Just off the top of my head and I'm sure I've left guys out.
I forgot about JID. He's def getting that 'he's the next ones' attention since he's under Cole's wings, and has a lot of talent. I personally never really cared for him, but I recognize he can rap. He reminds me way too much if Kendrick, though I've only heard a handful of songs from him. I'm also not a huge fan of that 'rap fast with a lot multi-syllable' rhymes. Just not my cup of tea.

I'm a huge fan of KRIT and Jay Rock, though I doubt either of them get the attention of the rap Dons like Cole, Kendrick, Drake, etc...lots of talent out there for sure. Even Big Sean can bring it every now and then.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I forgot about JID. He's def getting that 'he's the next ones' attention since he's under Cole's wings, and has a lot of talent. I personally never really cared for him, but I recognize he can rap. He reminds me way too much if Kendrick, though I've only heard a handful of songs from him. I'm also not a huge fan of that 'rap fast with a lot multi-syllable' rhymes. Just not my cup of tea.

I'm a huge fan of KRIT and Jay Rock, though I doubt either of them get the attention of the rap Dons like Cole, Kendrick, Drake, etc...lots of talent out there for sure. Even Big Sean can bring it every now and then.
KRIT is definitely underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad