The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The Note 7 looks like the phone of the year, unsurprisingly, but I'd personally wait until next year for the Note 8. Samsung is promising more innovation next year, battery advancements (apparently) and even faster chips, plus the SD830 by then. If you can wait, i'd wait.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The Note 7 looks like the phone of the year, unsurprisingly, but I'd personally wait until next year for the Note 8. Samsung is promising more innovation next year, battery advancements (apparently) and even faster chips, plus the SD830 by then. If you can wait, i'd wait.

I'll wait...............,

so I can afford the Note 7 :laugh:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Just as a warning with the Note 7, since it uses Gorilla Glass 5, it's much more scratch prone than GG4 (yet supposed to be more shatter proof, but apparently people have ****ed up the screen already).

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The thing that always scared me most about my Notes was the possibility of cracking/scratching/damaging the screen and having to pay $200 or more to replace it. Although the 6 & 6S Plus are almost as expensive. Not sure how a case is supposed to fully protect that wraparound screen, though. The phone sure is sleek and easy to palm, though. Makes the big iPhones look rather unevolved.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Just as a warning with the Note 7, since it uses Gorilla Glass 5, it's much more scratch prone than GG4 (yet supposed to be more shatter proof, but apparently people have ****ed up the screen already).

Can't be a yearly flagship phone release without some YT video showing a perceived flaw...

"You're holding it wrong", bendgate, thermal throttling, and now the screen scratches too easily.

But considering how many people use cases and screen protectors...it will something people will complain about for a while, then forget about it.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I pretty much don't use screen protectors anymore. Even my Galaxy S4 wouldn't scratch this easily. For my Nexus 6P, I just have a Rhinoshield which protects against drops and possible shattering, but the screen on the 6P itself is damn good at preventing scratches. This is 2016, why the hell should we start worrying about easily scratching screens? I would rather have a much better scratch proof screen than shatter proof. Why would you want to spend $850+ on something that looks that nice but can be ruined so easily? Also, the fact that the home button finger print scanner can be damaged and ****ed for use so easily is concerning too. So no, it's not something you forget about, especially with something as big and important as GG screens in phones these days.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I pretty much don't use screen protectors anymore. Even my Galaxy S4 wouldn't scratch this easily. For my Nexus 6P, I just have a Rhinoshield which protects against drops and possible shattering, but the screen on the 6P itself is damn good at preventing scratches. This is 2016, why the hell should we start worrying about easily scratching screens? I would rather have a much better scratch proof screen than shatter proof. Why would you want to spend $850+ on something that looks that nice but can be ruined so easily? Also, the fact that the home button finger print scanner can be damaged and ****ed for use so easily is concerning too. So no, it's not something you forget about, especially with something as big and important as GG screens in phones these days.

I also don't purposely try and scratch my phones with pointed metal picks either, so I'm not sure if that YT video is necessarily accurate either...in day to day use, I just keep my phone in my pocket, keys in the opposite pocket.

http://www.androidauthority.com/corning-responds-samsung-galaxy-note-7-scratch-test-video-711210/

It could be that Corning is trading scratch resistance for drop strength with GG 5...and to be scientific, you have to do better than some guy randomly scratching on the screen, he might not being using the same load force between scratch tests. Corning isn't going to test their scratch resistance like that either, they use instruments that can do uniform load and movements, and you can do hundreds/thousands of cycles.

gorilla-glass-5-test.jpg

Sammy, Corning probably are probably considering the most common usage scenarios during testing, plus a few others. Fingers are pretty soft, but can trap dust, and styluses, but those can trap dust as well.

Personally, I think it's all overblown, a) not a real scientific test on YT, and b) no matter what you do, you're going to get scratches - not a miracle that will prevent scratches, just reduce them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I gave in and got the Note 7, I got an Otterbox commuter case, but man they don't have the glass protector yet, I am hoping to go back to Samsung tomorrow and pick one up or maybe Tuesday if my schedule permits me to.

But so far, I like it, some really neat features and I like how much slimmer it is vs the Note 5, which is now my fiance's phone.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I hate that you can't get cheap phones through carriers anymore. I'm on a Note 4 and I'd love to upgrade, but I can't justify spending $800+ on a phone right out or bumping my bill up the $30+ dollars a month to get it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I hate that you can't get cheap phones through carriers anymore. I'm on a Note 4 and I'd love to upgrade, but I can't justify spending $800+ on a phone right out or bumping my bill up the $30+ dollars a month to get it.

Well then why not just buy a budget phone off contract for $300-$450 and keep your plan as is?

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
My S6 got 6.0.1 yesterday :laugh:

S5 got it a long time ago, go figure

I definitely should get a good case though (UAG); the phone looks great but protection is way more important

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
How much bloatware have you disabled?

I bought the international version so it didn't have any bloatware aside from some samsung crap. Also, the latest firmware update has absolutely destroyed battery life. With only moderate web browsing (45mins) and a few texts my battery goes from 100% at 9am, to about 35% at 4pm with no background tasks running and the phone sleeping in between. I've also run all the optimizations. It seems to be a wide issue as well judging from the Sammobile forums.

Last edited:

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I bought the international version so it didn't have any bloatware aside from some samsung crap.

That's a plus. I remedy most androids (owned by even more tech ignorant than I, surprising even me that such exist) by reduction.

Any usual culprits like FB that could be to blame? How are you controlling background apps and data?

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
That's a plus. I remedy most androids (owned by even more tech ignorant than I, surprising even me that such exist) by reduction.

Any usual culprits like FB that could be to blame? How are you controlling background apps and data?

It mainly happens when I pair my bluetooth headphones and when I open the stock messaging app. The stutter is severe, like 3-4 second freeze. Ah well.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
It mainly happens when I pair my bluetooth headphones and when I open the stock messaging app. The stutter is severe, like 3-4 second freeze. Ah well.

Ah. I've heard of numerous problems with Bluetooth and MM/6.0. My SMS is ran through an interface, so I rarely even open the actual app.

I would focus on diagnosing the Bluetooth and the SMS against 3rd party apps.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Lost my nexus 6p today, pretty horrible feeling as it's the first phone I've lost and the first one I've paid outright for.

Is cerberus' tracking fairly accurate? Or could it be off by a few hundred feet?

I lost it on a job site that was moving a lot of material from one place to another. The phone was tracked to an area where one of our work yards is (not to the site where we were hauling). The thing is, our work yard is huge, part of it is a waste material dump/storage.

Tracking shows that it's likely inside the dump which would mean it's lost/burried, but if it's not super accurate it could be in one of the offices. From the pictures taken too I'm not sure if it was hauled away with the waste material because the color is odd, but that could be because of the flash.

KznApii.jpg

This is probably the worst time for this to happen too, with the new nexus devices being released right away the 6p likely would be dropping in price soon, but I can't afford to wait a month or w/e.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->