Prospect Info: The OFFICIAL CFHF Flames Prospect Rankings. Top 20 Complete.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This year's results:

1. Juuso Valimaki (69.2%)(E)
2. Dillon Dubé (72.4%)(+1)
3. Oliver Kylington (52.5%)(+1)
4. Jakob Pelletier (65.6%)(NR)
5. Mathias-Emilio Pettersen (69.0%)(NR)
6. Martin Pospisil (23.1%:39.3%)(+14)
7. Matthew Phillips (37.0%:68.5%)(+2)
8. Ilya Nikolaev (33.3%)(NR)
9. Adam Ruzicka (33.3%)(+4)
10. Dmitry Zavgorodniy (45.0%)(+9)
11. Tyler Parsons (40.0%)(-6)
12. Milos Roman (30.4%)(+4)
13. Dustin Wolf (39.1%)(NR)
14. Filip Sveningsson (52.2%)(NR)
15. Artyom Zagidulin (42.1%)(NR)
16. Alexander Yelesin (31.8%)(NR)
17. Glenn Gawdin (58.8%)(-5)
18. Demetrios Koumontzis (50.0%)(NR)
19. Eetu Tuulola (78.6%)(-1)
20. Luke Philp (53.3%)(NR)

Last year's results:

1. Valimaki (70.6%)(+3)
2. Andersson (74.5%)(+1)
3. Dube (51.5%)(+5)
4. Kylington (58.3%)(+1)
5. Parsons (51.5%)(-2)
6. Mangiapane (58.1%) (+3)
7. Gillies (37.1%, 58.1% in runoff) (-1)
8. Foo (48.5%)(+2)
9. Phillips (53.8%) (+8)
10. Rittich (36.7%) (+5)
11. Klimchuk (45.5%) (+1)
12. Gawdin (50.0%) (NA)
13. Ruzicka (31.6%, 57.9% in runoff) (NR)
14. Rychel (56.5%) (NA)
15. Joly (36.4%) (NR)
16. Roman (30.4%) (NA)
17. Lindstrom (35.5%) (NR)
18. Tuulola (47.4%) (NR)
19. Zavgorodniy (26.1%, 42.1% in runoff) (NA)
20. Pospisil (36.8%) (NA)

Please let me know any prospects that I have not included in the poll. I will send flowers to their families along with an apology.

Also, let me know if there are any players on the list who should be considered graduated. I opted to keep Kylington on the list and not include Valimaki. Is that reasonable?

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hmm... damn. Of the names up there, gun to my head, the guy to keep right now is Dube because he's a known quantity, because I don't know how Pelletier stacks up against him.

I'm also wondering why Mango is still considered a prospect (Mangiapane) since it seems obvious enough he's graduating and going to be on the NHL roster full time.

Reactions: crackdown44

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The only LHD we have competing for that 3rd pairing spot are Kylington and Valimaki and it's remarkably obvious that the Flames prefer the latter. Valimaki won't spend anytime in the AHL this season barring an injury or a disastrous camp

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
24 games doesn't equal graduated from prospect for me personally.

By that logic, Dube is graduated too.

I'd add Valimaki back in for now.

IMO, I'd go with the likelihood of the player playing more than 5 games in the AHL or has played full NHL seasons as a graduated prospect who is no longer a prospect. This is why I think Mango is not a prospect as there's space to keep him on the NHL roster and there's risk of losing him on waivers if sent to the farm so he's unlikely to go back to the farm. However, Dube can go to the farm risk free for now, and thus he'll spend time there, so I agree him as a prospect makes sense.

Valimaki and Kylington on the other hand I can easily see play more than 5 games in the AHL this coming season. This has nothing to do with NHL readiness and talent. Valimaki and Kylington could spend a meaningful amount of time in Stockton due to the bodies we have on the roster, even though perhaps an argument could be made that they're on part with Andersson/superior to Stone. I agree about considering adding Valimaki back as a prospect. This is also why I would suggest that Andersson is not a prospect, because there is no meaningful shuffle that would cause anyone to expect him to play more than 5 games in the AHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
IMO, I'd go with the likelihood of the player playing more than 5 games in the AHL or has played full NHL seasons as a graduated prospect who is no longer a prospect. This is why I think Mango is not a prospect as there's space to keep him on the NHL roster and there's risk of losing him on waivers if sent to the farm so he's unlikely to go back to the farm. However, Dube can go to the farm risk free for now, and thus he'll spend time there, so I agree him as a prospect makes sense.

Valimaki and Kylington on the other hand I can easily see play more than 5 games in the AHL this coming season. This has nothing to do with NHL readiness and talent. Valimaki and Kylington could spend a meaningful amount of time in Stockton due to the bodies we have on the roster, even though perhaps an argument could be made that they're on part with Andersson/superior to Stone. I agree about considering adding Valimaki back as a prospect. This is also why I would suggest that Andersson is not a prospect, because there is no meaningful shuffle that would cause anyone to expect him to play more than 5 games in the AHL.

We can’t know with any certainty which young prospects make the team though. For example we might keep Stone on the opening night roster for the purpose of showcasing him. We just don’t know. We should have rules about what is and isn’t a prospect, and stick to those rules.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'll add in Valimaki if you like. My logic was that he was injured for a long stretch, but outside of that stretch he won a main roster spot and with everyone healthy was still in the top 6. Kylington had games as an injury replacement, not because he had made it up the depth chart.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We can’t know with any certainty which young prospects make the team though. For example we might keep Stone on the opening night roster for the purpose of showcasing him. We just don’t know. We should have rules about what is and isn’t a prospect, and stick to those rules.

Stone isn’t displacing rasmus. Unless Brodie or hammer is traded, he’s eating popcorn or bought out.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sigh, it’s just an example.

Fair enough, but it isn’t really a good one as he’s not going to have an impact on either kylington’s or Valimaki’s chances for making the team.

As for a definition, anyone who isn’t a full time graduate I think should be considered a prospect. So in this case, Andersson would be graduated as he spent most of the year on the flames roster. Valimaki, kylington, and Dube would still be considered prospects in my book.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fair enough, but it isn’t really a good one as he’s not going to have an impact on either kylington’s or Valimaki’s chances for making the team.

As for a definition, anyone who isn’t a full time graduate I think should be considered a prospect. So in this case, Andersson would be graduated as he spent most of the year on the flames roster. Valimaki, kylington, and Dube would still be considered prospects in my book.

Which is fair, and that's what I was commenting about. I think everyone agrees a graduate is no longer a prospect. However, we may differ on the definition of what is a graduate.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dubé and Oliver aren’t prospects anymore according to NHL standards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad