Music: The Official Country Music Thread

Green Blob*

Luke Bryan puts on a great live show

Can't wait! Blake Shelton put on a great show also live. Big talker between songs and is a hilarious guy.

Also realized Thomspon Square and Florida Georgia Line are playing tomorrow night also, should be an amazing show.

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
I always thought country was a joke till I actually gave it a chance.

I've always loved country music... I grew up listening to it and even though there have been periods in my life when I've listened to other genres fow a while, I always go back to country.

Some of my favourite songs/artists are the ones I grew up with. George Strait will always be my favourite. Songs like "Amarillo By Morning" and "The Cowboy Rides Away" never get old. Songs like Alabama's "Dixieland Delight" and "Mountain Music" still cause me to turn up the radio. Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, The Oak Ridge Boys.. Still love them to this day. And even though they were before my time, I love listening to Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn (Coal Miner's Daughter" ranks high on my favourite movie list).

As for today's artists, I love Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, The Zac Brown Band and Miranda Lambert.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Has there been a Country Music album released yet that is worth the time. I'm not talking about what you hear on the Radio. I'm talking about the next Chris Stapleton, or Ashley Monroe or Kacey Musgraves (Whose Pageant Material album was ok, but sounded like a continuation of her first). I really want Brandy Clark to release a new album soon, or Jamey Johnson.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Gimme anything with Ralph Mooney on pedal steel!

Last edited:

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Gonna bump this thread because I just caught Zac Brown in concert last week. What an amazing show! Toes, Chicken Fried and of course Colder Weather were highlights but I tell you what he came out with Beautiful Drug in the encore and the whole crowd was jumping in time to the song. Gave me goosebumps. I can't wait to catch them again!

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Anyone pick up some great albums they would recommend. I'm not talking about the crap in the radio but just the stuff like the Sturgill Simpsons it Jason Isbell's. Last year was ripe with some great country music albums like Chris Stapleton, Alan Jackson, Turnpike Trubadors, stuff like that. This year is Almost over and I haven't picked up many good country albums.

This week though I discovered a Texas country singer named Cody Jinks mainly due to one of his songs being used as a walk off song at a baseball game. Well I started to really take notice and picked up his album Adobe Sessions and his current release.

I'm going to say this artist is the Chris Stapleton discovery of 2016. Man I can't stop listening to this guy, but I wonder if there is any other album I should look out for. The only other country albums I bought this year was Brandy Clark and Maran Morris. Clark is a best album of the year candidate but Morris is a little too pop (even if I still like it) for me.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Anyone pick up some great albums they would recommend. I'm not talking about the crap in the radio but just the stuff like the Sturgill Simpsons it Jason Isbell's. Last year was ripe with some great country music albums like Chris Stapleton, Alan Jackson, Turnpike Trubadors, stuff like that. This year is Almost over and I haven't picked up many good country albums.

This week though I discovered a Texas country singer named Cody Jinks mainly due to one of his songs being used as a walk off song at a baseball game. Well I started to really take notice and picked up his album Adobe Sessions and his current release.

I'm going to say this artist is the Chris Stapleton discovery of 2016. Man I can't stop listening to this guy, but I wonder if there is any other album I should look out for. The only other country albums I bought this year was Brandy Clark and Maran Morris. Clark is a best album of the year candidate but Morris is a little too pop (even if I still like it) for me.

If you like Isbell and Simpson and hate bro/pop country check out the alt/country thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=538693

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

The "crap" on the radio is the new country music. Can't believe people still enjoy that old country music sound. Chris Stapleton? Woof. Feel like i'm riding in the car with my dad listening to his garbage country back in the early 90's again.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The "crap" on the radio is the new country music. Can't believe people still enjoy that old country music sound. Chris Stapleton? Woof. Feel like i'm riding in the car with my dad listening to his garbage country back in the early 90's again.

It's crap if you're older and grew up with actual country music. It's not crap if you grew up into the music that is on the radio today.

Pretty much how I see it.

Chris Stapleton is unreal, btw.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
So one of the things discussed elsewhere, and perhaps now here, is the fact that country music is so dominated by appealing to the female audience. This results in some things like most songs are party anthems (a general complaint of radio in general) and that it mostly results in men singing sweet songs about the girls they had, resulting in women being pushed out of the industry.

I don't like Nashville. I like what other scenes push out (Toronto, Moncton, Austin, etc.) They tend to be not so overridden with that dynamic.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
So one of the things discussed elsewhere, and perhaps now here, is the fact that country music is so dominated by appealing to the female audience. This results in some things like most songs are party anthems (a general complaint of radio in general) and that it mostly results in men singing sweet songs about the girls they had, resulting in women being pushed out of the industry.

I don't like Nashville. I like what other scenes push out (Toronto, Moncton, Austin, etc.) They tend to be not so overridden with that dynamic.

One of the reasons I got into country music was because it was the genre that told interesting stories. Nashville country doesn't tell interesting stories anymore. Always love variety.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Speaking of a song with a meaningful story, I read the lyrics to this song and this is what I'm talking about. Country music tells a story, and while this is a sad story, it's a damn great song.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Anyone have any good country music finds lately? I have really embraced Cody Jinks but I also found out about another Texas country artist by the name of Courtney Patton.

I also found out Jason Isbell had a new album out. I bought his last one and still listen to it from time to time. I've been looking for more female singers though. Not your underwoods or Lambert's but maybe some that are not quite as known, like Brandy Clark.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Anyone have any good country music finds lately? I have really embraced Cody Jinks but I also found out about another Texas country artist by the name of Courtney Patton.

I also found out Jason Isbell had a new album out. I bought his last one and still listen to it from time to time. I've been looking for more female singers though. Not your underwoods or Lambert's but maybe some that are not quite as known, like Brandy Clark.

I'll say it again, check out the alternative country thread(you would have known about Isbell's new album months ago).

some female singers to check out:

Lucinda Williams
Emmylou Harris
Courtney Marie Andrews
The Delines
The Damnations Tx
The Heartless ********
Houndmouth
Wussy
Neko Case
Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins
early Linda Rondstat
early Bonnie Raitt
The Little Willies
Gillian Welch
Margo Price
Birds of Chicago

Last edited:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I will say that too much of the mainstream country sounds a lot like top 40 stuff. Kind of gets annoying when I hear songs like that. I've really gotten into Zac Brown Band (even though I wasn't super crazy about Jekyll & Hyde and their latest isn't as good as their first few albums). I prefer more of a southern rock type sound vs the more poppy type of sound that I hear a lot on country radio.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've been listening to Darius Rucker's latest album ("When Was the Last Time"), which was released over the weekend. None of the songs quite stand out to me as potential hit single types of songs, but they're all solid and catchy. The quality of the album seems quite good despite the lack of hits. I'm liking it more the more that I listen to it. The sound is exactly like his past albums, which is refreshing in an era in which many artists sound different from album to album. I like how Rucker sings about being middle age and being happy to be so, rather than pretending that he's younger and sprier than he is or older than he is and with less to still live for. It's refreshing, especially when it comes to country music.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad