The official fire tortorella thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarretJoseph*

I'd shoot myself if this team hired Mike Keenan. It's his fault we were one and done in the mid 90's, it's his fault Mike Gartner doesn't have a ring, and we won the Cup despite Keenan.

Guy's a complete and total nutjob. Makes Torts look like a helpless kitten.

And yet without Keenan we still wouldn't have won a cup. We got the cup. Let's be thankful for that. Move on.

No way do I fire Torts. No freaking way. How about signing Brian Leetch to help teach these guys how to run a power play?

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Why stop at firing him? Lets have him drawn and quartered by elephants when the circus comes to town.

Torts is not the problem. Changing half of your team and almost no camp is the problem.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
No one should be fired, not Torts, not Sullivan, no one. They have struggled. Sullivan is great with the defense. Torts knows how to motivate his team. But they do need help with this PP. I don't know what they are going to do but they really need to consider a special teams coach. A 4:00 minute power play in the 1st period. Asham drew a penalty before that as well. You need to score on those. This team needs to score first and get ahead. It seems like we've been behind all year.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The team will turn it around game 10-48. Torts turns it around and is loved by all again.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I have a performance review coming up with my manager in a couple of weeks.
Last year, I identified what I would do, by when. Some of those goals had measurements, such as improve this metric by this much, by this time.

It makes me wonder if they do that at the NHL level. Probably not, but an ambitious Ranger coach could exceed expectations in a performance review by simply increasing the Powerplay efficiency by even one percentage point.

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that NYR Powerplay success has been sliding since 2009, a steady path to the very worst. Someone tonight on the GDT stated that NYR indeed had nowhere further to fall in ranking, only in percentage, which I am sure they will.

I'm saying do not fire Tortorella. I am saying that things cannot proceed the same way. I used to laugh at the jokes about refusing the man advantage, but now it is the blackest of humour.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
No way Torts should be fired, but they need to think about bringing in someone new to coach the power play if they cant turn it around. Its almost hard to believe that a powerplay with Richards, Gaborik and Nash can look this bad. I remember last year Brooks wrote an article about how Torts should hire Leetch to coach the pp.. It doesn't have to be Leetch, but a new voice with some different ideas might help.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Personally I don't think a 48 game season which started 2 months late should be used to decide the future of any key personnel, but at the end of the day I don't really care who coaches the Rangers as long as they can get results at least similar to what Torts has achieved with them thus far

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Figured id get the ball rolling

Yeah, nine games into a no training camp, lockout-shortened season, let's fire the coach that took the team to the conference finals last year.

MOD

(And this is coming from a not particularly huge Tortorella fan)

Last edited by a moderator:

wr50l

Nov 5, 2011
My concern is that the team might tune him out soon. I definitely don't want him fired, he has done more than enough here to deserve a chance to sort out the little things that are holding us back. But as time goes on ...

Heyoooo*

Its time to adjust to the talent level Torts.

Everyone remember Gaborik's first year here and DZ, and when he tried "Safe is Death", 7 game W streak then we sucked?

Thats when the current system started. It was only to compensate for the lack of talent.

Well here we are now, loads of talent, and hes still using that system. Time to wake up Torts. Adjust the system. We shouldnt be ****ing dumping and chasing here fella. We should be a puck-possession team, all-out open offense.

Dont need to wear the team out, blocking shots either when you have a Vezina goaltender.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Last year we were 3-3-3 after nine games.

we're presently 4-5.

That's right. This year is off to a better start than last year.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Well the there is nothing like starting a thread like this to bring out the Torts apologists in droves,,:naughty:

Just kidding, kind of

This thread is premature
That is definitely correct

However there are troubling signs

The main three I can think of are:

The lack of adaptation to find the optimal style of play that the kind of talent that this team now possesses compared to last years success. This is a definite coaching issue. But this takes more than 9 games to find, especially with a shortened season and a glimt of a training camp. What I find are big problems at even strength play is that we are not playing the system we adapted to with glaring success last year. Shotblocking has been less effective as we are not positioned the same way as before (a time issue with a big player turnover?), there is a gap in the defensive zone that makes us not control the situation as before. Our transition game is no good either. But that is hardly news. We start most games terribly as well. Which was not the case last year. But what I think is maybe the main fault here is that the coaching staff is not getting any kind of dividends from the players strengths. That has to end.

Number two is that the players seem scared, hesitant and a bit reluctant. They do not seem happy or focused. They know that the consequences - for most players at least - are dire from the coach - if they make the smallest boo boo. The three exceptions seemed to be Miller, Powe and Kreider last night, and they are pretty green in the room and lineup still. Ferriero was a fresh breath of air too when he came up too. Are the players getting Tortsified into which they by fear of failure are playing into this system in reluctance and which they are not 100% sure of and not really adapted to playing from the start? What about the plethora of unnecessary bench penalties? Who is actually in charge of the bench? The overriding of certain Torts favorites - that have not been up to task has also been a real big issue that really wore us down last year. When Cally returns and if all are healthy, that should not be an issue (especially if we find one more defenseman) as the team depth looks a lot better now. We saw a bit of better coaching here last night too, at least out of this aspect. What about trying to tactically match other teams coaching for once? Have not seen much of that,,,Thinking of obvious blunders like the Kreider and Hagelin farces at Torts pressers. Coaching like this in the end gets pretty tiresome and the players will in the end tune you out. It is inevitable. But I am not saying that is the case now (yet), but that this is the ending to every saga such as this.

The power play. Abyssmal. Disaster. A total farce considering the individual skills that these players possess. The dump and chase here is a farce. Nobody is the designated playmaker (especially on the 1st constellation) that is to set upthe play. a bunch of grinding in the corners, sloppy aimless passing and perimeter play is its signature. This is 100% on the coaching. And like Joe surprisingly said yesterday "The special teams will be the downfall of this team unless they get it together here". Is that so hard to understand?

Can it be fixed this year? Sure it can.But it takes insight, new startegy and some self critical thinking to do it. I think
Will it be fixed? Truly hope so, as it can be fixed...

Last edited:

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Last year we were 3-3-3 after nine games.

we're presently 4-5.

That's right. This year is off to a better start than last year.

If your numbers are right, they had 9 points last year and this year 8 points. How is this year better than last?

Also, in a shortened season, you need to get points whenever you can. The Rangers this year seem to be falling behind by 2 or 3 goals in a game and therefore can't tie it up to send into OT for a point. Last year the team seemed to be in every game and therefore were able to pick up a point here or there.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Did somebody really suggest Mike Keenan? Good god thank god some of you people have nothing to do with the management of the Rangers. God bless.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
No way should Torts go, this thread is premature, however there are true concerns with how the talents are being managed at the moment BBkers made some good points.

This team is just trying to find itself, and having some growing pains that are associated with new personnel. The lockout didn't do us any favors in this regard. I think the players are playing tentative, and Torts is calling them out for it, but I can't help believe he's causing the tension on some levels.

As was said before, we have the skill now where we can play a more puck possession game. does. Torts and his Ass. Know how to do this?
Torts said recently that we're " overthinking" and hockey is reactive...
If that's going to be his approach from here on on we're going to have problems.

I remember when he used to tell the media " we're not a good hockey team". I didn't like hearing it but accepted it because we didn't have enough firepower

I feel like he's still coaching the way he did 2 yrs ago.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Not sure if this thread was serious or in jest...but Torts isn't going anywhere, nor should he. That said, he really needs to fix the power play. Saying it's an embarrassment is an understatement.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
sky-is-falling.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->