The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Does anyone own or has ever owned the LG G5? Thinking about buying it.

Edit: Disregard. Just bought the S8 got a great deal on Ebay. This is my first Samsung device and I gotta say the Samsung software is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Does anyone here have a pixel, and if so, have you noticed your battery life completely going down the shitter the past couple weeks?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I have a Pixel 2 and I haven't noticed. I do charge it a lot though (During brakes and plugging it into my car for Android Auto).
In the past week I'll lose between 30&40% from just listening to pandora while at the gym

It was bad like a month ago and then they came out with an update that seemed to fix it. It now sucks again

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Does anyone here have a pixel, and if so, have you noticed your battery life completely going down the ****ter the past couple weeks?

I have a 5X and I have noticed significant battery drain while my phone is on idle. Like 30-40% drain over two days. I don't recall it being so bad before. Must be due to the last update.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I have a 5X and I have noticed significant battery drain while my phone is on idle. Like 30-40% drain over two days. I don't recall it being so bad before. Must be due to the last update.
It's not so bad when it's idle, but any use just kills it

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
The S9 and S9+ look nice but other than the camera and the slightly better bezeless front it's not that much of an upgrade over the S8/S8+. Better CPU but same ram and same battery. 1,5 aperture size for the rear camera is solid though.

So it look more like a refined S8. S10 is probably where the next big leap will be

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm looking to upgrade, likely both phone and plan.

I've had a Nexus 5 for about four years, and it's starting to die on me. Battery life is....fleeting. :laugh:

I'm looking at Freedom Mobile again....and kicking myself for doing so. Currently with Virgin Mobile on a monthly plan that costs about $55 but I'm not sure if I'll stay with them. Their phone + plan combos aren't too impressive.

Any suggestions? Phones, plans, I'm shopping around.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm looking to upgrade, likely both phone and plan.

I've had a Nexus 5 for about four years, and it's starting to die on me. Battery life is....fleeting. :laugh:

I'm looking at Freedom Mobile again....and kicking myself for doing so. Currently with Virgin Mobile on a monthly plan that costs about $55 but I'm not sure if I'll stay with them. Their phone + plan combos aren't too impressive.

Any suggestions? Phones, plans, I'm shopping around.
You can probably get a second hand Pixel (or Pixel XL) for a decent price and then take a Bring Your Own Phone plan with Virgin (maybe a loyalty plan if you call them up and negotiate). Would be one way to save some money.

If you want a new phone, depends on your budget for everything.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
So Oreeo finally began to roll out for us canucks with S8 etc. Installed and first thing i noticed is.....they iris scanner is twice as fast as it was under Nougat. To the point where i sometimes don't even have the time to read my notif it has improved a lot.

On the downside i f***ing hate those white frame that google added to their apps. It messed up my theme badly. I wouldnt care if there was a way to change it but unfortunately there is not other than changing launcher. Bad decision by google imho

Other than that Oreo feel more fluid than nougat did nad i gotta say that i am pleased so far. Battery life also seem to be a bit better

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So Oreeo finally began to roll out for us canucks with S8 etc. Installed and first thing i noticed is.....they iris scanner is twice as fast as it was under Nougat. To the point where i sometimes don't even have the time to read my notif it has improved a lot.

On the downside i ****ing hate those white frame that google added to their apps. It messed up my theme badly. I wouldnt care if there was a way to change it but unfortunately there is not other than changing launcher. Bad decision by google imho

Other than that Oreo feel more fluid than nougat did nad i gotta say that i am pleased so far. Battery life also seem to be a bit better
I'm patiently waiting for it on my Note 8 in the States.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Google backup and restore is so worthless.

Amazon Prime has/had the Moto G5+ for $21o, which I bought as my Nexus 6P's battery is getting worse, bit by bit. Phone is fine, nice feel, good screen, put on the glass screen protector no problem, going caseless as I like the aluminum back, log into my Google account no problem...but it doesn't want to restore from the 6P, just my Vizio tablet remote (which IIRC is on Marshmallow).

I'm guessing it may be Google Play services-related, but still Google, restoring data shouldn't be this hard, and it's not like the Moto has an ancient version of Android (Nougat), and the 6P has been on Oreo for months.

Sep 19, 2008
Is anyone here familiar with Android development? I'm trying to run a script using adb shell and the if-then commands aren't working. Is it possible to code these things into a shell script or bat file?

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Is anyone here familiar with Android development? I'm trying to run a script using adb shell and the if-then commands aren't working. Is it possible to code these things into a shell script or bat file?
A little late but what exactly are you using adb for?

A good place to ask this type of question is on the XDA forums, hope you found what you were looking for.;)

Sep 19, 2008
A little late but what exactly are you using adb for?

A good place to ask this type of question is on the XDA forums, hope you found what you were looking for.;)
I did. Figured it out thanks

I'm using ADB to play around with the shell, seeing what the commands do.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Before I left on vacation, I was planning on picking up the Pixel 2 XL through Rogers once I got back. Was at pretty good price, as the regular PIxel 2 was $0. Now, it's back up to $450. Guess I'll be waiting for the Pixel 3 to come out. Sucks, as my Galaxy S7 is starting to get a little buggy. May do a factory reset to see if that helps.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So here's something that confused me... if I have data turned off but load a google map on wifi, when I leave the wifi does google keep your location updated with jus gps and not using data?

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
So here's something that confused me... if I have data turned off but load a google map on wifi, when I leave the wifi does google keep your location updated with jus gps and not using data?

I used Google maps in offline mode in Europe a couple of years ago and it's how it worked. I thought the GPS worked well in finding my position after every stop.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Anyone here have a OnePlus? Reading absolute nightmare payment/customer service issues with the OP6 release, which now has me thinking twice about ordering one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->