Online Series: The Official Disney+ Streaming Service Thread

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I apologize if its already been asked, I didn't know where else to direct the question, why does Disney plus only work on certain newer devices when most other streaming services have been backdated to work on devices much older. For example my Samsung tv is I guess just over the 3 year old mark and thus the Disney+ app is seemingly not available on it but every other streaming service is, why is this and is a chromecast/roku/firestick my only option really? Appreciate anyone in the know who can help me out with this!

I believe this has happened with every other streaming service launched recently. Current devices get the priority, but they'll develop apps for older devices later. Sometimes never. I think CBS All Access still doesn't work on my parents Samsung TV, which is 4 years old.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I can't really find any info related to the subject online, if you have anything can you dm me it if possible? Im just contemplating whether I pop out and grab a chromecast or not, if it will be a few weeks/months I can wait, if it will be years then I will grab one today haha.

Disney+ is now available on Samsung TVs

Don't think it's known when / if it will expand to the older TVs (just 2016 models and newer right now).

IMO, I would just go get a Chromecast / Roku / something else. Find the cheapest thing you can if you're just going to use it for D+.

Kind of annoying because I'm in the same boat. Have a Samsung Smart TV that's either 2015 or 2014, so I don't have the app available. Luckily I have my PS4 hooked up to that TV, so it's not a huge deal.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Disney+ is now available on Samsung TVs

Don't think it's known when / if it will expand to the older TVs (just 2016 models and newer right now).

IMO, I would just go get a Chromecast / Roku / something else. Find the cheapest thing you can if you're just going to use it for D+.

Kind of annoying because I'm in the same boat. Have a Samsung Smart TV that's either 2015 or 2014, so I don't have the app available. Luckily I have my PS4 hooked up to that TV, so it's not a huge deal.

Your probably right, I imagine if it was easy to go further back than the 2016 tv's they would have done it already or announced that they would be on it quickly.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Both my TVs are over 5 years old, and I use chromecast for everything, which I generally love. Searching for something on your phone seems far superior to having it embedded in a TV, but I'm curious if others find the tv solution better?

Reactions: Pilky01

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Both my TVs are over 5 years old, and I use chromecast for everything, which I generally love. Searching for something on your phone seems far superior to having it embedded in a TV, but I'm curious if others find the tv solution better?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I will say that my Roku's OS is far superior to anything I've ever seen in a smart TV's OS and I find it much easier than casting from my phone.

Reactions: discostu

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Agreed 100%.

I bought a smart TV with native Netflix and YouTube apps. Used them occasionally for about a month and then just went back to using Chromecast.

The apps also didn't work great. Maybe there are TVs with more reliable built in apps, but Chromecast always works perfect for me so I pretty much ignore those kind of features when looking at new TVs.

Chromecasts are always going on sale too. I remember buying like 4 of them from Best Buys right around Christmas time.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Agreed 100%.

I bought a smart TV with native Netflix and YouTube apps. Used them occasionally for about a month and then just went back to using Chromecast.

The apps also didn't work great. Maybe there are TVs with more reliable built in apps, but Chromecast always works perfect for me so I pretty much ignore those kind of features when looking at new TVs.

Chromecasts are always going on sale too. I remember buying like 4 of them from Best Buys right around Christmas time.
I have a Roku TV and it works 1000% times better than my old Samsung smart TV. It's really easy and I like that I don't have to use my phone as I can multitask

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Depends on the brand of tv, probably. The streaming features on my newer Vizio are absolute garbage. Bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick and it rocks. Will be buying another one for the basement projector, as I find PS4 unreliable as well - always requiring system updates or manual sign-ins.

member 51464

How are dubbing and subtitle options? Whenever I am studying a foreign language, binge watching is a huge help at the intermediate level.

For example, on The Simpsons, are there beaucoup options for both dubbing and subtitles? Or is it just like English and Spanish only? I hope it is not annoying like with Netflix where the options for audio and subtitles can change based on your geographical location.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How are dubbing and subtitle options? Whenever I am studying a foreign language, binge watching is a huge help at the intermediate level.

For example, on The Simpsons, are there beaucoup options for both dubbing and subtitles? Or is it just like English and Spanish only? I hope it is not annoying like with Netflix where the options for audio and subtitles can change based on your geographical location.

Even though it's not supposed to be released here in Finland until "early/Spring 2020", there's already a picture of a Simpsons episode with Finnish subtitles. So they're there.

Reactions: member 51464

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Would be really great if they had a "continue watching" tab where you can immediately pick up where you left off on shows or movies. Other than that, I have no other complaints and we've been using it since launch day.

Agreed. At least the system knows where you left off, so you will go back to the right spot if you stop watching, but it becomes a little more tricky with shows, because you have to remember which one you were on if you're watching a long series. I'm sure this is something they will add eventually, though.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Would be really great if they had a "continue watching" tab where you can immediately pick up where you left off on shows or movies. Other than that, I have no other complaints and we've been using it since launch day.

I'm sure it's coming

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Anyone else having issue, or maybe it's not an issue and the player just sucks, but I'll start a movie or a tv show and if I stop and come back later it doesn't always save where I left off.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Anyone else having issue, or maybe it's not an issue and the player just sucks, but I'll start a movie or a tv show and if I stop and come back later it doesn't always save where I left off.

I haven’t had that issue yet. It’s always gone back to where I was at, within 10 seconds or so.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Agreed. At least the system knows where you left off, so you will go back to the right spot if you stop watching, but it becomes a little more tricky with shows, because you have to remember which one you were on if you're watching a long series. I'm sure this is something they will add eventually, though.

They need to.

Whether it be a continue watching for TV shows, or even if it shows when you've watched episodes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad