GDT: The Official Carolina vs. Toronto Draft Thread

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Nearing the end of the season, we currently sit 5th worst with 11 games left and Toronto is 4th with 9 remaining.

We're 8 points back of Columbus with a game in hand and 9 points ahead of Edmonton, also with a game in hand.

Toronto is 10 back of Columbus with one fewer game and 7 ahead of Edmonton also, with 1 fewer game.

So basically odds are, neither of us will catch the bottom three, and it's equally unlikely either of us will catch Columbus. So it's essentially Carolina vs. Toronto for 4th//5th and a guarantee of picking in the top 5 should Columbus or someone better win the lottery.

:canes remaining schedule:

Mar 23 vs. CHI
Mar 26 vs. PIT
Mar 28 vs. NJD
Mar 29 vs. BOS
Mar 31 @ WSH
Apr 2 @ FLA
Apr 4 vs. PHI
Apr 6 @ BUF
Apr 7 @ DET
Apr 9 @ PHI
Apr 11 vs. DET

:leafs remaining schedule:

Mar 23 vs. MIN
Mar 26 vs. FLA
Mar 28 vs. OTT
Mar 31 vs. TBL
Apr 1 @ BUF
Apr 4 @ BOS
Apr 5 vs. OTT
Apr 8 @ CBJ
Apr 11 vs. MON

Reactions: MinJaBen

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah no chance we're catching the Leafers. The only positive is that they might cause Buffalo to beat them moving Arizona ever closer to a guarantee of at least Eichel.

The One Who Knocks

Jul 10, 2007
California
See: Arizona Coyotes

Also, Toronto is going to finish 4. Definitely.
The Coyotes have been tanking pretty well, but since Jan 1, 2015 the Coyotes have 7 wins and the Leafs have 6 (compared to the Canes' 16 wins, which seems staggeringly high by comparison). Midway through December, the Leafs had a 19-9-3 record and ended 2014 at 21-14-3. I don't think the Coyotes ever had a decent record this season. Their tank has been more of a consistent grinding effort, while the Leafs' implosion was more dramatic

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, there's no competing with Toronto. The Canes still play with a bit of pride. The same can't be said of the Leafs.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Didn't Toronto just get blown out by Edmoton?

Canes have to worry more about catching Columbus.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Sadly - Buffalo, Arizona, Oilers, Leafs, Carolina.

It's not all so bad if that's the draft order. The way I see it, the top 5 is comprised of 5 number 1 overall talents.

Here are some comparisons I drew based on nothing but solely highlights:

McDavid-Crosby
Eichel-Stamkos
Hanifin-Ekblad
Marner-Kane
Strome-Tavares

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Yeah, there's no competing with Toronto. The Canes still play with a bit of pride. The same can't be said of the Leafs.

hey who needs pride. If you want to tank you kill all morale in the dressing room. Shannahan suspended our best young player for 3 games and questioned his character on national television, called out the top line, traded a bunch of players at trade deadline, wrote an apology in the newspaper apologizing for this crappy team, etc. You need a proper tank commander to get the job done right.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Nearing the end of the season, we currently sit 5th worst with 11 games left and Toronto is 4th with 9 remaining.

We're 8 points back of Columbus with a game in hand and 9 points ahead of Edmonton, also with a game in hand.

Toronto is 10 back of Columbus with one fewer game and 7 ahead of Edmonton also, with 1 fewer game.

So basically odds are, neither of us will catch the bottom three, and it's equally unlikely either of us will catch Columbus. So it's essentially Carolina vs. Toronto for 4th//5th and a guarantee of picking in the top 5 should Columbus or someone better win the lottery.

:canes remaining schedule:

Mar 23 vs. CHI
Mar 26 vs. PIT
Mar 28 vs. NJD
Mar 29 vs. BOS
Mar 31 @ WSH
Apr 2 @ FLA
Apr 4 vs. PHI
Apr 6 @ BUF
Apr 7 @ DET
Apr 9 @ PHI
Apr 11 vs. DET

:leafs remaining schedule:

Mar 23 vs. MIN
Mar 26 vs. FLA
Mar 28 vs. OTT
Mar 31 vs. TBL
Apr 1 @ BUF
Apr 4 @ BOS
Apr 5 vs. OTT
Apr 8 @ CBJ
Apr 11 vs. MON

Well I see the Leafs going 3-6 with wins against Buffalo, Boston, and the 2nd Ottawa game. Don't laugh, they always seem to play the Bruins tough. But unfortunately I see us going 4-7 during that same stretch with our wins coming against New Jersey, Florida, Buffalo, and one of the PHilly games.

Still not bad enough to guarantee us 4th. On a sadder note Los Angeles is really falling off the pace for that playoff spot out west. Looks like, to me, we'll have an extra first in 2016.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Hey Cane fans,

Leaf fan coming in peace.

Assuming Leafs finish 4th and Carolina 5th. What do you guys think about Kessel and Nashvilles 1st round pick straight up for 5th overall?

Thoughts?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hey Cane fans,

Assuming Leafs finish 4th and Carolina 5th. What do you guys think about Kessel and Nashvilles 1st round pick straight up for 5th overall?

Thoughts?

There is just zero way the Canes could fit that in their budget. With the Staal's, Semin, and Skinner the Canes already have way too much money spent on forwards.

Is also the reason the Canes need a young, cost-controlled future Star like Hanifin, Marner, or Strome at 5.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Hey Cane fans,

Thoughts?

I like Kessel... A lot. But there's no way we could fit that in our budget unless you either ate salary or took a bad contract back. Value seems p decent, but I think we will pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad