The official Brule/Crosby debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
If Sidney Crosby isn't good defensively it's still no biggie. Mario or Wayne were at best "adequate" in their own zone.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
ax²+bx+c said:
oh come on...

moosefan said:
some times people have to just do their own research as they know where to find it just they really don'twant to look it up themselves.

I already googled it, and every site i've looked on says 5'10 still. I have a interest in this because i'm a huge caps fan and theres a strong possibility we might end up drafting him. There is no reason to be dinks about a simple question.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
H/H said:
If Sidney Crosby isn't good defensively it's still no biggie. Mario or Wayne were at best "adequate" in their own zone.

Mario, up until this past World Cup, was non existent in his own zone! Even with such emphasis on the defensive part of the game, a guy like Crosby, provided he can equate his junior success into NHL success, will still be invaluable to his team. You can teach and work on defence. You can't however teach offense. You are either gifted, or not.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Captain Conservative said:
I already googled it, and every site i've looked on says 5'10 still. I have a interest in this because i'm a huge caps fan and theres a strong possibility we might end up drafting him. There is no reason to be dinks about a simple question.

I checked all the sites but they still say 5'10. In the New paper here in Halifax it said Crosby back this year at 5'11/185. Maybe he is 5'10 and a half and the paper rounded it up and the sites kept him at 5'10?????

lakingsgirl

Feb 3, 2004
2112 said:
If Brule was to be in last year's draft where would he go?

I like this question. The only problem is it's hard to say without this season under his belt. I'm not trying to judge how well he'll do based on the four games he's played so far, but seeing as most players improve drastically between their rookie and draft seasons, I think it's difficult to judge where he'd go. At his current state, I'd put him #3, at best #2. But if he improves as much as I think he could, he could be better than Ovchekin in a second. (But since that hasn't happened, don't jump down my throat. He could be, right now he isn't.)

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Captain Conservative said:
He was Quoted as saying he's almost 5'11'.When I saw him this summer I thought
he was at least that.As for his weight he's got huge legs that must weigh a few
pounds.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
A note on the (future) pressure on Crosby:
Yes, he has had pressure on him for his entire life and never had a problem with it. However, pressure is very easy to deal with when you are succeeding, and Crosby has not really even been significantly challenged. When he gets to the NHL, he may or may not experience a lack of success for the first time in his hockey life. This is when pressure becomes an enormous factor. The pressure to succeed when you are already succeeding is a positive thing, as it can push you to be better when you otherwise might be "satisfied". The pressure to be the saviour of an NHL organization at 18, 19, 20 years old is massive and misplaced, and if he doesn't immediately succeed, his development could easily be stunted, even if only in the short term. I agree with whoever was saying that the best thing that could happen to Crosby is to play in a place where hockey is relatively unimportant, away from the microscope of Canadian hockey media and fans. However, that wouldn't be good for hockey in general, so I hope he goes to a Canadian team and never does experience that lack of success that can turn pressure from a help to a huge hindrance.

As for Brule vs. Crosby, the debate cannot be over who is better, and I don't think that was the intent to begin with. As a Giants seasons ticket holder who sees Brule on a regular basis, I would venture to say he is not underrated at all, despite the shadow Crosby casts over him. He's an amazing player without doubt, but to say he's a first overall in any other year is very presumptious. Looking at the last 5 years, I would say that right now, he wouldn't be clearly above any of Ovechkin, Fleury, Nash, Kovalchuk or Dipietro. Brule's skating and shot are top level, and he has excellent grit, but I don't know that his offensive talent will take him to a superstar level. I talked with an NHL scout at one of the Giants games, and he felt that Brule will be a high quality player in the NHL, but thought he might not live up to a lot of the hype surrounding him as a potential superstar. I personally see him as becoming an excellent two way player with great team oriented and leadership abilities that can put up maybe 70-80 points if he reaches his maximum offensive potential.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
To say that neither Lemieux or Gretzky wouldn't get 150pts in todays NHL i don't think is accurate. They may not be good for 200pts but 150 is definitely reasonable, probably more.

Lemieux:

2000-2001 Penguins 43 35 41 76

translates into 66 goals and 144pts

The game hasn't changed since 2001, it was just as stiffling 3 years ago as today and a nowhere near his prime Lemieux set a 150pt. pace.

I understand the idea that Gretz and Lemieux played in a point inflated era, this doesn't change the fact that Gretz beat the second place guy by about 50-60pts every year.
If its inflated its inflated equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->