The official FIFA 17 thread

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I've pretty much exclusively played the Journey so far, I'm liking that side of the story although I wish the dialog choices were a bit more nuanced than just a choice between more fans and manager approval.

As far as gameplay goes, the linkup play is miles better than FIFA 15 and the off the ball runs are dramatically improved. I also liked the additional granularity in player ratings assigned during the games. Good series of passes or a good run, even if it results in nothing, will increase your rating for the game. In past years it always felt like if you didn't score or at least assist, you were bound to have a rating around 6.5 or 7 at the absolute highest. Now it feels like I can solidly get into the 7s by playing all around good football and creating a couple chances.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Playing a manager career and the AI still makes weird transfers. United already have Ibra and Rashford but sure enough in the first transfer window they go out and buy Kane and Lukaku for 136 million dollars combined.
Haha in mine they bought Suarez for 120 million euros. I was like wtf... never.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I think I skipped a year or possibly two with fifa. This game seems great so far. I always used to change game speed to slow as I like the the traditional build up of play, I like how they've done that on their own now.

Sep 19, 2008
I didn't mind, I never read them anyway. "GLobal scouting report." Ignore :laugh:

This game seems to be pretty advanced now and again the AI won't let you just hold down R2 and sprint past everyone. They are a lot more determined to tackle and stop you. Lost 1-0 on Semi Pro :amazed:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It's all about setting runs and sending through balls to the runners.

Also you can score quite a bit with the finesse shot just outside of the box.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I didn't mind, I never read them anyway. "GLobal scouting report." Ignore :laugh:

This game seems to be pretty advanced now and again the AI won't let you just hold down R2 and sprint past everyone. They are a lot more determined to tackle and stop you. Lost 1-0 on Semi Pro :amazed:

Yeah I started with Manchester United. During the first transfer window, I bought Messi, Verratti, and Scuffet. My team wins like 4-0 because I just send Mkh or Martial through balls and then cross it in to Ibra who drops it to Messi or scores himself.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The game is very hard at least at world class level.

I tried to come back for 1 goal back and the cpu were blocking me near the corner flag preventing me with 4 players from any crosses or passes. It was frustrating but very effective. EA did the game properly this year. I'll have to completely revamp with how I play to win games. Counter attacking is also very hard (which was my bread and butter in previous fifa). The lowly ranked teams like to sit defensively and not show any break in their defense.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Finally all the practice pays off. You have to make adjustments from how you previously played this game, yes, it's mostly passing now to set up the big play. And you have to get used to that. But once you get used to it it all breaks out

3-0 now USA over France, training in the women's international cup. No Jill Ellis though :shakehead

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I love Reus as a player, but why the hell is he on the cover? He hasn't really done anything the last couple years and has a serious injury to keep him out until 2017 this campaign.

I don't really care about the cover since FIFA's covers are a big pile of **** with like 9 players on every version. Then you have like a different player for each region, which makes it hilarious. Not only that, you have Messi being on it like 10 times making it meaningless. But like there is nobody who is better than Reus that honestly couldn't be on the cover instead? Lewandowski? Alexis? De Gea? Neuer? Griezmann? Aguero? Neymar? Finally don't even get me started on Marco's horrible tattoo design.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don't say this in a braggy way, because i'm not good at any video game other than fifa.

But I figured out legendary on the first day. It's not that difficult.. I put up a 7-1 spot at City with my Chelsea career mode team with 6 minute halves.. along with a 5-0 home to United.

Fifa 15 I was good at quite quickly, but I didn't figure out Fifa 16 until about May of this year. I'm seeing a lot less ******** this year. It's a smooth game. Players actually make runs.. it's beautiful

Year 1 of my chelsea career mode:

Costa has been injured most of the season, so my lineups have mainly been

Antoine Griezmann (88 -> 89)
Eden Hazard (89 -> 90) - Julian Draxler (84 -> 86) - Riyad Mahrez (85 -> 86)
William Carvalho (84 -> 86) - N'Golo Kante (85)
Ricardo Rodriguez (83 -> 84) - David Luiz (84) - Kurt Zouma (80 -> 84) - Azpilicueta (84)
Thibaut Courtois (89 -> 91)

Bench:

----Brandt (79 -> 82) - Batshuayi (81 -> 82) - Fekir (81 -> 83)------
---------------------------- Barkley (81 -> 83)---------------------------
--------------------Dahoud (79 -> 82) - Mikel (78)----------------------
Alonso (78 -> 79) - (Terry 84 -> 82) - Cahill (83) - Jedvaj (75 -> 77)
-------------------------------Begovic (83)--------------------------------

Gonna try and do this off the top of my head lol

Transfers in: Griezmann (90m) Draxler (straight swap of Oscar) Mahrez (10 + Willian) Carvalho (5 + Matic) Ricardo (30m) Fekir (25m) Brandt (17m) Barkley 29m) Dahoud (16m) Jedvaj (7m)

Out: Fabregas (58m PSG). Pedro (31m City) Moses + Van Ginkel for combined 15m or so. + Tons of loans out which mean salary money into transfers, and then some sales.

Overall net spend of about 100m I guess. Only splash at winter window was Jedvaj at 7m, but I accounted for that by selling Piazon for 5m.

I simulate mostly, but play big games if im bored.

Luiz is awesome to play with, but terrible to simulate with. Guy barely gets any cleansheets when he's on the pitch. William is a monster in the air, has good final product as well Kante in game plays like kante does IRL. That midfield just destroys everything. I'm struggling to finish with Griezmann. When I play games with him, his one on ones against the goalie don't usually go my way. On top of that, his simulation stats are pretty bad through April of the first season. 6 goals, 6 assists. Mahrez has 9, Draxler has 10, and Hazard has 12. Diego only had 2 in 8 games before being injured for most of the year. So I wonder if it's just a funky sim year. But no complaints, top of the table. Ricardo is a monster to play with. The delivery and link up is great. Fekir is an awesome super sub.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
My official rate of the day.

It's quite obvious that the guy(s) that do players rating at FIFA have a huge crush for Manchester United. Their player ratings are so out of touch with reality.

Could anybody with a straight face tell me how a guy like Firmino is 82 current and 86 potential meanwhile Martial A82 P90, Depay A82 P87.

I watch Firmino every week and his potential is almost limitless and he is way more consistent than Coutinho. I cannot believe they have him with 82 actual nevermind the 86 potential.
I could go on with Bailly, Shaw, Fotu Mentah, Rashford, etc.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I love Reus as a player, but why the hell is he on the cover? He hasn't really done anything the last couple years and has a serious injury to keep him out until 2017 this campaign.

I don't really care about the cover since FIFA's covers are a big pile of **** with like 9 players on every version. Then you have like a different player for each region, which makes it hilarious. Not only that, you have Messi being on it like 10 times making it meaningless. But like there is nobody who is better than Reus that honestly couldn't be on the cover instead? Lewandowski? Alexis? De Gea? Neuer? Griezmann? Aguero? Neymar? Finally don't even get me started on Marco's horrible tattoo design.

Reus was voted onto the cover IIRC

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Is there any level of customization in The Journey? Boots? Is that something that comes once you earn a sponsorship?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
One thing I really like in career mode is the wage thing.

As chelsea manager, players like Mikel and Ivanovic who are rated 78 or so demand 100-130k weekly wages. But I signed Laporte who was on 35k wages rated 85, and he only wanted 50k. But players on Real Madrid have stupid high wages..

It adds a second thought process now to transfers.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yes the career is so far a huge letdown for me... it's so easy to get superstar that it makes it a tad unrealistic not to mention United literally buying all the strikers to a point that it becomes funny.

I swear in my game they have Suarez, Lewandoski, Lacazette, Ibrahimovic, Rooney as strikers. I understand they are loaded with cash, they want exposure and top talents but that is a bit over the top.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The new penatly system is a piece of ****.

I mean a TOTAL PIECE OF ****.

Reus was voted onto the cover IIRC
Thanks for the info.

Also for the person who's not getting emails for youth scouting, it must be a glitch. I get them in my career mode.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Also for the person who's not getting emails for youth scouting, it must be a glitch. I get them in my career mode.

Ditto. I spent some time playing it last night and I was getting the scouting and youth academy updates.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The new penatly system is a piece of ****.

I mean a TOTAL PIECE OF ****.

Thanks for the info.

I like it for online play, makes it more of a wildcard instead of it being automatic. It's really not THAT hard especially if you leave the target on.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Been playing seasons for a while and it seems like no one can take penalties anymore :laugh:

Managed to score from a free kick only once through Pogba. Used to bang them in using 75 fk accuracy players in '16. Goddamit EA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad