Online Series: The Official Disney+ Streaming Service Thread

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Disney owns ABC, Disney Films obviously, ESPN, Lucas Film (Star Wars), Marvel, Pixar, and many more. There's gonna be a lot of news about this, but not all of it will be thread worthy. Let's post it here.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wonder if they will ease their restrictions on the Disney Vault with this service. I think movies like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin are in the Vault. Will they be released with the streaming service. Also, there's some animated films that I would love to revisit, like the 80s era and Oliver and Company. I do think with this being as big as it will be, it will challenge netflix.

I know it will never happen, but I would be pleasently surprised if Song of the South made it to the Streaming service. I don't expect it will, but just thinking.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Once this service is up I'll cancel Netflix and go watch Marvel and Star Wars here.

it will be interesting to see what Marvel contracts move to the channel

Disney owns ABC so moving a rebooted agents of shield over wont be hard

as for the other marvel products--I know that in Sept 2019 the original Netflix/Marvel contract expires and it will be interesting what happens afterwards

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Knowing Disney they're going to load it up with a bunch of obscure and random junk.

Nope. "Disney's new Netflix rival will be called Disney+ and launch late 2019
  • Disney's new streaming service, Disney+, will be a home for its past titles and original series, including new content from the Marvel and Star Wars franchises.
  • The company will pull its content from Netflix in 2019.
  • The service will also feature new, original shows and movies, including original Marvel and Star Wars series. Marvel fan favorite character Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston, will get an original series on the Disney+ service. A prequel series to Star Wars movie "Rogue One" about the character Cassian Andor, portrayed by Diego Luna, will also call the service home." Disney's new Netflix rival will be called Disney+ and launch late 2019

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I posted this in another thread about this service recently, but I'll post it again.

I wonder if Disney will experiment with a Movie Pass type of program and piggy back it with their service. Movie Pass was extremely popular but not viable as a third party provider.

If Disney had a plan that gave you a fixed number of tickets each month to Disney films in the theatre combined without their streaming service at a reasonable price you could essentially have families that exclusively watch Disney content.

Nothing of this nature has been even hinted at by Disney though but it seems like they'd be well positioned to try it. I feel someone's is going to make that models work, and Disney seems like they're the among the best positioned.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Nope. "Disney's new Netflix rival will be called Disney+ and launch late 2019
  • Disney's new streaming service, Disney+, will be a home for its past titles and original series, including new content from the Marvel and Star Wars franchises.
  • The company will pull its content from Netflix in 2019.
  • The service will also feature new, original shows and movies, including original Marvel and Star Wars series. Marvel fan favorite character Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston, will get an original series on the Disney+ service. A prequel series to Star Wars movie "Rogue One" about the character Cassian Andor, portrayed by Diego Luna, will also call the service home." Disney's new Netflix rival will be called Disney+ and launch late 2019
I don't know why you're saying nope ad if this proves anything. I'm sure they'll have a fee decent titles to draw people in but I don't trust them at all to give us a good selection of their library. I remember my grandma got the Disney channel in the 80s guessing around 85ish. They put nothing of note on there,nothing. It was loaded up with odds and ends of black and white low demand product that nobody would of consumed or cared to consumed otherwise. We'll see what happens but I'm not holding my breath on it being worth it's sticker.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Disney Spotlights Comprehensive Direct-to-Consumer Strategy at 2019 Investor Day - The Walt Disney Company

From Marvel Studios:
  • The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, a live-action series with Anthony Mackie returning as Falcon and Sebastian Stan reprising his role as Winter Soldier
  • WandaVision, a live-action series with Elizabeth Olsen returning as Wanda Maximoff and Paul Bettany reprising his role as The Vision
  • Marvel’s What If…?, the first animated series from Marvel Studios and takes inspiration from the comic books of the same name. Each episode will explore a pivotal moment from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and turn it on its head, leading the audience into uncharted territory.
Additionally, Disney+ announced that all 30 seasons of The Simpsons will be available on the service on day one. In the service’s first year, audiences will also have access to family-friendly Fox titles like The Sound of Music, The Princess Bride and Malcolm in the Middle as part of an impressive collection of more than 7,500 television episodes and 500 films including blockbuster hits from 2019 and beyond.

In addition the Mandalorian, Diego Luna's series, Loki's series will also be available.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That Scarlet Witch series title is atrocious, but I'm impressed they got such big billing actors to reprise their roles for actual serial work.

But honestly, I jwant the Mandalorian more than anything else. Favreau, Pascal, and Star Wars...and that Star Wars revolves around the bounty hunter life? I could not be more sold.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
These series have me more certain than ever that the end of the MCU juggernaut is closer than people think.

I have a very difficult time envisioning a scenario where a Falcon & Winter Solider TV series doesn't detract from the characters that have been developed on film.

When would a buddy cop dynamic between them exist? In what timeline?

I'm curious but very skeptical.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
These series have me more certain than ever that the end of the MCU juggernaut is closer than people think.

I have a very difficult time envisioning a scenario where a Falcon & Winter Solider TV series doesn't detract from the characters that have been developed on film.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Yeah but that was like, one day, maybe two. Prior to that he was an enemy super solider, then hiding in Europe, and immediately after this he had his arm ripped off and was refrozen in Wakanda.

My guess is we get all kinds of new 'timelines' or 'dimensions' so that all these different stories can co-exist.

I honestly think this is where it gets stretched too thin.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Sad Simpsons are all moving there. They used to be available for free on Simpsonsworld if you had a cable account.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

I think there's definitely a risk that this can oversaturate the MCU. I'm guessing though that these will all be very separate stories that don't impact the bigger movies.

I think Disney is also willing to risk issues with their Marvel property if it gives them a leg up in the streaming wars. This is what will make or break the company over the next decade.

I'm really curious how much, if any they'll become investing in non branded content. A strong existing film library and branded series is a way to draw viewers day one, but for Disney+ to succeed, it's going to need a few critically acclaimed series that come from out of nowhere.

For Netflix, it took House of Cards and Stranger Things to make really break through. I don't think series around the less interesting Marvel characters will do it.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I think there's definitely a risk that this can oversaturate the MCU. I'm guessing though that these will all be very separate stories that don't impact the bigger movies.

I think Disney is also willing to risk issues with their Marvel property if it gives them a leg up in the streaming wars. This is what will make or break the company over the next decade.

I'm really curious how much, if any they'll become investing in non branded content. A strong existing film library and branded series is a way to draw viewers day one, but for Disney+ to succeed, it's going to need a few critically acclaimed series that come from out of nowhere.

For Netflix, it took House of Cards and Stranger Things to make really break through. I don't think series around the less interesting Marvel characters will do it.

If they can get all the kids parents that live on the disney channel to subscribe then thats a hell of a start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad